Texas Hunting Forum

Ribeye or NY Strip

Posted By: 68rustbucket

Ribeye or NY Strip - 10/30/18 06:47 PM

I’ve always preferred a good Ribeye when eating steak, but recently have converted to NY Strip. Seems to have less waste, and just as much flavor
Posted By: Old_School

Re: Ribeye or NY Strip - 10/30/18 06:59 PM

I voted New York strip, but I prefer a Porterhouse. grill
Posted By: Stub

Re: Ribeye or NY Strip - 10/30/18 07:09 PM

Voted Ribeye as long as there is not to much fat up
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Ribeye or NY Strip - 10/30/18 07:25 PM

Ribeye
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Ribeye or NY Strip - 10/30/18 07:32 PM

Ribeye
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Ribeye or NY Strip - 10/30/18 07:34 PM

Filet!
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Ribeye or NY Strip - 10/30/18 07:48 PM

Ribeye but filet is better. Strips are fine but less forgiving when cooking.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Ribeye or NY Strip - 10/30/18 07:50 PM

My bride and I prefer filets but a Prime bone end ribeye cooked to MR is hard too beat..
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Ribeye or NY Strip - 10/30/18 08:19 PM

What waste is on a ribeye?

Ribeye for me. HEB usually has the strips for a few dollars a pound less. Every once in a while I give in and get some but it always leaves me wishing I would have gotten the ribeyes.

Re: Ribeye or NY Strip - 10/30/18 08:32 PM

The waste is a lot of fat that I’m not gonna eat, but I did pay for. The last few choice strips I got at HEB tasted just as good or better than the last few “prime” ribeyes from same store. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t turn down a ribeye you’d cook for me at your house. I guess my taste buds have aged a little.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Ribeye or NY Strip - 10/30/18 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: 68rustbucket
The waste is a lot of fat that I’m not gonna eat, but I did pay for. The last few choice strips I got at HEB tasted just as good or better than the last few “prime” ribeyes from same store. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t turn down a ribeye you’d cook for me at your house. I guess my taste buds have aged a little.

That's why I get a strip over a ribeye.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Ribeye or NY Strip - 10/30/18 08:37 PM

Your last ribeye and your first strip touch earth other. I always buy tenderloins, but wouldn't turn either of them down. The porterhouse had an extra piece of gristle running through the strip side. The last Tbone does not have the extra gristle. Take a peek.

There are Tbones with bigger tenderloins.

Re: Ribeye or NY Strip - 10/30/18 08:44 PM

I think I’ll do t-bone next time. I’ll eat the strip, wife can have the tender side
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Ribeye or NY Strip - 10/30/18 08:50 PM

Hm ive never thrown out a piece of fat off my teak. If its a big piece I cut it and eat it with a bite that has no fat. Fat makes the steak.

Re: Ribeye or NY Strip - 10/30/18 08:54 PM

I think I’ll do t-bone next time. I’ll eat the strip, wife can have the tender side

That's what I always did. You can pick a Tbone with a big tender.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Ribeye or NY Strip - 10/30/18 09:49 PM

Given equal marbling and thickness, I'll go for the NY strip. Although I do love that little semi-circle of meat on the outside of a ribeye. Don't know what it's called but it's probably the best part of a dead cow.

I used to find some really nice "chuck eye steaks" at my grocer. Man, they weren't real big but they were really well marbled, cheap as stew meat, and some of the best steaks I've ever grilled. I think word got out and the really well marbled ones have become the new "butcher's cut," because I hardly ever see them any more.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Ribeye or NY Strip - 10/30/18 10:12 PM

i muc prefer venison backstrap to either but my favorite is ribeye. On the diet the Docs have me on these days though I eat more eye of round cooked rare or medium rare at teh house than either of those. I also like a good filet but $$$
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Ribeye or NY Strip - 10/30/18 10:16 PM

Some ribeyes are good, some are just fatty. I don't eat fat straight and don't need to die too early. I love a good ribeye grilled over mesquite though but not all are created equal. I normally order and buy strips.

Re: Ribeye or NY Strip - 10/30/18 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Some ribeyes are good, some are just fatty. I don't eat fat straight and don't need to die too early. I love a good ribeye grilled over mesquite though but not all are created equal. I normally order and buy strips.

Winner, winner, ribeye dinner. You have to know hoe to pick them.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Ribeye or NY Strip - 10/31/18 12:50 AM

Ribeye.
Posted By: tigger

Re: Ribeye or NY Strip - 10/31/18 12:55 AM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Originally Posted By: Txduckman

Winner, winner, ribeye dinner. You have to know hoe to pick them.

You need a spelling lesson as bad as I do.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Ribeye or NY Strip - 10/31/18 01:00 AM

I very rarely eat beef, but when I do it’s a ribeye.
Posted By: Cinch

Re: Ribeye or NY Strip - 10/31/18 01:47 AM

Like em both, but ribeye is what I prefer
Posted By: PMK

Re: Ribeye or NY Strip - 10/31/18 03:36 PM

either but prefer ribeye.
Posted By: PKnTX

Re: Ribeye or NY Strip - 10/31/18 06:57 PM

Both but usually grill strips as wife likes them better.

And fat is NOT bad for you unless you're eating to much crappy food.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Ribeye or NY Strip - 10/31/18 07:08 PM

I cooked 16 oz. wagyu ribeyes at the ranch last weekend. Probably the best ribeye I have ever tasted. Seared hot over mesquite seasoned with a combo of Montreal Steak Seasoning and Fiesta brand fajita spice a small tab of butter to crisp it up. Mmmmmmmmm.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Ribeye or NY Strip - 11/01/18 03:33 AM

Cooked right I’ll take either one but I usually go for ribeye
Posted By: JCO

Re: Ribeye or NY Strip - 11/01/18 03:47 AM

Ribeye
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Ribeye or NY Strip - 11/01/18 04:31 AM

Originally Posted By: PKnTX
Both but usually grill strips as wife likes them better.

And fat is NOT bad for you unless you're eating to much crappy food.

True but if you are eating fat straight doubt you worry about anything else you eat. I like the fat and meat to melt together. I don't like cutting it out.
Posted By: Mathp

Re: Ribeye or NY Strip - 11/01/18 12:06 PM

Tenderloins!
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Ribeye or NY Strip - 11/01/18 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter
Given equal marbling and thickness, I'll go for the NY strip. Although I do love that little semi-circle of meat on the outside of a ribeye. Don't know what it's called but it's probably the best part of a dead cow.

I used to find some really nice "chuck eye steaks" at my grocer. Man, they weren't real big but they were really well marbled, cheap as stew meat, and some of the best steaks I've ever grilled. I think word got out and the really well marbled ones have become the new "butcher's cut," because I hardly ever see them any more.

Ribeye Cap

Ribeyes are where it's at unless you're buying, cooking and serving, in which case it's 'Thank you, this is great'.

BTW Sneaky cooks a mean ribeye.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum