Texas Hunting Forum

Operation Gringo Tamale II

Posted By: redchevy

Operation Gringo Tamale II - 11/12/19 02:30 PM

Tried my hand at tamales last year, they were good great flavor but I didn’t make my filling moist enough. Made my chilli sauce and cooked the meat last night. Going to warm it up mix up my masa and finish them up tonight.
I didn’t get a picture of the finished meat but will add tomorrow. Used 3 lbs of meat from the hog I shot last weekend.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: driedmeat

Re: Operation Gringo Tamale II - 11/12/19 02:36 PM

Excellent. Perfect weather for it.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Operation Gringo Tamale II - 11/12/19 03:42 PM

Tamale time.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Operation Gringo Tamale II - 11/13/19 03:40 AM

popcorn

Re: Operation Gringo Tamale II - 11/13/19 04:45 AM

Came out pretty good. Going to have to get a real steamer foil and a plate in the bottom of a pot is getting old. Definitely not an old hand at it or anything but getting better. Bought a plastic masa spreader trawl type deal last year and it’s worth it’s weight in gold.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: PMK

Re: Operation Gringo Tamale II - 11/13/19 03:04 PM

up love me some tamales!

Re: Operation Gringo Tamale II - 11/13/19 03:14 PM

For the life of me I don't know how much meat im going to have to make and masa to make a bunch of tamales. I used 3 pounds of meat and made 33 tamales. Last time I used 2 pounds and made 24. Looks like a pound of meat makes about a dozen tamales, I make mine how I want them to be, light on the masa and heavy on the meat! Seems like you cant hardly buy good tamales anymore, they are all thick unseasoned masa, not at all what I remember growing up.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Operation Gringo Tamale II - 11/13/19 04:28 PM

for store bought, most Stripes convenience stores have some really decent tamales ... FYI. The bean, cheese and jalapeno are very good.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Operation Gringo Tamale II - 11/14/19 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by PMK
up love me some tamales!

Heck yeh! Wish I had some right now!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Operation Gringo Tamale II - 11/14/19 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback
Originally Posted by PMK
up love me some tamales!

Heck yeh! Wish I had some right now!

food
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Operation Gringo Tamale II - 11/14/19 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
For the life of me I don't know how much meat im going to have to make and masa to make a bunch of tamales. I used 3 pounds of meat and made 33 tamales. Last time I used 2 pounds and made 24. Looks like a pound of meat makes about a dozen tamales, I make mine how I want them to be, light on the masa and heavy on the meat! Seems like you cant hardly buy good tamales anymore, they are all thick unseasoned masa, not at all what I remember growing up.

Too many people try to cut out the lard, adn cut corners in general. If you grease 'em up they taste a lot better! Sounds like you are on the right path

Re: Operation Gringo Tamale II - 11/14/19 03:25 PM

I used lard in mine. It works well on the cast iron stuff year round also up
Posted By: Stub

Re: Operation Gringo Tamale II - 11/14/19 04:58 PM

Love me some Tamales food
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum