Texas Hunting Forum

200 Tamales

Posted By: decook

200 Tamales - 11/24/19 01:09 AM

Wow, busy day for my wife and me. We bought a 10lb pork butt and turned it into nearly 200 tamales. The sauce we used was made from Chimayo red powder with some cumin mixed in. We also chopped up 10 Hatch pods for some extra kick. Man these are good!

Here's some of em being bagged up and the last batch steaming.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: 200 Tamales - 11/24/19 01:12 AM

Would. That's a lot of work.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: 200 Tamales - 11/24/19 01:22 AM

cheers food
Posted By: TPACK

Re: 200 Tamales - 11/24/19 01:23 AM

I`ll take 2 dozen . I have made (cooked) a lot of different things that require time and effort but tamales are not one of them. I started to one time and said …...Nope. 12 dollars a dozen for good authentic tamales are a bargain when you look at how much time and hard work is required.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: 200 Tamales - 11/24/19 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by TPACK
I`ll take 2 dozen . I have made (cooked) a lot of different things that require time and effort but tamales are not one of them. I started to one time and said …...Nope. 12 dollars a dozen for good authentic tamales are a bargain when you look at how much time and hard work is required.

That’s no joke. You don’t realize how much work goes into them. I’ll gladly pay up. My wife and mom have done them a few times and let’s just say I’ll be busy if there is a next time.
Posted By: decook

Re: 200 Tamales - 11/24/19 02:06 AM

Yeah, you're not going to make money rolling tamales for a living. It was a great spouse project though, we had fun making them. She spread the masa and I filled. We got in to a pretty efficient pattern and got it done. The good thing about it is I can control the ingredients and make 'em how we like them.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: 200 Tamales - 11/24/19 02:39 AM

I'd be on that like a duck on a june bug. There is nothing better than a good tamale.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: 200 Tamales - 11/24/19 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by TexasKC
I'd be on that like a duck on a june bug. There is nothing better than a good tamale.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: 200 Tamales - 11/24/19 03:20 AM

Heck yeh! Love me some tamales. They ARE worth the work to roll your own.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: 200 Tamales - 11/24/19 05:16 AM

O hell yes food
Posted By: Stub

Re: 200 Tamales - 11/24/19 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by 2Beez
O hell yes food
Posted By: redchevy

Re: 200 Tamales - 11/25/19 05:07 PM

Ive made them 2 times and they have come out great!

I found a tamale masa spreader, little plastic thing that some what resembles a trawl, worth its weight in gold. So easy a gringo could do it and it keeps the masa nice and thin! Im going to get a few people together and we are gonnna make a pile of them soon.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: 200 Tamales - 11/26/19 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Ive made them 2 times and they have come out great!

I found a tamale masa spreader, little plastic thing that some what resembles a trawl, worth its weight in gold. So easy a gringo could do it and it keeps the masa nice and thin! Im going to get a few people together and we are gonnna make a pile of them soon.

I like those spreaders too vs the traditional spoon. Last weekend was my family’s annual tamale making weekend, I missed it due to work. They made 55 dozen. We did 80 dozen last year. Wish I had some right now!
Posted By: PMK

Re: 200 Tamales - 12/02/19 07:27 PM

Mmmmm, tamales! I've never had the opportunity to learn how to make them with someone that knew what they were doing. My dad used to take a skinned/quartered feral hog to an old Mexican lady across town and she would make them on the halves when we provided the meat. they were some of the best I have ever eaten and trust me, I have eaten a few! I wouldn't mind learning how but my wife has no interest whatsoever in stuff like that and believe it would be more than I would want to do all by myself.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: 200 Tamales - 12/02/19 07:51 PM

The thing I like about making tamales is you can do it in stages. I cooked my meat and sauce all one day mixed it up and threw it in the fridge for a few days and then made my masa soaked husks and actually rolled and steamed my tamales.

Actually have a real steamer now instead of the bs I had been using.
Posted By: Ben Kabisch

Re: 200 Tamales - 12/03/19 04:08 PM

I wish I knew how to make them! I sure love some good tamales!! We have a lady at the school that makes them twice a year and I try and buy as many as i can, but it's never enough!ha Speaking of, i need to hit her up and see if she's doing it for Christmas again this year! Thanks for the reminder! grin
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: 200 Tamales - 12/03/19 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Stub

Originally Posted by 2Beez
O hell yes food

food
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum