Texas Hunting Forum

Field Dressing/Processing

Posted By: mikereiling5

Field Dressing/Processing - 12/19/18 06:36 PM

Let me preface this post by saying I am a 29 year old beginner, as stated in other posts. But I am wondering what the difference is and what most people do when they are harvesting animals.
I have read articles where cleaning a pig or deer correctly is tough, especially the packaging the part. What can I expect and what is the best way to learn?
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Field Dressing/Processing - 12/19/18 06:52 PM

You tube.

Cleaning a deer is not difficult. Take your time. A few different methods out there. Find one that works for you. There are the guys who try to impress you with how fast they can do it. I just take my time, I am no expert.

I don’t gut hogs anymore. They’re nasty.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Field Dressing/Processing - 12/19/18 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
Take your time.

Most important. Take into account, you're gonna be excited. After slicing my thumb wide open and barely missing the tendon, a couple of years ago, (and I've cleaned a lot of deer) I was telling the processor that with the heat, it was July on an Axis, I just got in a hurry. He responded, "Yep, we call that 'Hurry up and die.'"
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Field Dressing/Processing - 12/19/18 07:11 PM

Like above, there are some good videos on youtube on the full process of field dressing skinning quartering deboning and processing deer/hogs.

Have fun and be careful. The first step in a good field dressing/processing experience is a cleanly killed animal. Practice shooting and study where to place your shot. Then follow the videos on youtube whichever one you prefer.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Field Dressing/Processing - 12/19/18 10:44 PM

as others stated, YouTube is your friend and take your time.

basic field dressing from TPWD video ...

another video that explains what he's doing and why ...
Posted By: TruckMan66

Re: Field Dressing/Processing - 12/20/18 02:41 AM

I have a suggestion. One of the things I've been trying is using a fillet knife on the meat and deboning of the meat. So far it's been good. Just use a small one and don't expect it to cut any bones. You would not want to use it for field dressing only for processing.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Field Dressing/Processing - 12/20/18 03:24 AM

I process a bunch of animals every year. It’s not difficult. Just take your time and you’ll figure out the best way for you.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Field Dressing/Processing - 12/21/18 03:34 AM

I’ll help you out a little. Go to a feed store or vet supply and get some palpating sleeves then get some good latex gloves. Slide the sleeves all the way up your arms and put the latex gloves on. You can clean a deer or pig easy without getting all bloody.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Field Dressing/Processing - 12/21/18 04:40 AM

Depending on where you plan to field dress. If at camp have clean coolers with ice, for quartering put meat in cooler with ice all around. For backstrap and other pieces of meat i like large zip bags to put in. Water is usefull to wash meat off but not required.
If you field dress in field have some garbage bags to put meat in until you can get to coolers.
If you gut and leave hide on wrap up with ice in cavity to take to processor if not going to process yourself.
There will be a lot of discussion about, what, when, where and everything in between.
Always have a sharp knife and something to keep it sharp. Knives are another topic.
Have fun and be safe.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Field Dressing/Processing - 12/21/18 01:38 PM

Field dressing is something that takes practice and you will only better over time like a fine bourbon.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Field Dressing/Processing - 12/21/18 09:53 PM

I process lots of deer and hogs. Like others have said take your time and watch lots of videos.

Like said above a fillet knife works well for boning one out. I usually completely bone most of mine out separating the individual muscles in the rear legs inot roasts I can use later for roasts, steaks or what ever I decide to cook. I also leave the silver skin on them as that helps protect the meat in the freezer and is easy to remove when frozen with fish skinning pliers.

The Shoulders I usually bone out for jerky or grinding but sometimes save the blade portion for a roast.

It takes a little time but with care you can get it done do not worry about how fast you go,

A deer can be fully processed without any saw just by learning the joints and how to cur through them.
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Field Dressing/Processing - 12/21/18 09:56 PM

trust me your worry is over nothing. once you get in there you'll see just how easy it is. pretty amazing actually how simple and fragile a once living animal is.... that includes us i'm sure.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Field Dressing/Processing - 12/21/18 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by BuckRage
trust me your worry is over nothing. once you get in there you'll see just how easy it is. pretty amazing actually how simple and fragile a once living animal is.... that includes us i'm sure.

Well articulated.
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Field Dressing/Processing - 01/01/19 07:37 AM

The best advice I can give you is have a sharp knife for gutting and skinning and have a second sharp knife for quartering. Check out Deer Meat for Dinner on Youtube. Rob has some real good videos on skinning and quartering.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum