Texas Hunting Forum

Turkey brine

Posted By: Jimbo1

Turkey brine - 11/16/19 09:46 PM

Wanting to try brining a turkey for the first time for Thanksgiving. What do you have for an easy recipe?
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Turkey brine - 11/16/19 10:12 PM

Pot that will fit in the fridge and hold a turkey, 2 cups of apple juice, 2 cups of brown sugar, 1 cup of chicken broth,1 cup of salt and water until covered. Chill overnight and then flush it real good with fresh water to get the salt off the outside of it. This is what I do before I smoke one and they're always juicy after many hours on the pit.

Re: Turkey brine - 11/16/19 10:17 PM

That seems easy enough. I'm going to try it. Appreciate it greatly.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Turkey brine - 11/16/19 11:24 PM

Glad to help.
Posted By: gtrich94

Re: Turkey brine - 11/20/19 07:46 PM

If you don't have a large enough pot, a 5 gallon Igloo cooler works great. I have one on a shelf in my garage that is dedicated to brining turkeys.

For a brine, I use this one
https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/alton-browns-turkey-brine-51410501

The brine is geared towards a 14lb turkey, so I usually double it for my 20 pounders. I make the brine the afternoon before Thanksgiving and let the turkey soak over night in the garage (unless it's super hot outside). Since it's iced down and in a covered cooler, I will still have ice in the cooler the next morning when I take out the turkey.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Turkey brine - 11/20/19 08:03 PM

Throw some minced garlic in your brine too, never have too much garlic!
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Turkey brine - 11/20/19 08:37 PM

good ides, may try it myself on whatever bird i decide to cook
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Turkey brine - 11/20/19 09:05 PM

I am doing this one this year: Buttermilk-Brined Spice-Rubbed Turkey
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Turkey brine - 11/20/19 09:47 PM

Sugar and salt water for me.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Turkey brine - 11/20/19 11:01 PM

1 to 1.5 cup of salt
2 cups light brown sugar lightly packed
8 garlic cloves, chopped
8 green onions, chopped
1 sweet onion quartered
4 sprigs rosemary, stripped
4 bay leaves
5 TBS peppercorn (I use course grind or cracked instead of whole)
4 cups apple juice or apple cider
2 gallons cold water (might need more or less depending on size of bird)
my mom would also toss in the peels off 2-3 oranges that gave it a nice flavor profile

put all ingredients except 1 gallon of water in a large pot and heat until salt & sugar is dissolved. bring to a boil, the turn off heat and add remaining gallon of water, cover and let cool to room temp. Place uncooked bird in pot with brine solution, might need to weigh bird down to be fully submerged. refrigerate overnight. When ready, remove bird from brine and fully rinse with cool water. discard the brine and cook.

Re: Turkey brine - 11/26/19 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Pot that will fit in the fridge and hold a turkey, 2 cups of apple juice, 2 cups of brown sugar, 1 cup of chicken broth,1 cup of salt and water until covered. Chill overnight and then flush it real good with fresh water to get the salt off the outside of it. This is what I do before I smoke one and they're always juicy after many hours on the pit.

Oops, quick question...Do you boil the mixture first?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum