Texas Hunting Forum

Elk Backstrap

Posted By: erathar

Elk Backstrap - 11/12/18 01:57 AM

Best recipes needed. Got some tonight.
Posted By: Caskins

Re: Elk Backstrap - 11/12/18 04:37 AM

Cut it about an inch thick and season and cook it like a ribeye. It will be amazing.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Elk Backstrap - 11/12/18 04:57 AM

The one above or fried but my favorite way is leave it in a block 6 inches or so long, cover heavy in montreal steak seasoning heavy and dry marinate in the fridge in a ziplock bag to cook the next day, take it out of the fridge and let it come up to roomp before cooling over hot grill to rare then take off grill and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing cross grain thin like one might a london broil. On elk straps that are thicker than smaller deer straps I will split the block length wise with the grain before marinating.

MAin thing how ever you cook it DO NOT OVER COOK IT
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Elk Backstrap - 11/12/18 09:45 PM

Chicken fried or Chinese pepper steak.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Elk Backstrap - 11/12/18 09:49 PM

One of my favorite ways is season it like you would any other steak and cook to rare med rare, top it with a horseradish sauce, then top that with sauteed mushrooms, severed with asparagus and wild rice.
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Elk Backstrap - 11/12/18 10:08 PM

Reverse sear with sous vide or cold smoker to get internal temp to rare done. Let rest for a 5 min. Then sear on high heat till the outside is done to your liking. Make sure the internal temp stays below 130.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Elk Backstrap - 11/12/18 10:38 PM

Olive oil, salt, and pepper on a hot grill. Cook to medium rare.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Elk Backstrap - 11/13/18 05:40 PM

Wrap a 6" long piece w/bacon and grill on med/high heat turning once (12 min per side) until internal temp of 129* rest 5 min.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum