Texas Hunting Forum

Venison Roast Jerky

Posted By: SenkoSamurai

Venison Roast Jerky - 07/31/19 03:10 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Had an extra roast from a doe I thought I’d try jerkying. Marinating now and will update after the dehydrator tonight. I’m a bigger fan of whole muscle jerky than the ground meat version squeezed out of the gun. What do y’all like?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Venison Roast Jerky - 07/31/19 03:57 PM

Bated breath.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Venison Roast Jerky - 07/31/19 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Bated breath.

Never heard of that kind.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Venison Roast Jerky - 07/31/19 05:28 PM

That's all we make. We use a cure and smoke ours then finish in the oven if needed.
I can't stand that ground meat jerky but many prefer it. We save several whole muscles from all our animals for jerky ,a staple for fall hunting season.
Looks great !
Posted By: PMK

Re: Venison Roast Jerky - 07/31/19 05:38 PM

prefer whole muscle jerky here too. Haven't made any in years since my dad passed. I have his dehydrator and recipes up in the attic but never seem to have the time to play around with that.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Venison Roast Jerky - 07/31/19 06:02 PM

I like the idea of the traditional jerky better but usually find the ground shout out of a gun quicker easier and easier to eat ad not as big a pain in the but getting caught in my teeth.

Re: Venison Roast Jerky - 07/31/19 08:13 PM

agree redchevy ... there is a fine line with traditional jerky on the degree of toughness to being brittle where it hits the sweet spot on being difficult to enjoy without getting stuck in the teeth.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Venison Roast Jerky - 07/31/19 09:09 PM

One of my buddies grandpas has jerky and sausage to a science. I never pass up the opportunity to grab a link or piece of jerky when he offers and he always offers banana

He makes his jerky the traditional way also and its the best ive had. Sadly I don't really think any of the kids/grandkids know how to do it and don't think they care to ask and its going to be gone in a few years.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Venison Roast Jerky - 07/31/19 09:28 PM

yum
Posted By: TLoving

Re: Venison Roast Jerky - 07/31/19 11:34 PM

What seasonings are you using on the jerky?

Re: Venison Roast Jerky - 08/01/19 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by TLoving
What seasonings are you using on the jerky?

Fresh garlic, a little chili powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, Maggi, soy sauce, and teriyaki.

Re: Venison Roast Jerky - 08/01/19 04:47 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Into a 170 degree oven with the door cracked
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Venison Roast Jerky - 08/01/19 08:51 AM

I make them all like them all lol.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pigsicles

Re: Venison Roast Jerky - 08/01/19 10:38 AM

Besides venison, my favorite meat is a tri-tip roast, marinaded in Teriyaki sauce, red flake peppers to taste and a bit of brown sugar and then smoked low and slow on the pellet grill. Really tender and a big hit with family and friends.

[Linked Image]

Re: Venison Roast Jerky - 08/01/19 01:48 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Started at 6pm ish and done by 1:30 am ish. Turned out great! And pigsicles it looks like you have it figured out they all look great!

Re: Venison Roast Jerky - 08/01/19 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
One of my buddies grandpas has jerky and sausage to a science. I never pass up the opportunity to grab a link or piece of jerky when he offers and he always offers banana

He makes his jerky the traditional way also and its the best ive had. Sadly I don't really think any of the kids/grandkids know how to do it and don't think they care to ask and its going to be gone in a few years.

maybe you should show some interest in learning some of his tricks of the trade.

I helped my dad for years and would likely still be doing it but during an estate sale upon his death, his recipe book disappeared and all his fine tuning was lost
bang
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Venison Roast Jerky - 08/01/19 08:47 PM

That looks great..... cheers
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Venison Roast Jerky - 08/02/19 03:45 AM

food chef partyon555
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Venison Roast Jerky - 08/02/19 10:56 AM

Now that looks awesome! cheers
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Venison Roast Jerky - 08/02/19 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by bobcat1
Now that looks awesome! cheers

And a lot of work.
chef
Posted By: Sniper.270

Re: Venison Roast Jerky - 08/11/19 02:10 PM

Just finished 5 lbs myself. Was going to do the ground up gun kind, wife’s favorite. But grinder gave it up and had to be trashed so I just sliced it and put in dehydrater and 4 hours and 50 minutes later, perfection. Used a hickory pack this time.

Re: Venison Roast Jerky - 08/15/19 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper.270
Just finished 5 lbs myself. Was going to do the ground up gun kind, wife’s favorite. But grinder gave it up and had to be trashed so I just sliced it and put in dehydrater and 4 hours and 50 minutes later, perfection. Used a hickory pack this time.

It was destiny!
Posted By: activescrape

Re: Venison Roast Jerky - 08/17/19 06:44 PM

I always do whole muscle. I find it important to defrost until still lightly frozen, then slice, it helps control uniformity. I season with worchestershire, red pepper flakes, coarse ground black pepper, cayenne pepper, a little salt, some seasoning like Fiesta fajita seasoning and sometimes sou or teryiaki sauce. Get it plenty juicy because the meat will soak up lot, which intensifies the flavor once dehydrated. I use the top round muscle mostly but I have used everything from shoulder, anything from the hindquarter and even backstrap. I try to slice cross grain as it does help with the toughness, but I like it chewy.
Posted By: magspa

Re: Venison Roast Jerky - 08/20/19 11:33 AM

What temp do you recommend cooking at in a electric smoker? I have a few roasts left over I am going to try this with. Also how much smoke? seems like it would be easy to over-smoke, I was thinking of just the first hour or so.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Venison Roast Jerky - 08/20/19 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
That looks great..... cheers

That it does food
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum