Texas Hunting Forum

Wood over Charcoal

Posted By: NewGulf

Wood over Charcoal - 05/06/18 01:12 PM

anytime....i never use charcoal i dont see the benefit and dont think it taste better or good at all. why do yall use it?
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Wood over Charcoal - 05/06/18 02:00 PM

In my small grill all I use is charcoal. I let it burn til it’s white, then put the meat on. Don’t notice any bad taste.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Wood over Charcoal - 05/06/18 02:11 PM

New rule for me. I don't reply to other threads unless the poster replies to mine.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Wood over Charcoal - 05/06/18 02:14 PM

I use both for different things. Charcoal for steaks burger and BBQ chicken. Wood pellets for brisket and ribs.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Wood over Charcoal - 05/06/18 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
New rule for me. I don't reply to other threads unless the poster replies to mine.
roflmao
Posted By: Cast

Re: Wood over Charcoal - 05/06/18 03:45 PM

Old rule.

I’ve got charcoal on hand that I only use to start my stick smoker. My old PGS propane grill will stand beside any charcoal burner. A few years after I got that grill, charcoal was moot.
Posted By: chalet

Re: Wood over Charcoal - 05/06/18 05:06 PM

I use all three. Wood is for when I have time to build the fire and let it burn down to coals, mostly if I feel like cooking a good steak. Or at times, I just like to build a fire to have a cold beer and enjoy it - the grilling part is just a bonus.. I use the Red Oak lump charcoal for the majority of my grilling and start it in chimneys. Flavor is good, no lighter fluid and I can have the grill ready in no time.

Have a small patio propane grill that the wife can use, and sometimes if I am in a big hurry and not so worried about what I am grilling I use it. Hotdogs, hamburgers, chicken breast, etc.
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Wood over Charcoal - 05/06/18 06:54 PM

I add pecan wood to my charcoal
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Wood over Charcoal - 05/06/18 08:12 PM

Wrong....just did...
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Wood over Charcoal - 05/06/18 08:14 PM

I prefer mesquite coals....if I use charcoal I like to add several small blocks of mesquite
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Wood over Charcoal - 05/07/18 01:02 AM

I have used wood and charcoal separately and combined. Sometimes start with charcoal and add wet mesquite for the smoke. If the heat is dropping I will add a few charcoal briquettes to bring it back up.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Wood over Charcoal - 05/07/18 01:06 PM

I use oak lump charcoal, I have gotten away from using the man made briquettes, not telling what they put in those suckers.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Wood over Charcoal - 05/07/18 04:04 PM

I use a combo of charcoal and oak. Need to fill my trailer up with oak the next time at my place. I grill alot! chef
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Wood over Charcoal - 05/07/18 05:10 PM

Lump is the way to go. Briquettes are nasty.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Wood over Charcoal - 05/07/18 05:13 PM

Lump here as well.
Posted By: Rockinmyshoe

Re: Wood over Charcoal - 05/07/18 06:00 PM

I found some 30# bags of lump mesquite charcoal for $10. Haven't bought any in awhile but it seemed like a good price. I like mesquite for steaks.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Wood over Charcoal - 05/07/18 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Rockinmyshoe
I found some 30# bags of lump mesquite charcoal for $10. Haven't bought any in awhile but it seemed like a good price. I like mesquite for steaks.

That’s a pretty good price.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Wood over Charcoal - 05/07/18 08:45 PM

I usually use charcoal as a easy fire starter and to heat up my pit. Once the charcoal has ashed and the pit is thoroughly heated, I then start adding cured wood, usually live oak and/or pecan and then maintain my heat by adding more wood over time and occasionally more charcoal if I am doing a long duration smoke like for multiple briskets when they stall and I need to bump the temperature up a bit.

I have found the HEB brand mesquite charcoal isn't bad but seems to not burn completely where Kingsford seems to be much more consistent. I try to find the double large bag on sale at Home Depot or Walmart for ~$10 and keep 4-6 bags on hand in the garage. I've tried several of the lump style but seems they added an odd flavor to the smoke ...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum