Texas Hunting Forum

Pan fried potatoes

Posted By: bill oxner

Pan fried potatoes - 04/13/19 02:22 PM

I got a request for this on the Gardening Thread. It was one of my favorite dishes when i was growing up. My momma always made pan fried in a cast iron skellet. I later found that the non stick pans worked fine. I started adding onions and bell peppers and called it pan fried potatoes with onions and bell peppers. I gave some new potatoes to a neighbor. His wife made pan fried potatoes with, onions, bell peppers, and polish sausage. I had more yellow squash and zucchini than I could give away. The recipe grew to this.

[Linked Image]

I start with a covered pan until the potatoes are soft, then remove the lid and turn the heat up as I add the other vegetables. It makes a complete meal. You can use any potato you have on hand.
Posted By: don k

Re: Pan fried potatoes - 04/13/19 03:38 PM

That looks good.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Pan fried potatoes - 04/13/19 03:40 PM

My mother would make pan fried potatoes by slicing them across and not length wise. They were rounded and layered in a pan to fry them in an old skillet. She would turn them a few times and the ones on the bottom would be completely done with a light browning kind of crust and the ones in the center would be done and kind of soft like. Homemade gravy over the top and you were in heaven. I try duplicating here dishes all of the time and only come close to how good she was.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Pan fried potatoes - 04/13/19 04:09 PM

I layer potato silver dollars and onion slices in a skillet with bacon grease. Cover and simmer, turn cover and simmer and done. Delish
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Pan fried potatoes - 04/13/19 04:29 PM

The potatoes are on the bottom of this pan. They are pretty well browned. I started them in cooking oil and added a half stick of butter when I added the squash. I start with potatoes and onions to get some caramelization of the onions. I add more onions with the squash.
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Pan fried potatoes - 04/13/19 04:43 PM

Looks good
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Pan fried potatoes - 04/13/19 08:20 PM

Our favorite is pan fried potatoes with diced okra dredged in cornmeal, fry until almost blackened specks start to show, add sliced German sausage, the cheap store stuff. It is finished whne the sausage is fried.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Pan fried potatoes - 04/13/19 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Stevarino
Looks good

That it does Bill up
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Pan fried potatoes - 04/14/19 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Stub
Originally Posted by Stevarino
Looks good

That it does Bill up
Posted By: texfork

Re: Pan fried potatoes - 04/15/19 09:47 AM

Looks great . Makes a good , filling meal .
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Pan fried potatoes - 04/17/19 08:58 PM

Looks great!

I like to make mine with just potatoes and a bunch of carmelized/almost burned onions.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Pan fried potatoes - 04/17/19 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Looks great!

I like to make mine with just potatoes and a bunch of carmelized/almost burned onions.

Yes.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Pan fried potatoes - 04/18/19 01:31 PM

Pan fried taters are an art! It’s a balance of how to cut them up as it pertains to getting folly cooked “meaty” parts vs little crunchies. That looks great Bill! up
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Pan fried potatoes - 04/18/19 01:33 PM

Looks very tasty
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Pan fried potatoes - 04/18/19 02:37 PM

Looks good Bill. I like'm with a whole lot of pepperika like the Toddle House use to make..
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum