Texas Hunting Forum

So, I got this roast...........

Posted By: Buzzsaw

So, I got this roast........... - 03/16/19 04:28 PM

Bought a nice, 3# Angus chuck roast yesterday. Gonna do something with it today. My choices so far, and I'm not too creative and I'm trying to stay on KETO, so no beer or sugars or potatoes. I did grab a couple big Poblanos and asparagas to have with it. SO:

1. In the oven, 250-300, couple hours?
2. Since weather is nice, maybe on my Kettle grill over an indirect fire for a couple hours?

You pick clap
Posted By: Cast

Re: So, I got this roast........... - 03/16/19 04:32 PM

Corn it?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: So, I got this roast........... - 03/16/19 04:34 PM

In the oven at 300° for a couple of hours. Water in the bottom and onion soup mix over the top. Maybe an onion.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: So, I got this roast........... - 03/16/19 04:49 PM

Put some smoke on it, then finish it in the croc pot with onion soup mix, onions, garlic, worcestershire sauce and mushrooms.

Re: So, I got this roast........... - 03/16/19 04:50 PM

Well, it’s a chuck roast so it’s tough. Low and slow. I’ve heard that they smoke well but have no experience with smoked chuck.

A pot roast like Bill started but add carrots and celery to the pot plus extra liquid for drippings. Serve with rice. Oh , no carbs, so that’s out.

Re: So, I got this roast........... - 03/16/19 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cast
Well, it’s a chuck roast so it’s tough. Low and slow. I’ve heard that they smoke well but have no experience with smoked chuck.

A pot roast like Bill started but add carrots and celery to the pot plus extra liquid for drippings. Serve with rice. Oh , no carbs, so that’s out.

So are carrots, them boys are loaded with sugar.

Re: So, I got this roast........... - 03/16/19 05:02 PM

Onions and rice too. Without carbs, smoking is the only way to get it to taste good.

Ya know I remember pulling a chuck after crock potting it all day with a can of chipotle in there with it. It pulled apart and made great sandwiches. That would be light on carbs. Get a bag of cracklings and dig in. It had a hot smoky taste.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: So, I got this roast........... - 03/16/19 06:51 PM

I always cook them longer. I like them to fall apart. More like 4 hours.

Re: So, I got this roast........... - 03/16/19 08:17 PM

what is the best cut of beef for pot roast?

i decided a dump roast, just dumped a bunch of spices, oils, sauces, covered it in the oven for a couple hours, then uncover for another hour

Re: So, I got this roast........... - 03/16/19 08:32 PM

You done good Buzz.

Re: So, I got this roast........... - 03/16/19 09:00 PM

wish you were here to share chef food

Re: So, I got this roast........... - 03/16/19 11:42 PM

it sucked , like chewing a snake boot bang

Re: So, I got this roast........... - 03/16/19 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
it sucked , like chewing a snake boot bang

Hang tough. It will get better tomorrow. Let it get cold and slice it thin against the grain. Top it with horseradish,

Re: So, I got this roast........... - 03/17/19 12:12 AM

You need to cook chuck roast longer. 3 hrs isn't enough.

Re: So, I got this roast........... - 03/17/19 02:29 AM

up

Re: So, I got this roast........... - 03/17/19 02:45 AM

Go with 325 for 4-5 hrs. If it's marbled it will get tender in 4, If lean it will take a little longer.
Posted By: Stub

Re: So, I got this roast........... - 03/17/19 11:02 AM

Did your dog like it?
Posted By: topwater13

Re: So, I got this roast........... - 03/17/19 12:13 PM

You could have thrown in the slow cooker for half a day with a bunch of anaheim peppers, garlic and one onion. After about 5 hrs remove the beef, use a hand blender to puree the peppers and onions into a nice green sauce. Then shred the beef and add back in. A little cheese, corn tortilla and you're good to go. KETO would have to go without the tortilla but I do this often with beef and pork....always is good. Pending on the beef, you may need to add a little fat. Season how you normally would mexican food.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: So, I got this roast........... - 03/17/19 01:09 PM

Trash It and go to Luby's for the blue Light Special!

Re: So, I got this roast........... - 03/17/19 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
what is the best cut of beef for pot roast?

i decided a dump roast, just dumped a bunch of spices, oils, sauces, covered it in the oven for a couple hours, then uncover for another hour

Yeah that turned out tough as shoe leather. It didn’t have a chance. You can still save it by stewing with a can of chipotle. Chucks are usually stewed with tomatoes, onions, carrots and potatoes. All full of carbs. So the best I got for you is the chipotle and it’ll have a few carbs too.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: So, I got this roast........... - 03/17/19 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by jetdad
You need to cook chuck roast longer. 3 hrs isn't enough.

I wanted to say the same thing, but did not. It take as long as it takes. The temp was a little low as well. I would put it back in the oven and cook it till it was fork tender.
Posted By: chalet

Re: So, I got this roast........... - 03/17/19 02:50 PM

I have a 3# chuck roast going in the crock pot today for 10 hrs on low with onions, bell pepper, few cloves of garlic, couple carrots and black pepper. Will serve this evening with some brown gravy and white rice or mashed potatoes. Probably my wife's favorite Sunday evening meal.

Low and slow is about the only way to cook these things. If I was low carbing it prob just use an onion, garlic, black pepper and make some cabbage on the side.
Posted By: MeanGreen85

Re: So, I got this roast........... - 03/17/19 03:02 PM

Cubed and stewed with some veggies would be my go-to for a chuck. Or maybe grind it and make some burgers.
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: So, I got this roast........... - 03/18/19 01:17 PM

Hey I've been doing the keto thing for quite a while. First and most importantly carbs in beer will not affect your ketosis. Alcohol metabolizes differently and can not be stored as glycogen like other carbs. It will however slow your wight loss because first your body burns the carbs from the alcohol before anything else.

Second, I was really surprised when I smoked a chuck roast. They're awesome smoked just like a brisket. I highly recommend it. People mess these cuts up all the time. Somewhere around the 4-5 hour mark they go from shoe leather to melt apart tender. Just cook it to an internal temperature of 190°f-203°f. It's going to take several hours. The temperature isn't that important. But when you check it with a temperature probe the probe should go in like it's going into hot butter. Bonus - If you want to make "chopped beef" after you get done put the chopped beef back into a foil pan with a ½ cup of beef broth and re-season with your brisket rub. Then throw it back on the smoker for 30-45 minutes.

Re: So, I got this roast........... - 03/18/19 02:48 PM

I actually did a chuck roast in the sous vide last week, 135 degrees for 29 hours, I was interested in seeing if it would stay together or just fall apart, well it stayed together and I was happy with the results.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: So, I got this roast........... - 03/18/19 04:54 PM

That looks outstanding. I love my Sous Vide.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: So, I got this roast........... - 03/18/19 07:07 PM

Cut the roast into chunks about 1-1.5 inch cubes, add a diced onion some salt pepper and garlic and cover in water. Simmer over medium heat covered stirring occasionally. It will make a gravy and be melt in your mouth tender. That is what I know as pot roast.

You can cook it the same way as above cut in smaller chunks add a bell pepper and cumin and have carne guisada both are very good.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum