Texas Hunting Forum

Pie for Dessert

Posted By: TLoving

Pie for Dessert - 07/11/19 02:40 AM

I made my first lime pie from scratch for tonight's dessert.

https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/key-lime-pie-sorta/

Above is the recipe I used to make the pie. If there is a way to mess up a recipe I am well equipped to discover every flaw in the directions. The recipe called for 18 "whole rectangles" of Graham crackers. My crackers were packed 3 sleeves to a box with 9 crackers per sleeve. So I crushed up 2 sleeves. Even dumb Aggies like me can add 9 + 9 to get 18.

Voila I dumped the crushed crackers into my pie pan and the pan was heaping full. There was not any room for filling. My pie was going to be like a bad tamale. All masa and no filling.... so I split the crust makings in 1/2 to make my crust. Issue solved.

I made the filling and it was easy enough. Except that when I put the filling into the crust it produced a very thin pie. Darn I only purchased enough ingredients for one pie and not two pies. Maybe that is why my mother always made two pies at a time. Maybe two thin pies do something in the oven to get thicker? Still a mystery to me.

Anyway lessons learned. The pie had good flavor, but needs a thicker filling. Now to figure out what to do with enough left over crushed Graham crackers to make a pie.

If you don't have a hand juicer to squeeze the limes and a micro plane to zest the limes, they would make good stocking stuffers at Christmas.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Pie for Dessert - 07/11/19 03:59 AM

Love it.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Pie for Dessert - 07/11/19 10:21 AM

Looks good food (Now to figure out what to do with enough left over crushed Graham crackers to make a pie. ) Make another pie with more filling this time up

When my daughter came home from college last time she made Key Lime pies, Love Them!
Posted By: PMK

Re: Pie for Dessert - 07/11/19 04:34 PM

does sound like a LOT of graham crackers and not much filling ... shooting from memory, 11-12 full sheets or 1.5 cup after ground

funny but I love Lime pie but don't care for Lemon ...
Posted By: chalet

Re: Pie for Dessert - 07/11/19 05:34 PM

Nice. I love a good lemon or lime pie with graham crust.
Posted By: TLoving

Re: Pie for Dessert - 07/11/19 06:32 PM

My wife had hinted a few days before that a "key" lime pie sounded good to her. She is in the 9th year battling cancer and at times certain foods just taste awful to her due to the various forms of chemo that she is taking, so if she wants a key lime pie I try to oblige her.

I didn't see any key limes in the grocery store but I found limes. Close enough for me......

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum