Texas Hunting Forum

Sous vide brauts & cast iron onions

Posted By: MeanGreen85

Sous vide brauts & cast iron onions - 04/03/19 05:05 PM

Made a stupid easy meal for the ages last night & plan on adding it to my dinner rotation. A friend suggested sous viding the brauts, and I was skeptical as I usually like them cooked over an open flame - the real reward came from being able to reserve all of the juices/drippings.

Basic instructions:
-Sous vide brauts all day long at 145°
-Remove from bag, reserve juices, pat dry, & finish in oven under the broiler
-While those are finishing in the oven, sauté some sliced onions in a 50/50 mix of butter and oil (choose something with a higher smoke point here to help temper the butter and avoid scorching), salt, crushed red pepper, & garlic powder.
-When the onions are just about done, deglaze the pan with the reserved braut drippings, stir well, & kill the heat.

food food food
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Sous vide brauts & cast iron onions - 04/03/19 05:12 PM

bang

Re: Sous vide brauts & cast iron onions - 04/03/19 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
bang

Lol knock it all you want - I don’t have time during the week to cook these proper in a beer bath or similar. This meal took maybe 5 minutes to set up in the morning before work and another 10-15 minutes to finish & plate once I made it home.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Sous vide brauts & cast iron onions - 04/03/19 05:26 PM

Stop it. I’m fighting the urge to buy one.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Sous vide brauts & cast iron onions - 04/03/19 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cast
Stop it. I’m fighting the urge to buy one.

Get you the Anova sous vide, the app for it is really easy to use, not only do they already have cook times, people have posted their recipes to the app to help with idea.

To the OP, I wonder if an hour would have been enough time for the brats?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Sous vide brauts & cast iron onions - 04/03/19 08:01 PM

Im sure it was good I just don't see the reason to cook a sausage all day long at 140 degrees in a bag. I make this all the time butter in a cast iron skillet over lower/medium heat sear the sausage and onion at the same time in the same pan and have a wonderful sear/crust on the sausage.

Re: Sous vide brauts & cast iron onions - 04/03/19 08:16 PM

I’m sure an hour would be fine - it might not render out as much liquid as what I ended up with, but I don’t think you need 8+ hours for that. The brauts were still super juicy, too.

No real reason for letting it go all day other than I knew I wouldn’t be home until late that day, and I wanted them to be fully cooked through by the time I got home. It was a complete experiment, and the flavor I got out of the onions blew me away.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Sous vide brauts & cast iron onions - 04/03/19 08:24 PM

I wonder what sous vide liver & onions would be like.....

Re: Sous vide brauts & cast iron onions - 04/03/19 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback

sick

Re: Sous vide brauts & cast iron onions - 04/03/19 08:32 PM

I LOVE liver & onions....
Posted By: Stub

Re: Sous vide brauts & cast iron onions - 04/03/19 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock

sick

Oh man I use to love going to Luby's for their Liver & Onions, thats what I would get 99% of the time!

Re: Sous vide brauts & cast iron onions - 04/03/19 10:00 PM

Dry. No drippings for gravy.
Posted By: chalet

Re: Sous vide brauts & cast iron onions - 04/03/19 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Stub

sick

Oh man I use to love going to Luby's for their Liver & Onions, thats what I would get 99% of the time!

Mimi's Cafe had decent liver and onions, haven't been there since the closed the one in Grapevine.

Sous vide concept seems alright, kind of like a fancy crock pot.

Re: Sous vide brauts & cast iron onions - 04/03/19 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Stub

sick

Roger that! Salisbury Steaks & liver & onions at Luby's. food Had that many times for Thanksgiving & Christmas meals. Good stuff. Two of my most favorite things.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Sous vide brauts & cast iron onions - 04/05/19 06:01 PM

whip
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: Sous vide brauts & cast iron onions - 04/06/19 12:07 AM

I'm going to get s sous vide setup, just a matter of when.

Re: Sous vide brauts & cast iron onions - 04/06/19 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Gravytrain
I'm going to get s sous vide setup, just a matter of when.

I like my Anova.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Sous vide brauts & cast iron onions - 04/08/19 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by MeanGreen85
Made a stupid easy meal for the ages last night & plan on adding it to my dinner rotation. A friend suggested sous viding the brauts, and I was skeptical as I usually like them cooked over an open flame - the real reward came from being able to reserve all of the juices/drippings.

Basic instructions:
-While those are finishing in the oven, sauté some sliced onions in a 50/50 mix of butter and oil (choose something with a higher smoke point here to help temper the butter and avoid scorching), salt, crushed red pepper, & garlic powder.
-When the onions are just about done, deglaze the pan with the reserved braut drippings, stir well, & kill the heat.

food food food

I'll need to try this- thanks!

Re: Sous vide brauts & cast iron onions - 04/25/19 03:58 PM

Got my sous vide setup! Cooking a steak. No pics incoming sorry.

Re: Sous vide brauts & cast iron onions - 04/25/19 04:08 PM

Got my sous vide setup! Cooking a steak. No pics incoming sorry.

27 hours at 110 deg?

Re: Sous vide brauts & cast iron onions - 04/25/19 04:50 PM

2.5 hrs at 128

Re: Sous vide brauts & cast iron onions - 04/26/19 12:58 AM

Well I had a learning experience. The meat was a little over a 1" choice rib steak cut off of a tom thumb $3.99 a pound 7 lb rib roast. It was probably on sale for a reason. Sous Vide cooked it perfectly medium rare, but then I didn't make the pile of charcoals high enough so it took too long to sear, and that cooked the steak except for 1/2" in the middle. That would have been fine on a better quality steak. My final product was tougher than I expected. Flavor was fine, except it was over salted.

Re: Sous vide brauts & cast iron onions - 04/26/19 01:02 AM

Well I had a learning experience. The meat was a little over a 1" choice rib steak cut off of a tom thumb $3.99 a pound 7 lb rib roast. It was probably on sale for a reason. Sous Vide cooked it perfectly medium rare, but then I didn't make the pile of charcoals high enough so it took too long to sear, and that cooked the steak except for 1/2" in the middle. That would have been fine on a better quality steak. My final product was tougher than I expected. Flavor was fine, except it was over salted.

So was it better than just grilling it?

Re: Sous vide brauts & cast iron onions - 04/26/19 01:09 AM

Yeah I’m learning to undercook meat the tough way.

Re: Sous vide brauts & cast iron onions - 04/26/19 12:26 PM

Probably not on that tough cheap meat, but I have 4 more steaks to go through and the next one will be on the grill indirect 8 min then sear.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Sous vide brauts & cast iron onions - 04/27/19 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by MeanGreen85

Basic instructions:

food food food

No pics.....didn’t happen.... stir

worthless

Re: Sous vide brauts & cast iron onions - 04/28/19 05:44 PM

Kroger has their house brats & sausages on sale for $1.99lb. Stay tuned for pics later this week...

[Linked Image]

Re: Sous vide brauts & cast iron onions - 05/18/19 02:53 AM

Probably not on that tough cheap meat, but I have 4 more steaks to go through and the next one will be on the grill indirect 8 min then sear.

It tasted better on the charcoal grill, hickory chips added sear 2 1/2 min each side then 6 min indirect heat. Tasted better but still tough, low quality meat.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum