Texas Hunting Forum

"Sous Vide Que" Pork Loin/ Hog Backstrap

Posted By: mattyg06

"Sous Vide Que" Pork Loin/ Hog Backstrap - 08/27/18 05:09 PM

I tried the recipe below and it turned out amazing. I first took out the back straps and dry aged them for one week in the refrigerator. Then I put both loins in large 2.5 gallon ziplock bag with butter, onion, garlic, salt, pepper. I removed all the air for ziplock and sealed. I then cooked inside the bag for 4 hours at 140 degrees. After I put the ziplock bag into a ice water bath to cool rapidly for storage.

At that stage you can let sit in the fridge for up to a week to keep or just cool for 30 min while heating up your smoker. This 'chill' allows you a longer time on the grill to increase the flavor while not increasing the 'doneness' of the meat.

I then took out the loins and put on my normal BBQ dry rub and smoked for about 1 hour on the Ceramic smoker. Once the internal temp hit 115 I opened up the grill to get it going as hot as I could to sear the outside. Once the outside was seared it was finished.

The inside was insanely tender and juicy, but did have a solid pink color. It is safe to eat pork at this temperature and once you do you will never go back and cook your pork to 160 degrees. The internal temperature only hit 140 degrees which is what keeps loins very juicy.

I did it in stages since we were cooking for a large number of people. But this also makes an easy recipe to prepare during the week and then finish on the grill at hunting camp in a short period of time.

Sous Vide Que Amazing Ribs

Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: "Sous Vide Que" Pork Loin/ Hog Backstrap - 08/27/18 05:19 PM

food
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: "Sous Vide Que" Pork Loin/ Hog Backstrap - 08/27/18 05:55 PM

banana Oh heck yes! Nothing worse than overcooked dry pork.
Posted By: Stub

Re: "Sous Vide Que" Pork Loin/ Hog Backstrap - 08/27/18 06:29 PM

All over it food
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: "Sous Vide Que" Pork Loin/ Hog Backstrap - 08/27/18 06:50 PM

Yes please!
Posted By: TooLow

Re: "Sous Vide Que" Pork Loin/ Hog Backstrap - 08/27/18 06:54 PM

Looks tasty
Posted By: Cherokee Mingan

Re: "Sous Vide Que" Pork Loin/ Hog Backstrap - 08/27/18 07:06 PM

I think I will try this.
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: "Sous Vide Que" Pork Loin/ Hog Backstrap - 09/04/18 05:05 PM

I used this method for dove this weekend and I was blown away. I will never do a 'dove popper' again.

I breast out the bird whole similar to the thread "How I clean my dove with no bones" in the pictures section. I don't separate each breast but instead try to keep them whole. I also try to keep as much skin on the breast possible. I then let them set out for the day. The following morning I put a group of breasts in a marinate which was oil/vinegar/worchester/spices inside a zip lock bag. I then cooked them in the marinade for 2 hours in the water bath at 120 degrees. I finished them with a quick sear to crisp up the skin. You could sear in cast iron skillet or on a grill.

Give them a try this way. This is also much less effort than making poppers which get to be a pain when making large groups. This method also lets you do all your prep work early, then the birds are ready for a quick sear when you come in from a hunt.
Posted By: emorydog

Re: "Sous Vide Que" Pork Loin/ Hog Backstrap - 09/05/18 01:55 AM

You have more self control than me...caramelized onions and a tortilla...well you know.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum