Texas Hunting Forum

Board Sauce

Posted By: mattyg06

Board Sauce - 06/20/18 03:17 PM

The picture isn't mine but showing the outcome of using sous vide and reverse sear on a tri-tip. Here is a link to a 'board sauce' recipe that I use that I found online. It makes for a great little extra seasoning that doesn't overpower the steak.

Quote:
Ingredients
2 pounds of flank steak

6 tablespoons high quality extra virgin olive oil

5 large fresh sage leaves

2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, stripped from the stems

2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, stripped from the stems

1 medium clove of garlic

1/2 fresh red jalapeņo

1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper

Optional. You can use many other fresh herbs such as tarragon, oregano, bay leaf, parsley, cilantro, basil, mint. I am especially fond of black garlic.

Optional. A reader named "Joseph" says he likes to add smoked paprika which give it a nice orange glow and sparks curiosity in his guests.

Method
1) Salt the meat about 1 hour before cooking and put it in the fridge. Called dry brining, the salt can diffuse deep down into the muscle so you get salt into the meat, not just on top of the meat. It also alters the protein so it can hold onto moisture longer.

2) Before the meat goes on the grill, coarsely chop the sage, thyme, garlic, jalapeņo, and black pepper, and put it in a coffee cup. Drizzle the oil on the pile and let it sit while you cook so the oil can draw out some of the flavor.

3) Grill the steaks until dark on the outside and medium rare in the center. Try not to go beyond 130°F in the center of the steaks so there are juices running when you cut the meat. For steaks under 1" I recommend hot and fast with the lid open, turning frequently. For thicker steaks, I recommend set up the grill in 2 zones. Warm the meat slowly on the indirect side with the lid down until it hits about 120°F, and then move it to the hot side to sear it and brown the surface. This is called the reverse sear and it produces the most even colored interiors.

4) When the steaks are almost ready, pour the herb and oil mix onto the cutting board. Make sure it is level or it will spill over onto the table. A board with routed out channels is best to hold it all in. Place the steaks on the oiled herbs and coat both sides. Do not let the meat rest to reabsorb the juices, start cutting immediately. Let the juices run! Cut slices of tender meats about 1/2" thick across the grain, and tougher meats like flank steak, about 1/8" across the grain. Roll the meat in the board dressing so everybody gets a light coat.

Adam Perry Lang Board Sauce recipe
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Board Sauce - 06/20/18 03:30 PM

Interesting.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Board Sauce - 06/20/18 05:34 PM

Yummy. Flank is my normal go to for fajitas, quesadillas, tacos. Sounds like a good method.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Board Sauce - 06/20/18 06:29 PM

That looks a lot like chimichurri sauce.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Board Sauce - 06/20/18 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Herbie Hancock
That looks a lot like chimichurri sauce.

Yep.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Board Sauce - 06/20/18 06:45 PM

Parts of the meat look purple scratch
Posted By: Stub

Re: Board Sauce - 06/20/18 09:37 PM

Looks good like it ought to be on a tamale or over rice up
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Board Sauce - 06/20/18 11:14 PM

That looks outstanding food
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Board Sauce - 06/20/18 11:15 PM

It looks really good! chef
Posted By: GMG1

Re: Board Sauce - 07/21/18 09:39 PM

I have done the sous vide TRi Tip. It looks like I need to do another and kick it up a notch with this!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum