Texas Hunting Forum

how to prepare a Bull Red to eat??

Posted By: Buzzsaw

how to prepare a Bull Red to eat?? - 10/11/19 12:47 AM

wp75169's Bull Red catch got me thinking. How is the best way to cook these big 28"+ redfish?
Posted By: TORNracer

Re: how to prepare a Bull Red to eat?? - 10/11/19 02:35 AM

I like them grilled on the half shell (leave the skin and scales on when you filet them, put that side down towards fire). Brush with butter or olive oil, garlic salt, and whatever else you like. We usually only do this with smaller 5 lb. or so reds though.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: how to prepare a Bull Red to eat?? - 10/11/19 03:40 AM

In general I’d rather throw the bulls back and eat a slot fish. That said you can eat the big ones they are t bad. My two favorite ways to eat reds are blackened and on the half shell. Blackening is straight forward just cut the meat thin enough.

We use to grill on the half shell dusted with tony’s Smear some tomato paste on it top with thin sliced onion butter tabs and Lemmon slices.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: how to prepare a Bull Red to eat?? - 10/11/19 04:27 AM

I wouldn't eat bulls. Worms and what not just do not sound appetizing
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: how to prepare a Bull Red to eat?? - 10/11/19 05:44 AM

I've caught and eaten a lot of bull reds (>40" is a bull to me), my favorite ways to cook the big ones are:

1) Gutted/gilled/scaled and cooked whole on the pit (indirect heat) while basting in butter, pick all the meat off the bones.

2) Cooked on the half shell just like slot fish.

3) Blackened just like a slot fish, but cut into smaller pieces.

4) Fried just like a slot fish, just cut into smaller pieces (nuggets).

5) Redfish couvillion.

Make sure you keep the rib cages and the throats, the throats are my favorite.
If you see any worms just pull them out. Most of the bulls I've eaten didn't have very many.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: how to prepare a Bull Red to eat?? - 10/11/19 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback
I've caught and eaten a lot of bull reds (>40" is a bull to me), my favorite ways to cook the big ones are:

1) Gutted/gilled/scaled and cooked whole on the pit (indirect heat) while basting in butter, pick all the meat off the bones.

5) Redfish couvillion. This one for me.

If you see any worms just pull them out. Most of the bulls I've eaten didn't have very many.
Posted By: don k

Re: how to prepare a Bull Red to eat?? - 10/11/19 01:29 PM

Not a Bull Red but years ago we took the Boss to Sicily. He invited us along and went to one of the Islands near there on a boat. He was going to donate some money for a museum they wanted to build. The prepared a lunch for us and the main course was a big fish. They had gutted it then packed the whole fish in salt then baked it in a big oven. Took it out and removed the skin. Was really good but had never seen a fish prepared that way.
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: how to prepare a Bull Red to eat?? - 10/11/19 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

Same here.

One of my favorite South Texas recipes is taking dried chile pequins and grinding them to a powder, mixing with olive oil and garlic powder to create a paste, then rub on the meat and cook on the half shell.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: how to prepare a Bull Red to eat?? - 10/11/19 01:49 PM

I've seen this before but always forget to save them. "It's the chicken thigh of a fish" - Steve Rinella
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: how to prepare a Bull Red to eat?? - 10/11/19 03:22 PM

I don't keep the bulls either, but you certainly can.

My half shell recipe involves melting butter and mixing with white wine Worcestershire sauce. Brush that on the meat and then add seasoning. Tony's is fine but there are others that I like better. Keep basting with the butter sauce a few times. When the fish flakes, it's done.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: how to prepare a Bull Red to eat?? - 10/13/19 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Thisisbeer
Originally Posted by bill oxner

Same here.

One of my favorite South Texas recipes is taking dried chile pequins and grinding them to a powder, mixing with olive oil and garlic powder to create a paste, then rub on the meat and cook on the half shell.

THAT’s what I’m talking about.
cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum