Texas Hunting Forum

Carnitas

Posted By: HuntingTexas

Carnitas - 05/05/18 05:50 PM

Love em, what's your recipe? Mine is to go to Mercado Juarez and eat them. I'd like to make some at home though.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Carnitas - 05/05/18 06:52 PM

Give this one a try. It's hard to beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUbXrOoj2J8
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Carnitas - 05/07/18 04:07 PM

The above recipe looks good. But traditional Carnitas are fried in LARD!
Oh what a difference frying in lard makes. There is a science to getting them just right.
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Carnitas - 05/07/18 04:21 PM

When I do pork carnitas we usually use a pork shoulder or other fatty meat. Make sure it is fatty that's the most important part. We cut the shoulder into 2-3" cubes and place in a large skillet or pot doesn't matter too much. You don't want to overcrowd your pot/skillet. Cover the pork chunks with 1/2 cup orange juice, 1/4 cup lime, several halved garlic cloves, a little bit of cumin, several dried chili's to your liking, then add water to where all the meat is just barely submerged. Boil for 2 or so hours till all the water as evaporated and don't touch the meat. If your water runs out before 2 hrs is up add a little extra to let it boil for the 2+ hrs. Once all the water evaporates you will be left with enough grease from the pork itself to pan fry the pork cubes. Fry on all sides till a deep brown. You can substitute any part of this recipe to your liking to make more or less spicy.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Carnitas - 05/07/18 04:36 PM

I do a pork marinade pretty similar to that one and then smoke it.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Carnitas - 05/07/18 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: mattyg06
When I do pork carnitas we usually use a pork shoulder or other fatty meat. Make sure it is fatty that's the most important part. We cut the shoulder into 2-3" cubes and place in a large skillet or pot doesn't matter too much. You don't want to overcrowd your pot/skillet. Cover the pork chunks with 1/2 cup orange juice, 1/4 cup lime, several halved garlic cloves, a little bit of cumin, several dried chili's to your liking, then add water to where all the meat is just barely submerged. Boil for 2 or so hours till all the water as evaporated and don't touch the meat. If your water runs out before 2 hrs is up add a little extra to let it boil for the 2+ hrs. Once all the water evaporates you will be left with enough grease from the pork itself to pan fry the pork cubes. Fry on all sides till a deep brown. You can substitute any part of this recipe to your liking to make more or less spicy.

this sounds authentic.
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Carnitas - 05/08/18 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw

this sounds authentic.

Yes, this authentic recipe I got from the mother of a Mexican employee.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Carnitas - 05/08/18 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw

this sounds authentic.

Yes, this authentic recipe I got from the mother of a Mexican employee.

That's pretty much it. I also like to add onion & chipotle, and shred the meat some when you're frying at the end. up
Posted By: HuntingTexas

Re: Carnitas - 05/08/18 02:10 PM

Thanks guys. I appreciate the recipes. May be awhile but I’ll let you know how it turns out.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum