Texas Hunting Forum

Deer Camp Dishes

Posted By: Dink Dodger

Deer Camp Dishes - 11/03/18 03:57 PM

Let's see what y'all are cooking this weekend
I won't be able to go for a couple of weeks
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Deer Camp Dishes - 11/03/18 04:26 PM

Anything that you can cook over a fire pit. You can even do ribs over the coals. Country style ribs are great. The most overlooked is center cut ham slices. All you need on them is grill marks. Beer should be involved.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Deer Camp Dishes - 11/03/18 04:51 PM

Precook stuff and vacuum seal/freeze. A pot of hot water is all you need. Drop sealed bags in thawed or frozen and simmer until it’s hot. You can even do cornbread that way. Add flour tortillas and pico for gourmet camp cooking. Chili, stews and soups are great this way.

Badabookbadaboom
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Deer Camp Dishes - 11/04/18 03:33 AM

I had a MRE. It was tasty. But I’m still dealing with it. It’s having the opposite effect.
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Deer Camp Dishes - 11/04/18 08:39 AM

Took a pot of pork chili with us, and tortillas. The chili is pretty thick, and we ate burritos made with it...quite tasty. Still some left for today, so I know what lunch will be again.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Deer Camp Dishes - 11/04/18 03:35 PM

Fajitas. Marinate overnight in Italian dressing and grill over mesquite. Use leftovers for fajita/egg tacos to take to the stand the next morning.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Deer Camp Dishes - 11/05/18 02:54 AM

Boneless chicken thighs, stuffed with sautéed Japs & cheese, wrapped in bacon on the Weber. Sides of baked macaroni and snap beans.
Posted By: djs303

Re: Deer Camp Dishes - 11/05/18 04:15 AM

Bacon wrapped jalapeno/onion stuffed dove with pot of 15 bean soup on Friday. Chicken and Sausage Gumbo with rice Saturday night.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Deer Camp Dishes - 11/05/18 02:51 PM

We had chili dogs one night and a crock pot pork another. All we had to do was heat it up. Pretty weak but easy. I'll do cheesesteaks in a couple weeks. Got to save up for 4 lbs of shaved ribeye.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Deer Camp Dishes - 11/05/18 10:38 PM

Cooked last week for out friends from Texas who were mule deer hunting, bison lasagna and T bone steaks were the biggest hits. Camp was a ranch house though. Pretty comfy when it got cold.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Deer Camp Dishes - 11/05/18 11:45 PM

This is the Saturday night feast opening weekend.

Dice up yellow potatoes in a big wide aluminum foil pan(A bunch), dice up 2 yellow onions, put in a whole jar of sliced jalapenos (your choice hot or mild). mix it all up with salt and pepper to taste. Then throw 4 sticks of butter on top sliced up. Cover in foil and cook on grill, smoker or campfire until done. Edges should be brown around the side when done.

Have the best bean cooker cook up a pot of beans to go with it.

Stop on the way and buy enough Boneless Ribeyes for everyone at One Stop in Runaway Bay. Season them with salt, pepper, and garlic the morning before cooking. Marinate in Worcestershire sauce before the afternoon hunt. Cook over open mesquite fire medium rare.

Make you wish you could stay at camp all week.

food
Posted By: Dink Dodger

Re: Deer Camp Dishes - 11/06/18 01:51 AM

Not sure what all we'll have but I'm sure steaks at least one night and I'm taking some venison meatballs for spaghetti one night. Will be there for a week so we will be figuring out the rest.
Posted By: Scott W

Re: Deer Camp Dishes - 11/07/18 03:44 AM

We had 2 of these as well as 2 pork butts, lots of smoked chickens and sausage. Big party at our place
Posted By: Stub

Re: Deer Camp Dishes - 11/07/18 11:59 AM

Oh heck yes food

Originally Posted By: Scott W

We had 2 of these as well as 2 pork butts, lots of smoked chickens and sausage. Big party at our place
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Deer Camp Dishes - 11/07/18 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Stub
Oh heck yes food

WOW!!!!
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Deer Camp Dishes - 11/07/18 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Stub
Oh heck yes food

Seriously started salivating like crazy this morning when I saw that brisket.
food
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Deer Camp Dishes - 11/09/18 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
I had a MRE. It was tasty. But I’m still dealing with it. It’s having the opposite effect.

Contact Sapper. He'll work you through it.
Posted By: Caskins

Re: Deer Camp Dishes - 11/11/18 11:20 PM

ribeyes and potatoes and onions. Yum yum.
Posted By: OHanlon87

Re: Deer Camp Dishes - 11/16/18 09:13 PM

Last week was Chicken fried duck breast with blackeye peas and country gravy. This week will be smoked pork tenderloin and boudin sausage.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Deer Camp Dishes - 11/17/18 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by OHanlon87
Last week was Chicken fried duck breast with blackeye peas and country gravy. This week will be smoked pork tenderloin and boudin sausage.

food

Re: Deer Camp Dishes - 11/18/18 10:23 PM

I cooked cheesesteaks last night. Got 6 lbs of shaved steak from Central Market.

Description: Cheesesteak
Attached picture 20181117_201724.jpg
Posted By: thorn4570

Re: Deer Camp Dishes - 11/21/18 02:52 PM

I forgot to take pics but I will next time.

My wife lazanga first time and enchilada pie in Dutch oven. I will get pics this weekend.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Deer Camp Dishes - 11/21/18 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Txduckman
I cooked cheesesteaks last night. Got 6 lbs of shaved steak from Central Market.

Who's the guy that tossed in the American cheese in there?

Re: Deer Camp Dishes - 11/21/18 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Originally Posted by Txduckman

Who's the guy that tossed in the American cheese in there?

BYOCW if you want that. Melted American and provolone here. Eagles suck too.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum