Texas Hunting Forum

Grits. I hate grits.

Posted By: 603Country

Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 04:52 PM

On the road today. Went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast. Ordered a standard breakfast, and it came with grits. I tried them, and they are every bit as tasteless as the last time i tried them. The wife ate some of them, saying she liked them, but she didn’t eat much. I asked why, and she said she didn’t want the calories. Calories? How can something like that even have calories.

Do you folks eat grits? Do you mix in stuff that has a good taste?
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 04:54 PM

I eat them all the time but Cracker Barrel
grits are pitiful.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 04:57 PM

grits are okay with a little salt and a LOT Of black pepper ... prefer hashbrowns.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 04:58 PM

Add butter and lots of pepper. grill
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 04:59 PM

Cheese grits and fried bass filets are one of my favorite meals
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 05:04 PM

Milk, bacon, cheese and pepper.
Posted By: txmudder

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 05:07 PM

Halfadozen has a heck of a good grits recipe that he makes at the lease. As long as the have a bunch of cheese in them I like grits.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 05:13 PM

First off, grits are not a calorie problem, but a carbohydrate problem similar to bread and potatoes.

Second off, grits are great! I love them.

Top dish - Shrimp and Grits. Make them this way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=13&v=D7qIC4ew0F4

Other good dishes:
Cheese grits
Grits with crumbled sausage, sautéed onions, Bell peppers, and Jalapeños,
Simple grits with butter and fresh black pepper.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 05:13 PM

I like grits
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 05:18 PM

Grits need cheese and shrimp in them. By themselves for breakfast, yuck.
Posted By: Sniper.270

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 05:19 PM

You can't beat a bowl of good shrimp and grits. Yum.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 05:46 PM

Love cheese grits (shrimp & grits). Use broth instead of water.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 05:56 PM

Real, cooked, raw grits, not instant like Cracker Barrel

Add heavy cream, sugar and REAL unsalted butter.

They call it Georgia Ice Cream

OMG !!!!!!! food
Posted By: chalet

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 06:19 PM

Grits is grits..

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7135257/Cheesy_Grits_with_sausage!#Post7135257
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 06:20 PM

I love grits with butter and black pepper

a side of eggs over easy, venison breakfast sausage and couple of biscuits helps
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 06:32 PM

I can eat most things but I would never order grits.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 06:33 PM

LOVE grits - almost any way is fine, but with just butter, salt, and pepper they are perfect.
Posted By: TooLow

Love me some cheese shrimp grits
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

I like grits, but I love cheese grits.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 06:57 PM

sick

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 07:04 PM

Eggs & grits go well together. I also recently discovered that oatmeal & eggs are great together. I make a bowl of plain oatmeal with honey drizzled on top. Then lay 2 over easy eggs on top and 5 or 6 dashes of hot sauce. Take a spoon and cut the eggs up/break the yokes and mix all that together. Sounds nasty, pretty much looks nasty, but it tastes great!
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 07:06 PM

Add salt and pepper to taste and they are good.

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 07:09 PM

IME if you have to doctor up any food to make it taste better then it wasn't worth eating in the first place. grin
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 07:20 PM

I haven't had my first good grits yet.

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
IME if you have to doctor up any food to make it taste better then it wasn't worth eating in the first place. grin

What? You mean you don’t put ketchup on your steak?
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 07:28 PM

Kind of like a baked potato, it's used to hold all the other good stuff together.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: bassfishinglawyer
LOVE grits - almost any way is fine, but with just butter, salt, and pepper they are perfect.

This. But I'm definitely going to try Half's recipe.

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback

If you see me grab ketchup then it means I am very hungry and the food tasted like flush I don't use steak sauce either on a steak. Might use BBQ sauce after I grill a steak to long. But I could put ketchup on top the chili with beans that I put on top of scrambled eggs. grin
Posted By: Cherokee Mingan

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 07:55 PM

Try some good "Shrimp and Grits" from a Cajun restaurant and then report back to me please.
Posted By: RayB

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 08:02 PM

Yellow corn grits over three fried eggs with black pepper
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 08:02 PM

Jelly and butter in mine. You should try it.

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 08:51 PM

If you see me grab ketchup then it means I am very hungry and the food tasted like flush I don't use steak sauce either on a steak. Might use BBQ sauce after I grill a steak to long. But I could put ketchup on top the chili with beans that I put on top of scrambled eggs. grin

roflmao
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 09:47 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

This. But I'm definitely going to try Half's recipe.
Hope you like it, not much better than cheesy sausage grits along side some huevos!
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: txmudder
Halfadozen has a heck of a good grits recipe that he makes at the lease. As long as the have a bunch of cheese in them I like grits.
LOL, but there is not much better than your nilgai steaks sir!
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 09:52 PM

Grits runny egg yokes lots of salt & pepper mixed in a bowl, NO egg whites... chef
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 09:53 PM

I have never made them, but I will get them when we go to a above average restaurant.
Posted By: texasag93

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Hancock
Kind of like a baked potato, it's used to hold all the other good stuff together.

This.

Butter and sugar
Honey
Syrup
cheese
butter, salt, and pepper
Shrimp
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 10:10 PM

barf

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 10:48 PM

So, if i understand this correctly, grits are sort of like the tasteless glue used to stick all the good tasting stuff together. I suppose that is some sort of justification for eating grits, but I’m still not wanting grits. I’ll stick to good tasting stuff for breakfast.

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 10:54 PM

Try some good cheese grits.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 10:55 PM

The best grits I had were pimento n cheese mixed with the grits, served with grilled shrimps and fried green tomatos.
Posted By: General Guts

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/25/18 11:02 PM

Ketchup or peanut butter make anything good
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/26/18 12:01 AM

Grits are one of my favorite things to eat....when cooked right. I make some green chile cheddar grits that are top notch! Cracker Barrel grits are pitiful.

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/26/18 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: 603Country
So, if i understand this correctly, grits are sort of like the tasteless glue used to stick all the good tasting stuff together. I suppose that is some sort of justification for eating grits, but I’m still not wanting grits. I’ll stick to good tasting stuff for breakfast.

Well sir, do you eat spaghetti, macaroni or rice without adding something to them after they are boiled?
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/26/18 02:22 AM

Grits and Red Eye gravy go together like home folks at Christmas....
Ron

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/26/18 02:23 AM

Dang, BayouGuy, I hate it when somebody throws logic into my opinions. But...good point. I still hate grits though.

Let’s see....meatballs and meat sauce on grits....Nope. But it’ll work on rice or macaroni.

All that stuff you guys want to mix in or put on your grits will work on toast, though catsup might be a stretch. And you can pick up the toast, whereas grits are hard to get a grip on.

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/26/18 02:53 AM

Sorry about the logic. It's one of my flaws. blush
Posted By: Pupjoint

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/26/18 03:02 AM

Grits and fried eggs, now that's a meal!
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/26/18 03:06 AM

They go by many names, but a whole lotta Africa survives on 'em.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/26/18 07:18 AM

Posted By: Cast

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/26/18 10:57 AM

Grits, like all other foods, just needs to be prepared and served properly. Grits were made to go beside over easy eggs and bacon. Try preparing a large batch in advance, enough to fill your banana bread loaf pan. Salt and pepper to taste then cover and refrigerate. Tomorrow morning, get your bacon going in the skillet, you need that grease for your new best breakfast item. Get your grits out of the fridge and slice off a 1" thick end slice. Ease it out of the pan, keeping it as whole as possible, and fry it in the bacon grease. Don't fiddle with it, just watch he edges while cooking it slowly until it browns, then flip it and brown the other side. About now is a good time to start those over easy eggs so it all comes out together. The now crispy and tasty grits will fit right in with the egg yoke. Enjoy!
Posted By: Guy

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/26/18 11:06 AM

Like it with fried eggs over easy.
Posted By: Teal28

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/26/18 12:01 PM

I love em. Great with salt, pepper and butter, or butter and sugar. Great fried too. Though not many folks know how to fry them.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/26/18 05:50 PM

Originally Posted By: ndhunter
I love grits with butter and black pepper

a side of eggs over easy, venison breakfast sausage and couple of biscuits helps

Add sausage gravy to those biscuits and you have the perfect breakfast. up
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/26/18 06:03 PM

No one should put ketchup on their steak. eeks333

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/26/18 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Choctaw

I was kidding. roflmao
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/26/18 06:18 PM

Fried grits is the best version. Cook your grits when cooked stir in some crumbled sausage, some chopped onions that have been sautéed, shredded cheese, plenty of pepper and salt to taste. Then spread that mixture on a sheet pan about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Cool in a fridge overnight. Cut into about 2" squares, then dip in an egg wash, flour mix and fry them to a golden brown.

Serve like small pancakes with lots of butter and molasses. Or serve with some good sausage gravy.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/26/18 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Fried grits is the best version. Cook your grits when cooked stir in some crumbled sausage, some chopped onions that have been sautéed, shredded cheese, plenty of pepper and salt to taste. Then spread that mixture on a sheet pan about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Cool in a fridge overnight. Cut into about 2" squares, then dip in an egg wash, flour mix and fry them to a golden brown.

Serve like small pancakes with lots of butter and molasses. Or serve with some good sausage gravy.

I bet you could freeze a bunch of those and they'd be just as good as fresh.

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/26/18 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast

I bet you could freeze a bunch of those and they'd be just as good as fresh.

You can freeze them until you are ready to fry them, after they are fried, they are best eaten as soon as possible.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/26/18 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Choctaw

I was kidding. roflmao

Okay, but I'm going to keep my eye on you just in case. peep
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/26/18 09:28 PM

Some of y'all must be from New York City. roflmao roflmao roflmao

Grits are great!!!!
Posted By: gtrich94

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/26/18 09:52 PM

I don't make them at home, but if I get them in a diner, I usually eat them with 3 or 4 butter pads and 5 or 6 packets of sugar. Without something else, Grits are just tasteless baby food.

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/27/18 02:18 PM

I forgot one of my favorites - grits with liver & onions.
Posted By: DTCOOPER

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/27/18 02:28 PM

My local diner makes awesome grits... Big bowl of grits with over easy egg yolks, and Cholula hot sauce.. MMM HMMMM..

Cracker Barrel here in our little town should just take grits off their menu.. they look like a little bowl of congealed white jello.. And taste about the same
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/27/18 05:12 PM

The best grits I've ever had were horrible.......
Posted By: OkieDokie

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/27/18 06:19 PM

Andouille sausage and cheesy grits. food
Posted By: txshotgun

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/28/18 02:20 PM

It's hilarious when people say they HATE grits then will eat polenta with their Italian dinner.

Get some REAL stone ground grits, cook according to the directions. Season with salt and pepper. FYI, I always put my over easy eggs ON top of my grits.

Grits make me think of my grandma and those great breakfasts way back when... dang dust.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/28/18 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: txshotgun
It's hilarious when people say they HATE grits then will eat polenta with their Italian dinner.

Get some REAL stone ground grits, cook according to the directions. Season with salt and pepper. FYI, I always put my over easy eggs ON top of my grits.

Grits make me think of my grandma and those great breakfasts way back when... dang dust.

My breakfast and memaw memory is biscuits and gravy (I called it dip) course her biscuits did not come from a can.

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/28/18 03:08 PM

Real men have grits ... For their hogs

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/28/18 04:04 PM

Polenta.....who the heck eats that stuff?

I was just talking to the SiL, and grits got mentioned. He said he liked grits and shrimp. I asked what grits added to the eating experience, and he said “Uhhhh....i don’t know. Maybe i don’t need the grits in it”.

You guys are adding stuff to the grits to give it flavor. The grits are just an ‘extender’ for volume. Kind of like Tofu.

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/28/18 04:15 PM

I was just talking to the SiL, and grits got mentioned. He said he liked grits and shrimp. I asked what grits added to the eating experience, and he said “Uhhhh....i don’t know. Maybe i don’t need the grits in it”.

You guys are adding stuff to the grits to give it flavor. The grits are just an ‘extender’ for volume. Kind of like Tofu.

Do you eat the shrimp without adding any seasonings? Or what about a smoked brisket, do you smoke it without any seasoning? Most people add something to everything. Besides, grits is just corn that has been processed, it's a vegetable. You could substitute a potato, but that would still be just an extender for volume. Kind of like tofu...
Posted By: Greg

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/28/18 04:29 PM

I’m more of a cream of wheat kinda guy... throw in butter, a couple spoonfuls of sugar and a little milk. Used to love it as a kid
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/28/18 04:37 PM

Polenta croutons are awesome!
Posted By: chalet

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/28/18 05:03 PM

Do you eat the shrimp without adding any seasonings? Or what about a smoked brisket, do you smoke it without any seasoning? Most people add something to everything. Besides, grits is just corn that has been processed, it's a vegetable. You could substitute a potato, but that would still be just an extender for volume. Kind of like tofu...

You can lead a horse to water....
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/28/18 05:04 PM

Kiss my grits
Posted By: jakebunch

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/29/18 12:25 AM

Grits are great! Bust those over easy eggs into them with cathead bisquits and life is good.

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/29/18 12:56 AM

Posted By: 10pointers

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 04/29/18 01:05 AM

love me some grits

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 05/15/18 05:08 PM

Shrimp & grits with fried pork chops. Been having it about once a week lately. Douse them chops down in some Louisiana Hot Sauce, Hm Hmnnnn!

Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 05/15/18 11:09 PM

Grits. sick Yuck!

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 05/15/18 11:24 PM

Cheese grits, and they are awesome. up
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 05/15/18 11:44 PM

Shrimp & grits with fried pork chops. Been having it about once a week lately. Douse them chops down in some Louisiana Hot Sauce, Hm Hmnnnn!

flame
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 05/15/18 11:45 PM

man skinner we need to plan a visit little buddy!
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 05/15/18 11:50 PM

Daaamn Skinner food

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 05/16/18 12:48 AM

This is offshore cookin' fellas, I can't claim this but I sure did eat it LOL. For the first time ever we smoked a brisket out here too today. Got a BBQ pit set up in a safe area and found a brisket in SE Louisiana. food
Posted By: Etex

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 05/16/18 02:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater

X2. Heck yeah with bacon crumbled up in it as well
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Grits. I hate grits. - 05/16/18 05:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Etex
Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater

X2. Heck yeah with bacon crumbled up in it as well

Here I thought my family was the only ones who ate yella grits over eggs. Maybe were related. Best yellow grits come from a mill in Georgia.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum