Texas Hunting Forum

Sous Vide NY strip

Posted By: mattyg06

Sous Vide NY strip - 07/02/18 06:48 PM

Since I didn't have anything more important to do I figured I would document a NY strip that I cooked using sous vide. Brookshires had these on sale so I figured might as well put it to good use. The steak was 16 oz and about 1.5" thick

I seasoned heavily with salt, pepper...then diced onion and garlic and coat with a little olive oil.

I put the steak in a gallon ziplock back and tried to remove as much air as I could from the bag. I then sealed the bag and dropped into 120 degree water for about an hour. I turned the bag over once halfway through the hour to make sure both sides got equal exposure to the water bath.

I while the steak was submerged in the water bath I then got my BGE going. I like the coals to have a slight flame when I put the steak on the grill. This time I got the grill heated to about 550 degrees and had my great about 4" from the top of the coals.

I seared each side for only 90 seconds. At 45 seconds I rotated the steaks 90 degrees to get the checkered pattern. Prior to putting the steak on the grill I cleaned off the onion/garlic and added a 2nd coat of salt pepper.

Here you can see the thin sear zone and the large area of warm pink center. This steak was probably cooked just slightly above rare but slightly less than med-rare.
Posted By: JTS

Re: Sous Vide NY strip - 07/02/18 07:10 PM

Looks good
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Sous Vide NY strip - 07/02/18 07:14 PM

Is it 100% safe to use a zip lock bag vs a food saver type bag?
Posted By: PKnTX

Re: Sous Vide NY strip - 07/02/18 07:20 PM

Looks delicious. Thanks for the pic's.

Re: Sous Vide NY strip - 07/02/18 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Herbie Hancock
Is it 100% safe to use a zip lock bag vs a food saver type bag?

Yes both made out of same material and safe as long as you are cooking below 190 degrees. So you have no issue when using in this method which the water is only 120 degrees.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Sous Vide NY strip - 07/02/18 08:49 PM

Was it more tender than what you would have expected with a traditional grilling over hot coals?

Re: Sous Vide NY strip - 07/03/18 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: BayouGuy
Was it more tender than what you would have expected with a traditional grilling over hot coals?

I think so. I prefer this method as there is a greater margin for error when cooking steaks at a lower temperature for a majority of the cook.
Posted By: _Lee

Re: Sous Vide NY strip - 07/08/18 12:19 AM

I’ve really been wanting to try some steaks Sous Vide before I throw them in the egg. Going to try this next time I make some.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Sous Vide NY strip - 07/08/18 07:15 PM

That's just the way I like my steaks cooked Good job gonna try that.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Sous Vide NY strip - 07/09/18 01:24 AM

Boiled meat..... bang

Re: Sous Vide NY strip - 07/09/18 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: LonestarCobra
Boiled meat..... bang

Have you ever tried the method or authentic Carnitas?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Sous Vide NY strip - 07/09/18 06:12 PM

I find when the word authentic gets thrown around the food usually goes down hill. I could see sous vide being good for cooking a steak the way my wife's family eats it, it has to be perfect medium. Med rare is to raw and well is too done and they will cry either way. Personally I like a cool red center rare and sous vide just doesn't do that from what I see.

Re: Sous Vide NY strip - 07/09/18 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I find when the word authentic gets thrown around the food usually goes down hill. I could see sous vide being good for cooking a steak the way my wife's family eats it, it has to be perfect medium. Med rare is to raw and well is too done and they will cry either way. Personally I like a cool red center rare and sous vide just doesn't do that from what I see.

I used the word authentic because that is how carnitas are typically made... boiling in fatty water for a couple of hours.
Posted By: PKnTX

Re: Sous Vide NY strip - 07/09/18 07:35 PM

I've not used this particular method but have to say the "boiled meat" talk is really off the mark.

If the steak was just put in the water naked and the juices allowed to run off and the meat watered
that would be one thing. But being in a sealed, water tight container makes this nothing more than
HEAT. A very controlled, low heat source for a controlled amount of time for an even cook prior to searing.
It's just heat. Nothing more.
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Sous Vide NY strip - 07/09/18 09:48 PM

Looks perfect! chef
Posted By: Guy

Re: Sous Vide NY strip - 07/10/18 12:26 AM

That is way too much work and too long (an hour boiling?) to cook a steak. Here is how you cook a NY strip, 2 minutes on each side, I skip the butter...Learn from the Master!

Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Sous Vide NY strip - 07/10/18 01:06 AM

Originally Posted By: mattyg06
Boiled meat..... bang

Have you ever tried the method or authentic Carnitas?

Long running joke on the other side. clap

Yes, I have eaten plenty of Sous Vide meats. It does not appeal to my taste as well as cooking a steak on a hot bed of Mesquite coals. There is something about having a ribeye with the fat rendered out basting the meat that adds a flavor Sous Vide cannot achieve. I will say it has its place on leaner cheaper cuts of meat like a sirloin.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Sous Vide NY strip - 07/10/18 01:23 AM

Boiled meat..... bang

Its not boiling it, because it is in a plastic bag. It is simply heating it up. There is a big difference.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum