Texas Hunting Forum

Chicken and Dumplings

Posted By: Struggle

Chicken and Dumplings - 01/28/19 12:17 AM

Do you use biscuits or tortillas? We prefer tortillas in ours.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Chicken and Dumplings - 01/28/19 12:27 AM

My moms made them from scratch when I was growing up. Lots of black pepper. Never cooked them myself.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Chicken and Dumplings - 01/28/19 12:28 AM

Homemade dumplings...eggs, flour, spices and touch of baking powder. Roll it out thin on the counter top and cut it them to size. They will fill up the pot if you are not careful.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Chicken and Dumplings - 01/28/19 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
Homemade dumplings...eggs, flour, spices and touch of baking powder. Roll it out thin on the counter top and cut it them to size. They will fill up the pot if you are not careful.

Same here.....

We cut ours 1/2” wide 1” long 1/4” thick
Posted By: Stub

Re: Chicken and Dumplings - 01/28/19 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

Same here.....

I guess you are talking about biscuits?
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Chicken and Dumplings - 01/28/19 01:33 AM

Home made here, the one thing I can cook better than my mother did.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Chicken and Dumplings - 01/28/19 01:34 AM

Tortillas in chicken & dumplings? wtf
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Chicken and Dumplings - 01/28/19 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by skinnerback
Tortillas in chicken & dumplings? wtf

My first thought too peep
Posted By: Struggle

Re: Chicken and Dumplings - 01/28/19 01:40 AM

Try it, it’s good.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Chicken and Dumplings - 01/28/19 03:48 AM

I won't knock it till I try it to be honest. I have never heard of that. Pics?
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: Chicken and Dumplings - 01/28/19 01:42 PM

My mother-on-law does hers with tortillas. It's good. But, it can't touch my homemade dumplings with green onions in them.

I really couldn't call what she makes chicken and dumplings. Dumplings are a pretty specific thing. A dumpling is a biscuit that's steamed or cooked in liquid.

What she makes is good. But I would call it chicken and tortillas or a base for tortilla soup.

Below is my Dumpling recipe-

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 tbsp baking powder
• 2 tsp kosher salt
• 1/4 cup green onions
• 2 large eggs
• 1 cup buttermilk [list]
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Chicken and Dumplings - 01/28/19 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Stub

Same here.....

No Sir....dumplings made from scratch and rolled out on a cutting board, cut into strips about a 1/2” wide then the strips are cut into 1” lengths and dropped in the pot....

No biscuits or tortillas for us....
Posted By: TLoving

Re: Chicken and Dumplings - 01/29/19 02:21 AM

I make mine from scratch. I drop spoonfuls of the dough into hot simmering stock. I put a lid on the pot and cook them for 5 minutes. Next I roll the dumplings over and cook the other side about 5 minutes more. When I cut into the dumplings they are moist on the outside and dry like a biscuit on the inside. Sometimes I will add a little Italian Seasoning or oregano to the dough giving the dumplings a little different flavor.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Chicken and Dumplings - 02/01/19 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Stub

Same here.....

No Sir....dumplings made from scratch and rolled out on a cutting board, cut into strips about a 1/2” wide then the strips are cut into 1” lengths and dropped in the pot....

No biscuits or tortillas for us....

From scratch for me as well. Flour, water and salt and pepper. They turn out tender and great.

I had to much left over and decided to vacume seal and freeze. I was not happy with the texture of the dumplings when it was thawed out to reheat. Will not freeze again.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum