Texas Hunting Forum

Fruit pies

Posted By: bill oxner

Fruit pies - 07/16/19 11:11 PM

You might want to write this down. Awhile back one of my favorite moderators started a thread on OT about fried pies. My momma made them from scratch for my lunch bag when I was growing up. I had lost a little weight due to my fresh garden salads. Got the hankering. Couldn't find the fried pies in Walmart, but miracles still happen. I came up on these.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Had one after lunch with a spoon of vanilla ice cream.

Ever take a lunch bag to school? Ice cream in the microwave? Momma's love?
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Fruit pies - 07/16/19 11:18 PM

Not bad but HEB has some in the deli that are really good and fresh.

Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Fruit pies - 07/16/19 11:20 PM

Took a lunch bag (brown paper) to school every day usually with a Spam sandwich inside. Ms. Bairds retail stores had their fruit pies and everything else at big discounts but haven't seen one in a while. You have me wanting an apple fruit pie now!

Re: Fruit pies - 07/16/19 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by NORML as can be
Not bad but HEB has some in the deli that are really good and fresh.

I found them in the bread section in HEB when the fried pies thread was posted on OT. They weren't there in Walmart.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Fruit pies - 07/16/19 11:26 PM

Bill, check the coffee isle at Walmart. They may not be there but at the one nearest my house that is their location. I sure do miss my mom's homemade apricot fried pies.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Fruit pies - 07/16/19 11:29 PM

Nothing like fruit pies.
My dog,Sally likes them too.
I kept her in my room after i got her spayed, she got out and and went into my brothers room and found his fried pie stash and ate 2 of the Apple pies. Only 2 wrappers were left.

Re: Fruit pies - 07/16/19 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Old Rabbit
Bill, check the coffee isle at Walmart. They may not be there but at the one nearest my house that is their location. I sure do miss my mom's homemade apricot fried pies.

I think momma's were fried in bacon grease. They made an oil spot on the lunch sack. Cast would love this. She fried them in a cast iron skillet.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Fruit pies - 07/16/19 11:38 PM

We used to have a Mrs Bairds fried pie bakery here, their outlet store was our choice of fried pies. When we were stationed at Dyess in the 1950's my uncle worked maintenance at Mrs Bairds. A bicycle trip half way across town usually resulted in some fresh bread and what ever other goodies we could scrounge out of their breakroom.
Posted By: rjf1911

Re: Fruit pies - 07/17/19 12:15 AM

Anybody had these?

Fried Pies
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Fruit pies - 07/17/19 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by rjf1911
Anybody had these?

Fried Pies

Yes, I don't get to the side of town much (Longview) that has them but will have to now thanks to you.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Fruit pies - 07/17/19 12:40 AM

There is one in Huntsville that we tried. Nothing special except the high price. Mindy Lu’s is better.

Re: Fruit pies - 07/17/19 01:29 AM

My mamma made them from scratch all the way. An apple truck came around and sold apples by the pound. My momma put up applesauce. My daddy bought the farm after the big war. It had a little orchard. We ate green apples with a dash of salt, and later put up applesauce.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Fruit pies - 07/17/19 02:01 AM

My wife makes good ones, usually Apricot. For store bought, Bayers Bakery in Muenster make excellent ones, and the August’s pies are not bad.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Fruit pies - 07/17/19 04:04 AM

I make my own, get frozen Colorado montmorency pitted cherries at the farmers market. They are tart and very good.
You have the best dried peaches in Texas, Cooper Farms when you can get them.

Re: Fruit pies - 07/17/19 10:53 AM

When I was a kid working at Marshall Electronics, I spent a lot of time out back cleaning up junkers we piled out there. There was an old house right next door that made fried pies. I would knock on the window and a nice lady would greet me with a smile and a warm pie for a nickel. Those pies remain my best ever fried pies.
Posted By: 25-06Man

Re: Fruit pies - 07/17/19 01:38 PM

If you are ever in Jefferson Texas,look up Pinky Ma’s Cakes pies and cookies.She sell homemade Fried pies like your Grannie used to make.. Tell her Gary sent you. there’re not cheap but worth every penny.
Posted By: GunsUp18

Re: Fruit pies - 07/17/19 01:54 PM

I love fried pies! My favorite right now are in old downtown Van Alstyne. I can't think of the name of the shop, but they also go to the McKinney's Farmers Market on Saturdays.

I have had the Original Fried Pie shop, not too bad but the ones in the Baker's BBQ joints are good as you can have them add meat to them. An apple or blueberry with pulled pork is amazing
Posted By: chalet

Re: Fruit pies - 07/17/19 02:32 PM

My mom made them from scratch sometimes. Best store bought ones I always thought were August Fried Pies. Used to be a rack of them in most gas stations and grocery stores, ate a ton of them growing up. Looks like they run a small shop only out of Abilene these days.

Re: Fruit pies - 07/17/19 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by GunsUp18
I love fried pies! My favorite right now are in old downtown Van Alstyne. I can't think of the name of the shop, but they also go to the McKinney's Farmers Market on Saturdays.

I have had the Original Fried Pie shop, not too bad but the ones in the Baker's BBQ joints are good as you can have them add meat to them. An apple or blueberry with pulled pork is amazing

They had what they called empanadas when we were in Caymen. They were meat pies to me.
Posted By: rjf1911

Re: Fruit pies - 07/18/19 12:44 AM

I think the the pies from Original are in Bakers locations.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Fruit pies - 07/18/19 01:29 AM

carried brown bag to a 2 room country school, Kalvesta, Ks.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Fruit pies - 07/18/19 06:38 PM

I think that is Jojo's Sweet Treats in VA.
Posted By: Okiedog

Re: Fruit pies - 07/19/19 02:37 AM

Arbuckle Fried Pies in Davis, Ok are pretty darn good. Oh, and while you're there, hit Smokin Joe's BBQ just a mile up the road. You can thank me later!
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Fruit pies - 07/19/19 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Okiedog
Arbuckle Fried Pies in Davis, Ok are pretty darn good. Oh, and while you're there, hit Smokin Joe's BBQ just a mile up the road. You can thank me later!

yep.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Fruit pies - 07/19/19 01:34 PM

My dad loved fried pies. I'm not crazy about them. Their ok i guess. The ones at the Original fried Pie shop are not very good at all IMO.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Fruit pies - 07/19/19 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cast
There is one in Huntsville that we tried. Nothing special except the high price. Mindy Lu’s is better.

Are you talking about the Farmhouse?
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Fruit pies - 07/19/19 02:31 PM

Humbig's fried pies from New Orleans are coming back in 2020 since the factory burned down in 2012. They are really good pies.
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: Fruit pies - 07/19/19 05:08 PM

Bruce's fried pies when I was young were the best, think they were made in Austin. Plain crust without sugary topping and the best filling there was, sadly been out of business for years.
Posted By: Charlie817

Re: Fruit pies - 07/27/19 12:52 AM

The best fried pies I ever ate were August fried pies in Wichita Falls. Bakery was a block away from wife's parent's house. Could get them hot early in the morning. Discount for the broken ones! lol.

Re: Fruit pies - 07/27/19 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Originally Posted by Cast

Are you talking about the Farmhouse?

No they hardly have fried pies anymore. The owners make them and they are busy at their other store I hear.

That fried pie place at the southbound exit to the airport and museum.

Re: Fruit pies - 07/27/19 01:29 AM

Yeah I carried the brown bag lunch to school every day. And I had to fold it carefully and carry it back home in the back pocket of my jeans. I had to reuse my brown bag.

Re: Fruit pies - 08/14/19 07:35 PM

Needed to make room for a new bucket of cherries in my freezer so fried pies it is. Filling made today and frying pies tomorrow.
These tart cherries from Colorado are great, pitted and frozen, bought at the farmers market downtown.

[Linked Image]

Re: Fruit pies - 08/15/19 06:25 PM

Pies are done. They are tart but tasty. No frosting on mine.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Fruit pies - 08/15/19 06:26 PM

Man those look really good! food
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum