Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone ever heard of

Posted By: BMag

Anyone ever heard of - 06/15/18 01:42 PM

Using a refrigerator for cold smoking? It rarely gets cold enough log enough down here next to the coast for me to attempt any cold smoking. Not to mention the 110% humidity we have. I was thinking I might be able to install a smoke generator in the side of an old refrigerator to smoke a ham or make some bacon. Any thoughts?

P.S.
I know this is redneck as he11, but a Virginia venison ham sounds mighty tasty. I also like to tinker.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Anyone ever heard of - 06/15/18 01:44 PM

Why wouldn't it work?
Posted By: Cast

Re: Anyone ever heard of - 06/15/18 02:09 PM

Well cold smoking isn't necessarily done at very cold temps. A ham at 100* would qualify as cold smoking in my book.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Anyone ever heard of - 06/15/18 02:24 PM

We cold smoke dried sausage in a "smoke house" toolshed with a window unit a/c it works good and have done it in the middle of the summer. Would be better if it was insulated.
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Anyone ever heard of - 06/15/18 02:43 PM

Google Alton brown cold smoker for ideas. You can even do it in a card board box.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Anyone ever heard of - 06/15/18 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: mattyg06
Google Alton brown cold smoker for ideas. You can even do it in a card board box.

I still enjoy watching Good Eats every night.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Anyone ever heard of - 06/15/18 09:57 PM

Back in the day people did it all the time.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Anyone ever heard of - 06/18/18 11:05 PM

yep, my dad and a buddy made a smoker out of an old metal lined refrigerator (or might have been an upright freezer) using underground duct over to a half buried trash can (or barrel) that use a few charcoal briquettes for heat and live oak bark/chunks for smoke, then cut a hole top back, elbow and ran ducting down to below the bottom shelf in the fridge so the entire fridge filled up with smoke down to the bottom of the ducting for exhaust. They did bacon, hams, turkeys, jerky, etc. ... could run cold of about 100-110 degrees or hot up to 200-225 depending on how big of a fire in the separate fire box and air draft in/out. worked like a charm!!! Those older metal lined fridge/freezers are hard to come by and OSHA has outlawed the door handles since they are not child safe (kid could get locked inside)...
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Anyone ever heard of - 06/18/18 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: BMag
Using a refrigerator for cold smoking? It rarely gets cold enough log enough down here next to the coast for me to attempt any cold smoking. Not to mention the 110% humidity we have. I was thinking I might be able to install a smoke generator in the side of an old refrigerator to smoke a ham or make some bacon. Any thoughts?

P.S.
I know this is redneck as he11, but a Virginia venison ham sounds mighty tasty. I also like to tinker.

When I was a teenager I built my first cold smoker out of an old metal fridge, yes they work.

I live on the coast too, have a smokehouse, and I cold smoke year round. It doesn't have to be cold outside, and you don't need to worry about the humidity at all unless you are making dried sausage. You'll have no problem doing hams or bacon.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum