Posted By: Dink Dodger

Feral Hams - 01/01/19 01:04 PM

Just made the brine. Stay tuned
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Feral Hams - 01/01/19 03:47 PM

popcorn

Re: Feral Hams - 01/01/19 04:13 PM

These are about 4lbs each. I'll let them go about 3 days rotating each morning and evening. I wanted to leave the hocks on but they wouldn't fit in the bag. Every time I make hams I say I'm going to figure out something they'll fit in but I haven't yet. Maybe next time...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Feral Hams - 01/01/19 04:39 PM

Get vacuum seal bags and cut them to the size you need.

Re: Feral Hams - 01/01/19 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by krmitchell
Get vacuum seal bags and cut them to the size you need.

up you got a head on you like a housecat
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Feral Hams - 01/01/19 07:14 PM

Looks great! I just did the same with a little 25 lb pig in a crock pot. Hard to beat! cheers
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Feral Hams - 01/02/19 06:22 AM

Following popcorn
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: Feral Hams - 01/02/19 06:31 AM

Ive never tried making ham before. May have to try it.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Feral Hams - 01/02/19 03:00 PM

You can also buy 2 or 2.5 gallon ziplock bags that would work.

Looks good, looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

Re: Feral Hams - 01/02/19 11:01 PM

Not much to report today. They are turning that grayish tint meaning the brine is working

Originally Posted by redchevy
You can also buy 2 or 2.5 gallon ziplock bags that would work.

Looks good, looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

I have some of the 2gal bags but they didn't quite work like I wanted them to. I have some of the cut to fit vac bags that should work perfect, just didn't think of it at the time.

Nathan, shoot me your email and I'll send you a word doc with the recipe and how I do it.

This is the same recipe I sent to Spencer and redchevy. Its really easy and better than any store bought ham. I just haven't shot a pig the last 2 years, they are kinda scarce where we hunt. Should be a good thing... Until you want ham

Re: Feral Hams - 01/04/19 05:53 PM

They are cured. I'll let them sit in fresh water for about 8-10 hours to leach out some of the salt

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Feral Hams - 01/04/19 06:59 PM

Looking good..... up
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Feral Hams - 01/04/19 07:17 PM

up popcorn

Re: Feral Hams - 01/05/19 02:20 AM

Leached them for 8 hours. Patted them dry and will leave them in the fridge uncovered to form a pellicule. 24 hours is usually enough. Will put them on the smoker tomorrow night or Sunday morning.
Getting close..
. [Linked Image]

Re: Feral Hams - 01/05/19 06:44 AM

food
Posted By: Stub

Re: Feral Hams - 01/05/19 11:54 AM

popcorn for food
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Feral Hams - 01/05/19 03:12 PM

food up
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: Feral Hams - 01/06/19 03:00 AM

Can you send me the recipe also?

Re: Feral Hams - 01/06/19 05:16 AM

Yes sir Doc. Shoot me your email address.
If anyone else is interested, I just need an email address. I wrote this up for a guy who was new to curing and smoking meats so it is a full write up in simple terms and easy to follow. The only change I would make is in the instructions I state that 2 small hams can be cured in the same bag. I have since changed my thinking unless your hams are very small, probably less than 2 1/2 lbs each. A 75-100lb pig will have about 4-6lb hams with the hock cut off and they just seem to cure better with their own batch of brine.There is also a copy cat recipe/instructions for honey baked hams "glaze" that is really good on a smoked ham.
This is so easy to do. It is mostly sitting in the fridge while the brine does it's work. And it is better than any store bought ham I've eaten.

It"s kind of a long story but my wife's stepsister is a "vegetarian" supposedly and announces it to everyone she meets. "Hi, my name is Christy and I'm a vegetarian". A 100% Portland Oregon, tree hugging, granola eating lliberal.
She showed up for Christmas one year and I had taken one of these hams for dinner. Everyone kept on about how good it was to the point she stared asking all kinds of questions. "So this is a boar you killed?" Yes a huge mean SOB, it was actually more self defense. "So you shot it?" No I grabbed him when he charged and broke his neck. "Really?" Umhmm. "So you butchered it yourself?" Yep... This went on all day, well after we had eaten.
Anyway, there was a sandwich baggie of leftovers and my MIL kept the bone for her New Years black eyed peas. MIL texts me the next day, at least half of the leftovers disappeared overnight. I've never had an opportunity to ask her how she liked it, but I'm sure she would lie about it anyway.

Re: Feral Hams - 01/06/19 01:40 PM

roflmao roflmao roflmao

Re: Feral Hams - 01/06/19 01:41 PM

Got them on the smoker!
I sold my stick burner a few years ago and only have a MES. I'm slowly figuring out how to get sausages done on this thing but I'm not sure I like it. My wife even says she can tell a difference, so we'll see how these come out.
They'll get some hickory for a few hours.
[Linked Image]

Re: Feral Hams - 01/06/19 01:53 PM

food

Need to vac seal and freeze some and send it to the step-SIL.... rofl

Re: Feral Hams - 01/06/19 02:12 PM

Hahaha, Jes. roflmao If she would tell the truth, I might. I've already had to tell her that fish, cheese and eggs are not vegetables. Yes sir, she'll eat a Veggie omlet filled with cheese, refuses to acknowledge that an egg is an embryotic chicken.
Luckily I've only had to tolerate her 3 times in 18 years.

Re: Feral Hams - 01/06/19 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dink Dodger
Hahaha, Jes. roflmao If she would tell the truth, I might. I've already had to tell her that fish, cheese and eggs are not vegetables. Yes sir, she'll eat a Veggie omlet filled with cheese, refuses to acknowledge that an egg is an embryotic chicken.
Luckily I've only had to tolerate her 3 times in 18 years.

I'd do it just to poke-the-bear....all libs need a good poke every once in a while...... stir rofl

Hams are looking great.... up

Re: Feral Hams - 01/06/19 06:01 PM

They're done!
Just under 5 hours, pulled them at 150*. I'll let them rest a while before cutting them.
Anyone want to guess what I'm having for dinner? What would you fix to go with it?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: Feral Hams - 01/06/19 06:18 PM

looks awesome. i need to go kill some pigs now

Re: Feral Hams - 01/06/19 06:29 PM

Kill some with some fat on them Doc. I hoping these aren't dry. That is all of the fat that was on these, I didn't trim anything. It was a very healthy pig but probably the leanest one I've ever seen.

Re: Feral Hams - 01/06/19 07:16 PM

Pot of beans, mac n cheese, and bacon wrapped baked green beans.....looks amazing Sir!

This is bacon wrapped asparagus....works well with green beans too.....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Cast

Re: Feral Hams - 01/06/19 08:13 PM

Why didn’t you put a bacon hat on the hams?

Re: Feral Hams - 01/06/19 09:17 PM

I thought about it Cast but just decided to let it ride. They turned out good, not dry at all.
Jes you and I were on the same wavelength. Just got back from the store with navy beans and my wife is going to make scalloped potatoes.
[Linked Image]

Re: Feral Hams - 01/06/19 09:19 PM

That ham looks incredible! Well done Sir....well done...... food

Re: Feral Hams - 01/06/19 10:03 PM

Thanks Jess and thanks for following along.
You should try it sir.

Re: Feral Hams - 01/06/19 10:29 PM

Thanks for posting this up....on my list now is sauerkraut, bacon, and now ham.....love this forum.... cheers

Re: Feral Hams - 01/06/19 11:35 PM

Yum! That looks great Dink!
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Feral Hams - 01/07/19 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Dink Dodger
These are about 4lbs each. I'll let them go about 3 days rotating each morning and evening. I wanted to leave the hocks on but they wouldn't fit in the bag. Every time I make hams I say I'm going to figure out something they'll fit in but I haven't yet. Maybe next time...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Try the 2.5 gallon zip-lock bags at Walmart.

Re: Feral Hams - 01/07/19 01:18 AM

Thanks Bobby. You should try these too on your pellet smoker.

DL.I have some.of the 2gal bags and they wouldn't quite work.

Here's one last picture. It was pretty tasty
[Linked Image]

Re: Feral Hams - 01/07/19 12:28 PM

Killin me!
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Feral Hams - 01/07/19 02:54 PM

Looks great and better than store bought. Might try that myself. Needing to kill a pig for a while now, out of breakfast sausage!
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: Feral Hams - 01/08/19 12:10 PM

Looks awesome! If you are an Amazon user search 6" hotel pan. It measures 20-3/4-inch length by 12-3/4-inch width by 6-inch height. I have used it to brine whole venison quarters. Pretty handy buy for under $30 in my opinion.

As for SIL, ask her to look into how many times a combine has rolled over an innocent animal so she could have her cruelty free food.
Posted By: greenen

Re: Feral Hams - 01/08/19 03:36 PM

Those look really good. Going to see if I can round a few hams up.

Re: Feral Hams - 01/09/19 04:40 AM

Looks incredible food
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Feral Hams - 01/09/19 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Thanks for posting this up....on my list now is sauerkraut, bacon, and now ham.....love this forum.... cheers

No joke, get some great food tips, recipes, and know how on here.

Ham looks great, now if we could just get a good hog to volunteer for the cause....
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Feral Hams - 01/09/19 03:23 PM

Hams look great! I need to go out and see if i can get a pig or two. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Feral Hams - 01/10/19 05:10 AM

Man those came out awesome! I'm curious as to the hog you used, maybe I missed it. Was this a young sow?

Re: Feral Hams - 01/10/19 10:59 PM

It was a small boar. About 75lbs
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Feral Hams - 01/12/19 03:53 AM

Best looking feral ham I have ever seen.

Brine??
How long? Salt, sugar, water?

Rub?
Smoker? I’m gonna

Re: Feral Hams - 01/12/19 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
Best looking feral ham I have ever seen.

Brine??
How long? Salt, sugar, water?

Rub?
Smoker? I’m gonna

Thanks Roll-Tide. PM me your email and I'll send you a word doc with the recipe and process. Look on page 2 of this thread about the 15th post for minor changes.
Posted By: pkhunter624

Re: Feral Hams - 01/12/19 05:10 AM

Great looking ham. I've got 2 hogs in the freezer would like to try this. Would appreciate the recipe I'll send you my email. Thanks PK
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Feral Hams - 01/12/19 05:37 AM

Would food
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: Feral Hams - 01/28/19 05:33 AM

Those look like they turned out great! Have two hams in the freezer but think I may wait till we shoot a fatty to try this out. Cant wait!

Re: Feral Hams - 01/29/19 02:46 AM

Thanks Nathan. Let me know when you do.
Posted By: activescrape

Re: Feral Hams - 01/29/19 02:12 PM

Looks great. Makes me want to try it. One question though, 150 degrees isn't very hot, is there no worry about that?
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Feral Hams - 01/30/19 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by activescrape
Looks great. Makes me want to try it. One question though, 150 degrees isn't very hot, is there no worry about that?

On cured meat with high salt content most of what one might worry about is taken care of with the curing process

Re: Feral Hams - 01/30/19 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by kmon1
Originally Posted by activescrape

On cured meat with high salt content most of what one might worry about is taken care of with the curing process

Yes sir 150-155 is good. A lot of recipes say 165 but they will be very dry. Any more than 155 especially a feral pig will start getting dry.
If I know that I'm going to freeze them to reheat later, I'll pull them at 140-145. When I'm ready to reheat them, after thawing, I'll wrap them in a couple of layers of saran wrap and then wrap in foil and reheat to 150-155.

There is a chart somwhere in Google land that shows how long cured meats need to be held at a given temp to destroy any bacteria.
Basically 165 for zero minutes
160 for five minutes
155 for ?? minutes etc.
Don't quote me on these numbers, just giving these as examples. I'll look for the link.
I ate a lot of dry crumbly sausage before i ran across that chart.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum