Texas Hunting Forum

Venison meat loaf

Posted By: Dry Fire

Venison meat loaf - 08/07/18 08:14 PM

Boss is not a venison eater. Getting tired of burgers and goulash. I haven't had meatloaf in years (another thing The Boss won't eat). But I came across a venison meatloaf recipe. I enhanced it with chopped onions, sliced jalapenos, and celery. I made two pans, one with brown sugar and one without. I'm currently making my way though the one with the brown sugar. I have it everyday for lunch with a half dozen home grown cayenne peppers. Hopefully the one without the sugar is just as good. I really don't need the extra sugar in my diet.

1 lb ground venison
3 large jalapenos sliced
2 stalks celery thinly sliced.
1/2 large onion finely chopped
1/4 cup brown sugar (optional)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
1 egg, whipped
12 saltines, crushed

Mix everything together and form into pan sized lump.

Place in meatloaf pan. Cook at 375 for 1 hour

Remove from oven and drain juices.

Mix your favorite ketchup, brown sugar, and Tabasco to your liking and spread over top of meatloaf.
Return back to oven for 10 minutes.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Venison meat loaf - 08/07/18 08:31 PM

That sounds mighty fine Dry Fire.

My local grocery sells me the beef fat trimmed from rib eyes for $0.25 a pound. Grind it with the deer meat in a 75% deer/25% fat ratio and enter a whole new world of excellence.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Venison meat loaf - 08/08/18 01:01 AM

That sounds like a good one Dry Fire. If you have a smoker, next time throw it in there for a few hours until the internal temp is 160*. I can't hardly eat it any other way now. Thanks for the recipe.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Venison meat loaf - 08/08/18 03:41 AM

Sounds awesome and will try that recipe. I make ML every few months with venison and Lipton onion packets. Heinz Chili Sauce is all I will use instead of ketchup. Or at least after it is cooked. food
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Venison meat loaf - 08/08/18 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: BayouGuy
That sounds mighty fine Dry Fire.

My local grocery sells me the beef fat trimmed from rib eyes for $0.25 a pound. Grind it with the deer meat in a 75% deer/25% fat ratio and enter a whole new world of excellence.

Damn I gotta find a deal like that. Our local stores get $1/lb for pork fat.
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Venison meat loaf - 08/08/18 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Jgraider
That sounds like a good one Dry Fire. If you have a smoker, next time throw it in there for a few hours until the internal temp is 160*. I can't hardly eat it any other way now. Thanks for the recipe.

I opened FB yesterday. Lo and Behold, BBQ Gurus had a video on smoked ML. The inside was layered with pepperjack cheese. Cholesterol be damned, full speed ahead!
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Venison meat loaf - 08/08/18 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

You really need to try beef fat with your deer redchevy. Pork fat is great for sausage, but beef fat results in a far superior flavor for burgers and meatloaf.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Venison meat loaf - 08/08/18 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: BayouGuy
Originally Posted By: redchevy

You really need to try beef fat with your deer redchevy. Pork fat is great for sausage, but beef fat results in a far superior flavor for burgers and meatloaf.

Beef fat is good and I do prefer it to pork for fat added to ground venison.

But there is always one exception add BACON
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Venison meat loaf - 08/11/18 07:39 PM

another great way to make whitetail venison eatable.
Posted By: greenen

Re: Venison meat loaf - 08/11/18 11:30 PM

Third yeah on the beef fat however I paid .88 cents a pound for it in January. Really good venison burgers coupled with tender doe grind.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Venison meat loaf - 08/13/18 12:44 PM

Wife made Emerald L recipe meat loaf Saturday, it is way good food

I know no pictures whip
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum