Texas Hunting Forum

How do you cook Bacon

Posted By: TPACK

How do you cook Bacon - 12/08/18 04:49 PM

I have always fried it in a pan. Turning them one piece at a time or dumping a whole package in a big skillet and keep stirring till they are all done. I have even used the microwave more than I like to admit

No More. I put 10 pieces on a big cookie sheet the last couple of times I cooked it and it turned out great. Perfectly flat and easier than frying in a skillet. The pieces a very uniform and easy to clean up afterwards. I can`t believe I have not tried it sooner.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rickym

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/08/18 05:02 PM

Lots of people cooking it in the oven now days. I still use the skillet but if I were cooking a lot of it the oven might get used
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/08/18 05:02 PM

I no longer cook bacon. I use the ready cooked.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/08/18 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by rickym
Lots of people cooking it in the oven now days. I still use the skillet but if I were cooking a lot of it the oven might get used

In a skillet.....like it to be chewy, not cremated....hate over cooked bacon.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/08/18 10:45 PM

I still cook bacon in a pan on the stove, but use a press to keep it flat.
Posted By: Cast

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/08/18 10:51 PM

I’ve started experimenting with cast iron skillet, bacon laid in cold and covered in water. Cooking over high heat until water is gone (it’s cooked now) then reducing heat to sizzle as required. Wife oven cooks it but it’s too crispy/over cooked.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/08/18 11:01 PM

Bacon tree in the microwave, still like the cast iron but this is fast and easy

[Linked Image]
Posted By: huntingbig8

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/08/18 11:10 PM

"pouring in and stirring" bacon should be against the law
Originally Posted by TPACK
I have always fried it in a pan. Turning them one piece at a time or dumping a whole package in a big skillet and keep stirring till they are all done. I have even used the microwave more than I like to admit

No More. I put 10 pieces on a big cookie sheet the last couple of times I cooked it and it turned out great. Perfectly flat and easier than frying in a skillet. The pieces a very uniform and easy to clean up afterwards. I can`t believe I have not tried it sooner.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Cinch

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/08/18 11:23 PM

Same way in oven up
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/09/18 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Gamblinman
I still cook bacon in a pan on the stove, but use a press to keep it flat.

I like it this way best, I have tried the covered in water, microwave and the oven. I cook the whole package and drain, then freeze what ever is left over.
Warm in the microwave and it is still crispy.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/09/18 01:05 AM

In a 12" skillet up
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/09/18 03:19 AM

In a pan so I can use the grease to fry eggs in.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/09/18 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by SapperTitan
Posted By: BigPig

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/09/18 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

I like mine to shatter when dropped. I had a bad experience while camping over a long weekend. Food was stolen, truck wouldn’t start, didn’t have cell phones. We resorted to coooing what we had left which was bacon and potatoes. It was raining so cooking over the camp fire was a chore. After an hour we hav up and decided it was hot enough to eat, it still squished like raw bacon. I was done after that, bacon has to be crispy!
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/09/18 02:48 PM

My old Griswold has cooked more bacon than I could legally haul in the back of my truck and cooks it just the way I like it. Crispy bacon is burnt bacon, cook it until the fat clears and you have perfect bacon.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/09/18 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

Same here. Crisp bacon is burnt bacon IMO
Posted By: Stub

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/09/18 03:28 PM

Cast iron up
Posted By: PMK

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/10/18 04:09 PM

if only doing a few pieces for my wife and I, in a cast iron skillet ... if the kids and grandkids are coming, I line 2 large size cookie sheets with parchment paper, then lay bacon stripes edges touching from end to end. 2 large cookie sheets will do about 2 lbs of thick sliced bacon. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, put one cookie sheet on upper rack and one of lower rack, set timer for 20 minutes. Pull one sheet out at 20 minutes and reset timer for 5 minutes, pull 2nd cookie sheet out when timer goes off for additional 5 minutes. One pan is done but still flexible and the other pan is starting to get crispy on the ends and edges. I then remove bacon to paper towel lined plates and drain the grease off the corners of the cookie sheets into our bacon grease container.
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/10/18 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by HWY_MAN
My old Griswold has cooked more bacon than I could legally haul in the back of my truck and cooks it just the way I like it. Crispy bacon is burnt bacon, cook it until the fat clears and you have perfect bacon.
+1 on that
Posted By: jakebunch

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/11/18 01:28 AM

"cook it till the fat clears". Nuff said.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/11/18 02:34 AM

If it’s not crispy, it ain’t done yet. I don’t understand chewy bacon people. grin
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/11/18 05:38 AM

Not chewy or crispy, right in between.
Posted By: StretchR

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/11/18 01:03 PM

More than two or three slices are cooked in the oven. I put parchment paper on the cookie sheet(s) lay out the bacon, then put the wire rack upside down on top of the bacon. Like PMK, I poor the grease off into my grease can. I cook at 425 until just before crisp, when the fat has turned light brown, but the bacon isn't yet hard and brittle. Thick sliced bacon cooked this way is perfect for bacon and tomato sandwiches!
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/11/18 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Gravytrain
Not chewy or crispy, right in between.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/11/18 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by snake oil
Originally Posted by SapperTitan

I do it in the oven, and hot damn use the grease from the drippings to cook my eggs in. Not having to worry about splatter and really making a splatter mess is overrated.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/11/18 08:20 PM

I usually cook it in a pan. I find it hard to cook eggs in the bacon grease a lot of times because the bacon leaves really sticky/burnt on bits on the pan and the eggs stick.

I like my bacon and eggs just like everything else... under cooked by some peoples standards. Crunchy bacon is burned and an egg with a cooked yolk is a sin. I only cook one side of my pancakes too and leave the top side runny. If my steak doesn't try to get up and run away when I poke it with my fork im not happy.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/11/18 08:59 PM

Chewy or crispy, it is all meat candy and we will eat it. I like bacon in between the extremes.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/11/18 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by kmon1
Chewy or crispy, it is all meat candy and we will eat it. I like bacon in between the extremes.

A whole lot of truth there, I much prefer chewy bacon but I don't ever remember bacon I didn't eat food
Posted By: Screwdriver

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/13/18 03:05 AM

Can't beat the oven if you're having to cook a lot of bacon at once. I don't bother with the racks and just line a deep baking sheet with heavy duty aluminum foil and put the bacon directly on the foil. It fries in the fat just like in a pan and makes cleanup a breeze. You can save your bacon fat too. Flip them during cooking if needed. 375 degrees for about 20 to 25 minutes does it for me depending on how crispy I want it.
Posted By: Sab

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/21/18 09:34 PM

On my Weber....
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/23/18 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by LonestarCobra
In a 12" skillet up
Posted By: _Lee

Re: How do you cook Bacon - 12/26/18 02:23 AM

On the blackstone so the smell doesn’t linger in the house all day.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum