Texas Hunting Forum

Rabbits done right

Posted By: Dave Scott

Rabbits done right - 08/09/18 02:29 PM

Which way do you rabbit hunters use? You can cut around the hide in the middle and pull off the hide (Like a glove) and chop off feet and head, then cut stomach like a deer...or...squeeze down the rib cage and swing the rabbit through your legs? Innards pop out.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Rabbits done right - 08/09/18 02:40 PM

I have always cut in the back and pull hide off each end chop off head and feet then gut.

The squeezing the guts out video that was posted on here was interesting, but you still gotta skin em.

Brazing is by far the best way to cook rabbit to me, that or in a stew. I still don't know how people say to just put them on the grill. I have never grilled a cotton tail that wasn't tuff as leather and dry.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Rabbits done right - 08/09/18 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

Brazing is by far the best way to cook rabbit to me, that or in a stew. I still don't know how people say to just put them on the grill. I have never grilled a cotton tail that wasn't tuff as leather and dry.

That's the truth. If I'm grilling or frying them, I parboil them in salted water for about an hour first. If you dont, they will be tougher than everlasting shoe soles. Brazing is still the best way to go though.
Posted By: chalet

Re: Rabbits done right - 08/09/18 06:55 PM

Pull the hide off, cut the feet and head off then gut and rinse. My mom makes a mean fried rabbit but I am partial to rabbit gumbo these days followed closely by braised rabbit. Generally only cook them at the lease or camp and have found dutch oven camp fire slow cooking suits me better than getting the stuff together to chicken fry.

Only tried grilling them a couple times, was not impressed.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Rabbits done right - 08/09/18 06:58 PM

Unless they are pen raised and very young parboil is the only way to go..... food
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Rabbits done right - 08/10/18 01:58 AM

We used to shoot them, dip in flour, fry and eat. Never gave it much thought; but then again we hunted for hours to get 3 cents for a pop bottle.
Posted By: Ratherbefishing

Re: Rabbits done right - 08/10/18 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Huntmaster
We used to shoot them, dip in flour, fry and eat. Never gave it much thought; but then again we hunted for hours to get 3 cents for a pop bottle.

We spent many hours picking up bottles to supplement our BB need. Usually would buy the nickel cellophane pack. Had to mow grass to afford the .25 cent tube. Sorry to take this off topic...
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Rabbits done right - 08/11/18 02:28 AM

My mom either fried them or made rabbit and dumplings. But then most of them were pen raised.
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Rabbits done right - 08/11/18 02:02 PM

Well, not to reply to my own reply but... I skin squirrels that way- cut the hide around the middle- pull in both directions. I have a hatchet and just chop off head and feet, so I guess I'll stick with that. I figured parboil about an hour- at that point either braze in a dutch oven or put on a stick and grill- to get a grill taste, either way cut up the meat into small cubes.
On the braze- any particular way? I thought I'd would toss in carrots and onion.

Re: Rabbits done right - 08/11/18 07:27 PM

Here's a whole bunch of recipes for rabbit and squirrel.

https://honest-food.net/wild-game/rabbit-hare-squirrel-recipes/

Re: Rabbits done right - 08/11/18 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Scott

On the braze- any particular way? I thought I'd would toss in carrots and onion.

When you braze, parboiling is not necessary. Just put the cut up rabbit into a heavy covered Dutch oven and cover the meat with stock or wine and your favorite seasoning. Set your oven to 275 and cook for about an hour before you add the vegetables. Add the veggies and cook for another hour. Enjoy!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum