Texas Hunting Forum

Corned Beef

Posted By: TPACK

Corned Beef - 03/16/19 01:58 PM

I went ahead and got mine at Kroger for 3.49 lb. and cooked it in the slow cooker on high for 6 hours . It had an internal temp of 202° so I let it rest then wrapper in foil and put in fridge. I plan on making sandwiches tomorrow and vacume sealing what we do not eat within the next few days. Never had corned beef until last year but I am now a fan. I just used the packet that was furnished for seasoning and added black pepper, 2 bay leaves and 1 can of chicken broth...…. How do cook your corned beef? [Linked Image]
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Corned Beef - 03/16/19 02:03 PM

I had never even tried corned beef til last year and ended up liking it. Never made it but guess I may have to give it a try. If it’s that easy, of course probably won’t come out as good But won’t know until I try.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Corned Beef - 03/16/19 02:36 PM

Greatness. Love it.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Corned Beef - 03/16/19 03:03 PM

When I get tired of venison pastrami I’ll try corned venison. I might try smoking one.
Posted By: Pigsicles

Re: Corned Beef - 03/17/19 11:53 AM

Corned beef with cabbage, onion and red potatoes in the crockpot is fine eating. Do it every year to celebrate St Patrick day. Secret is to have an adequate supply of Guinness to marinade the cook while crock pot does its magic.
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Corned Beef - 03/17/19 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Pigsicles
Corned beef with cabbage, onion and red potatoes in the crockpot is fine eating. Do it every year to celebrate St Patrick day. Secret is to have an adequate supply of Guinness to marinade the cook while crock pot does its magic.

Spot on here. May sub Titos for Guinness. I have one flat cut and two points I am cooking today. HUGE price difference. Going to see how each of the finished product measures up. I normally only buy flat cuts. There is a ton of of flavor in the corned brisket...I normally just add a little garlic, black pepper and some salt then cover with water. After the meat gets soft, I usually throw in the red potatoes and cabbage. Hard to beat. Today I will have one in the slow cooker and two on the stove.

Re: Corned Beef - 03/17/19 04:23 PM

Here is the finished product. It has been in the fridge for 2 days and super easy to slice. It taste great and super tender. Toasted rye bread, sauerkraut, swiss and russian dressing later today. Might even have a green beer.

[Linked Image]

Re: Corned Beef - 03/17/19 04:37 PM

The Reuben was easier for me to make by using squeeze margarine. A little squeeze and then into the pan. Squeeze again and turn it, add the Swiss, heat the corned beef , dressing, and kraut in the microwave for thirty seconds. Turn the heated beef and kraut over the cheese, top it with the other slice of toast, press it with your spatula, and plate it.

Ta da.

[Linked Image]

Re: Corned Beef - 03/17/19 04:42 PM

What dressing did you use? Margarine is bad for humans.

Re: Corned Beef - 03/17/19 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cast
What dressing did you use?

I used thousand island but plan to make more next week and have Russian on my list. The rye is the most expensive bread in the store. It's $3.60 for a half loaf of 12 slices. It's wrapped twice and difficult to remove from the package.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Corned Beef - 03/17/19 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by TPACK
Here is the finished product. It has been in the fridge for 2 days and super easy to slice. It taste great and super tender. Toasted rye bread, sauerkraut, swiss and russian dressing later today. Might even have a green beer.

[Linked Image]

That turned out really nice..... food

Re: Corned Beef - 03/17/19 04:58 PM

I like thousand island too. Bologna, thousand island and white bread is our road food. Every gas station has it.

I looked at Russian dressing too. Sounds a lot like ketchup. I remember liking it on salads though, so it’s on my list too.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Corned Beef - 03/18/19 04:38 PM

up looks great! I picked up a corned beef brisket at HEB on Sat., fired up the smoker and let it roll.pulled it at 200 and placed in corning ware to cool, then into the fridge. will take some pictures when I pull it to slice it

Re: Corned Beef - 03/18/19 05:33 PM

I like thousand island too. Bologna, thousand island and white bread is our road food. Every gas station has it.

I looked at Russian dressing too. Sounds a lot like ketchup. I remember liking it on salads though, so it’s on my list too.

Fount this at HEB today. Also, got lucky on my rye bread. It had a dollar coupon on there.

[Linked Image]

Re: Corned Beef - 03/19/19 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

Fount this at HEB today. Also, got lucky on my rye bread. It had a dollar coupon on there.

[Linked Image]

Just had it for lunch. Preferred the Russian dressing over the Thousand Island.
Posted By: okiehuntr

Re: Corned Beef - 03/20/19 01:41 AM

Cooking 3 flats totaling 10.5 pounds, coat with mustard and enclosed spices, wrap twice tightly in heavy duty foil so they are steam cooked, I throw them in my smoker/oven, I do not used wood chips just as an oven...cook overnight 225 for 12 hours, serve with red basil spuds.
Then for the next couple days I over indulge in Rubin sandwiches and make a killer corned beef hash.
I do this every year for the NCAA basketball tourney.

Re: Corned Beef - 03/21/19 11:12 PM

Jewish rye bread(sprayed with pam spray)
Russian dressing(homemade)
Corned beef
Swiss
Sauerkraut
Bacon

[Linked Image]

Re: Corned Beef - 03/21/19 11:29 PM

That looks great. My favorite sandwich. Did you spray the bread or the pan?

I finally got rid of my smoked brisket and bought some corned beef. Trying it tomorrow.

Re: Corned Beef - 03/22/19 01:24 PM

That looks great. My favorite sandwich. Did you spray the bread or the pan?

I finally got rid of my smoked brisket and bought some corned beef. Trying it tomorrow.

I assembled the sandwich and the sprayed both sides before finishing in a pan. I really liked the Jewish rye bread. I used it to make a BLT/ with fried egg and it was really good.

Re: Corned Beef - 03/22/19 03:01 PM

Recipe for Russian dressing?

Re: Corned Beef - 03/22/19 03:41 PM

Recipe for Russian dressing?

Mayonnaise--1/2 cup
Ketchup--1/4 cup
Horseradish--2 Tbsp
Lemon juice--1 Tbsp
Worcestershire Sauce--2Tbsp
1 slice of onion chopped finely.
Salt and pepper to taste.

The above measurements are not exact since I did not measure anything. I watched a few youtube videos and then eyeballed everything.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum