Texas Hunting Forum

Easy Chicken Broccoli hobo dinner

Posted By: PMK

Easy Chicken Broccoli hobo dinner - 10/23/19 06:11 PM

wife came across a recipe that she bought all the ingredients for that i tried this past weekend, came out pretty good and was very easy to prepare..

Ingredients:
~1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
4 cups fresh broccoli
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 packet dry Ranch Dressing seasoning
1 TBS olive oil
4 slices cooked bacon
4 pieces of aluminum foil about 15 inches long

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350⁰F
2. Cut chicken into bite size pieces
3. Cut up fresh broccoli to bite size pieces
4. Place chicken in mixing bowl and coat with 1TBS olive oil.
5. Mix ½ of the Ranch Dressing seasoning into oiled chicken
6. Place approximately 1 cup of broccoli in the center of one piece of foil, sprinkle ¼ remaining ranch dressing if desired.
7. Place approximately ¼ of the chicken on top of the broccoli
8. Place approximately ¼ cup of cheddar cheese on top of the chicken
9. Crumble 1 slice of bacon over the top. Of course you could use more…
10. Fold up the sides of aluminum foil lengthwise and crimp from end to end, fold up the open ends to seal both ends.
11. Repeat to make 4 sealed packages.
12. Place on cookie sheet/cooking tray and into oven for 25-30 minutes until chicken is done.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

forgot to take a picture of finished product before everyone tore into them ... could also make for a great camping meal over a camp fire like traditional hobo dinners using hamburger, potatoes, onion and carrots.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Easy Chicken Broccoli hobo dinner - 10/23/19 08:27 PM

We’ve done something similar as camp packet cooking.... food
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Easy Chicken Broccoli hobo dinner - 10/23/19 08:32 PM

Sounds like a winner.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Easy Chicken Broccoli hobo dinner - 10/24/19 12:39 PM

Man that looks easy, tasty and healthy food I need to eat more of the healthy stuff laugh
Posted By: cm250

Re: Easy Chicken Broccoli hobo dinner - 10/28/19 11:28 PM

Made it last night, added mushrooms! Was good, but seamed to be lacking something??? Believe fajita seasoning on chicken, add a little onion, and Jalapeños, would make it spot on! Just my 2cents
Posted By: PMK

Re: Easy Chicken Broccoli hobo dinner - 10/29/19 06:05 PM

yep, agree ... I made up 3 to that exact recipe and the last one I jazzed up for me ... chopped onion, jalapeno and Fiesta mesquite beef fajita seasoning. The others were for the grandkids, wife and daughter, so left them un-spicey
Posted By: mikei

Re: Easy Chicken Broccoli hobo dinner - 11/03/19 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by PMK
wife came across a recipe that she bought all the ingredients for that i tried this past weekend, came out pretty good and was very easy to prepare..

Ingredients:
~1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
4 cups fresh broccoli
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 packet dry Ranch Dressing seasoning
1 TBS olive oil
4 slices cooked bacon
4 pieces of aluminum foil about 15 inches long

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350⁰F
2. Cut chicken into bite size pieces
3. Cut up fresh broccoli to bite size pieces
4. Place chicken in mixing bowl and coat with 1TBS olive oil.
5. Mix ½ of the Ranch Dressing seasoning into oiled chicken
6. Place approximately 1 cup of broccoli in the center of one piece of foil, sprinkle ¼ remaining ranch dressing if desired.
7. Place approximately ¼ of the chicken on top of the broccoli
8. Place approximately ¼ cup of cheddar cheese on top of the chicken
9. Crumble 1 slice of bacon over the top. Of course you could use more…
10. Fold up the sides of aluminum foil lengthwise and crimp from end to end, fold up the open ends to seal both ends.
11. Repeat to make 4 sealed packages.
12. Place on cookie sheet/cooking tray and into oven for 25-30 minutes until chicken is done.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

forgot to take a picture of finished product before everyone tore into them ... could also make for a great camping meal over a camp fire like traditional hobo dinners using hamburger, potatoes, onion and carrots.

I made this recipe, and with the suggestions of "more seasoning" from members here, I added salt, pepper and seasoned salt to the chicken/olive oil mixture. Turned out wonderful! Next night I reheated one of the packets and then added some Tamari (soy) sauce and a dash of sesame oil, and it became a great Asian style dinner! Nice, versatile recipe, and I believe I'll be trying to substitute the chicken with some fish; or hog backstrap; or deer backstrap; or quail; or dove; or just about any other meat that I think can get done in the 30 minute cook time! Thanks for posting!!
Posted By: FDR

Re: Easy Chicken Broccoli hobo dinner - 11/06/19 12:48 AM

I decided to try this recipe and tweak it by adding some cauliflower, carrots, some lemon pepper and used chicken tenderloins and it turned out pretty well. It was nice for something different.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Easy Chicken Broccoli hobo dinner - 11/06/19 12:54 AM

Got some broccoli growing in my fall garden.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum