Texas Hunting Forum

skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine

Posted By: mbavo

skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/12/18 01:19 PM

Hey skinnerback, tried your barbacoa recipe. Pretty damn good, I like it better than they way I have been making it.

Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/12/18 01:33 PM

Dang, that does look good.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/12/18 01:44 PM

clap Good deal! Glad you enjoyed it. cheers I wish I had some right now. smile Looks great!

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/12/18 02:45 PM

can we get a recipe?

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/12/18 03:05 PM

Buy 2 packs of cheek meat.
Pat dry with paper towels.
Put in crockpot.
Season with salt and pepper.
Chop up an onion in big chunks and place on top of meat.
Put about 6 peeled cloves of garlic on top of meat.
Put 2 bay leaves on top of meat.
Cover crockpot and cook on low about 8 hours.
Take out bay leaves,onion,and garlic and discard.
Shred meat with forks, it will be fall apart tender.
Taste to see if you need to add salt or pepper.
Chow down.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/12/18 03:37 PM

Do you add any liquid to crock pot?

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/12/18 03:43 PM

I'm thinking pressure cooker.

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/12/18 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: 68rustbucket
Do you add any liquid to crock pot?

No, it makes plenty.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/12/18 04:39 PM

Oh damn... I might try this this weekend, ill be home.

Does it freeze well? No way I can eat that much barbacoa nobody in the house will try it, they don't know what they are missing.
Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/12/18 04:43 PM

tag
Posted By: YanceyTX_Hunter

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/12/18 04:44 PM

Will definitely have to try this....
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/12/18 04:55 PM

finally someone that makes it from the right cut of meat up

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/12/18 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Does it freeze well?

Yes Sir, in vacuum bags. Thaw out at the ranch for quick tacos. up

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/12/18 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: BuckRage
finally someone that makes it from the right cut of meat up

If it doesn't come from the head, it's not barbacoa. cheers
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/12/18 06:03 PM

No comparison. Shredded beef is not barbacoa neither in taste, texture or fat content. Good with breakfast too!

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/12/18 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: BuckRage
No comparison. Shredded beef is not barbacoa neither in taste, texture or fat content.

Exactly, no comparison.

I made a batch last week and brought to work for breakfast with all the fixin's, it got destroyed lol.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/12/18 06:12 PM

I've never heard of cheek meat..

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/12/18 06:14 PM

Originally Posted By: snake oil

The cheeks have the richest flavor, more than any other cut of beef.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/12/18 11:10 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw
Dang, that does look good.

Would food

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/15/18 12:29 PM

Mmm I won’t start a new post but I cooked some of skinner’s world famous barbacoa over night in the crock pot... it passes muster and I like it better than many of the local taco houses.

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/15/18 01:13 PM

food

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/15/18 01:18 PM

Mmm I won’t start a new post but I cooked some of skinner’s world famous barbacoa over night in the crock pot... it passes muster and I like it better than many of the local taco houses.

if you use 2 tortillas it would be just like the tacos here

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/15/18 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw

if you use 2 tortillas it would be just like the tacos here

When I get the street tacos/mini tacos on corn tortillas they come with 2 tortillas on each taco. These are Mixla tortillas, heb sells them, they are like a combination of corn/flour tortilla, I like them a lot.

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/15/18 04:52 PM

Looks awesome!
Glad you liked it!
Good stuff and easy to make!

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/15/18 06:44 PM

No joke on the easy part, it was just like on the TV infomercials throw it in a pot set it and forget it lol.

I got the wife to take 2 tacos for breakfast this morning and she said they were so so, but she has never had barbacoa before, probably not her favorite, but I thought it was great. My little boy, just turned 4 refused to try it.

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/15/18 06:52 PM

No joke on the easy part, it was just like on the TV infomercials throw it in a pot set it and forget it lol.

I got the wife to take 2 tacos for breakfast this morning and she said they were so so, but she has never had barbacoa before, probably not her favorite, but I thought it was great. My little boy, just turned 4 refused to try it.

roflmao Kids are weird like that. My 4 yr old baby girl is the same way.

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/15/18 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback

Thanks. I guess that's why I call her "Sweet Cheeks". LOL

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/15/18 08:50 PM

Thanks. I guess that's why I call her "Sweet Cheeks". LOL

Wouldn't that be more like rump roast? chef
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/15/18 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By: mbavo
Buy 2 packs of cheek meat.
Pat dry with paper towels.
Put in crockpot.
Season with salt and pepper.
Chop up an onion in big chunks and place on top of meat.
Put about 6 peeled cloves of garlic on top of meat.
Put 2 bay leaves on top of meat.
Cover crockpot and cook on low about 8 hours.
Take out bay leaves,onion,and garlic and discard.
Shred meat with forks, it will be fall apart tender.
Taste to see if you need to add salt or pepper.
Chow down.
tag Doing this
Posted By: Ringer1

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/16/18 03:16 AM

Where can you by cheek meat in Dallas? I assume a Mexican meat market but wouldn’t know what to ask for.

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/16/18 12:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Ringer1
Where can you by cheek meat in Dallas? I assume a Mexican meat market but wouldn’t know what to ask for.

I buy it at HEB in the Odessa/Midland area.

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/16/18 07:19 PM

Do you cut the fat off or drain off after cooking or just leave it?

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/16/18 08:27 PM

Do you cut the fat off or drain off after cooking or just leave it?

I trimmed off some of the most obscure looking parts before cooking. After cooking I tossed any large chunks of fat, shredded with a fork and then drained the liquid off of it. When I do it again I will drain the liquid before shredding.

I also left out the bay leaves because ive never seen them make a difference in anything I made (no offense to those who use them) and added a little extra garlic powder. I wont add any garlic powder when I do it again... and there will surely be an again!

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/17/18 07:56 PM

Thanks.
Posted By: Sparta

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/23/18 05:04 PM

Man that looks good. Barbacoa Tacos w/ some spicy salsa and avocado slices. Gotta pair it with a ice cold Big Red (no ice).

Best hangover cure in the world.
Posted By: Ox190

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/24/18 04:27 PM

Going to try this but on the smoker, give them a little smoke then braise them in a foil container.
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/25/18 12:40 PM

I couldn't help it after I saw this yesterday. Stopped at HEB and put some in the crockpot last night. Had a couple tacos this morning. Also, it was made preemptively for tomorrow morning. Going to the Texans game tonight. Going to stash a big red in the fridge when I get home.

Really good. But, I should have trimmed more of the fat before cooking. To many huge chunks of fat were left when it was done.

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/25/18 01:20 PM

Looks great.

Yes, I try to cut off the loose fat and any of the connective tissue I can, without sacrificing the meat.

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/25/18 01:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Ox190
Going to try this but on the smoker, give them a little smoke then braise them in a foil container.

Dang that might just take it up a notch... gonna have to try it again now lol

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/25/18 01:33 PM

I also trimmed the fat and big connective tissue before cooking and after cooking I dug out some of the solid blobs of fat also.

I am still amazed it comes out as tender as it does.
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/25/18 02:09 PM

I also trimmed the fat and big connective tissue before cooking and after cooking I dug out some of the solid blobs of fat also.

I am still amazed it comes out as tender as it does.

I could see how it would come out tender. I thought I did trim a good bit of fat off of it. But there were still chunks of it after it was done. Not a TON of it, but more than I wanted. I was just worried about trimming too much. Silly thing to be worried about I guess.
Posted By: _Lee

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/27/18 10:17 AM

Tag for later
Posted By: Buckbuster

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/27/18 04:02 PM

Made some the other night. Trimmed a bunch of the obvious fat and put in crockpot for a little over 8 hours...drained excess fat the next morning...AMAZING!
Posted By: Sparta

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/29/18 02:24 PM

I made some last night. Fried it in a cast iron dutch oven first and cooked it down on the stove (This method cut the cook time in half). Other than the cooking method I used Skinnerback's recipe (Thanks Skinnerback!)

It's bagged up and ready for opening weekend.

Re: skinnerback, I like your barbacoa recipe better than mine - 10/29/18 02:55 PM

cheers I'm about to make some more myself. smile
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum