Texas Hunting Forum

Chicken in Puff Pastry

Posted By: TLoving

Chicken in Puff Pastry - 10/15/19 09:35 PM

In a Jaime Oliver cookbook I saw a recipe for Chicken breast cooked in Puff pastry with pesto. I decided while I liked the concept I was going to do my own version.

After thawing a package of puff pastry that my wife had in the freezer, I pounded out a chicken breast to an even thickness between two sheets of plastic wrap.

I chopped up 6-7 mushrooms and sweated out some of their moisture in a hot skillet. I chopped up 3-4 garlic cloves as well as some sun dried tomatoes packed in oil.

I piled the chicken, garlic, mushrooms and Sun dried tomatoes onto the puff pastry wrapping the pastry over the top of the pile. Into a 425 degree F oven it went.

While the chicken in pastry was baking I made a quick pesto of basil, toasted walnuts, garlic and olive oil to serve on some cooked spaghetti and steamed broccoli.

All together from starting to cook to beginning to eat was 30-35 minutes.

Next time I serve this dish I will make a good gravy or add goat cheese to my chicken. Also don't skimp on the tomatoes. They add lots of flavor to the dish.

The parchment paper under the chicken helps tremendously with the clean up chores.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Chicken in Puff Pastry - 10/15/19 09:58 PM

looks good!
Posted By: PMK

Re: Chicken in Puff Pastry - 10/15/19 10:03 PM

up ... looks good but I would prefer more moisture, like cheese or gravy/dipping sauce of some kind. I would have also thought the edges would be sealed to start with. I might have to give that a go also.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Chicken in Puff Pastry - 10/15/19 10:50 PM

Wow. Have to try this.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Chicken in Puff Pastry - 10/16/19 12:21 AM

Looks tasty up
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Chicken in Puff Pastry - 10/16/19 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Stub
Looks tasty up
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Chicken in Puff Pastry - 10/18/19 01:18 PM

I'm trying this. What kind of gravy would you make?
Posted By: TLoving

Re: Chicken in Puff Pastry - 10/18/19 02:59 PM

As far as gravy I would likely go the lazy way out, since my hands are pretty busy with the pesto. I would open a package of chicken or turkey gravy that you add the powdered mix and water together in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil for a minute or two until thick.

Choctaw when you try the dish be sure to post some photos.

Re: Chicken in Puff Pastry - 10/18/19 03:02 PM

Thanks, TLoving. I bet we make this in a week or two. If so, I'll be sure to post pics. This looks very good.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Chicken in Puff Pastry - 10/18/19 03:41 PM

Id pick that up and eat it like a samich!

love mushrooms!!! food
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Chicken in Puff Pastry - 10/18/19 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy

love mushrooms!!! food

I was thinking about using frozen pizza dough and making it like a calzone.

Re: Chicken in Puff Pastry - 10/18/19 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Originally Posted by redchevy

love mushrooms!!! food

I was thinking about using frozen pizza dough and making it like a calzone.

That's a good idea as well. You can really pack a calzone with all kinds of goodness.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum