Texas Hunting Forum

Dinner tonight

Posted By: bill oxner

Dinner tonight - 03/19/18 09:36 PM

Leftovers.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Dinner tonight - 03/19/18 10:04 PM

Love leftovers.

Do you heat them Bill? I enjoy mine cold straight out of the fridge, I find microwaving or even reheating in an oven etc can give it a funny texture or dry it out too much.

Re: Dinner tonight - 03/19/18 10:45 PM

Two minutes in the microwave for me.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Dinner tonight - 03/19/18 10:46 PM

I hate peas.

Re: Dinner tonight - 03/19/18 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw
I hate peas.

I've been waiting for this. I do not argue taste, but try them my way. Drain the can, add butter, bullion, and minced onions. Carrots take on several different flavors and so will the peas.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Dinner tonight - 03/19/18 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw
I hate peas.

I've been waiting for this. I do not argue taste, but try them my way. Drain the can, add butter, bullion, and minced onions. Carrots take on several different flavors and so will the peas.

I can eat them, but I don't seek them out. Would rather have brussle sprouts.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Dinner tonight - 03/20/18 12:13 AM

I hate peas too! Then again, I hate almost every vegetable with the exception of salad stuff. The meat loaf and Mac and cheese looks great.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Dinner tonight - 03/20/18 12:44 AM

Meatloaf. sick
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Dinner tonight - 03/20/18 01:40 AM

food
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Dinner tonight - 03/20/18 02:36 AM

Homemade pad krapow
Posted By: PKnTX

Re: Dinner tonight - 03/20/18 02:39 AM

Love meatloaf and peas. Mac & cheese out of a box is ok.

Tonight was NY strip skillet seared and roasted red potatoes.
I believe it was the rarest steak I've eaten yet and it was delicious.
Posted By: CassCounty

Re: Dinner tonight - 03/20/18 03:31 AM

Leftover meatloaf is Great! and that plate of food is fit for a king. I love peas the way my cajun Mother cooks them, We call them roux peas. The grandkids make her cook a big pot so they can carry cool whip containers full home.

Tonight my Daughter and I ate at our local JB's Hot Link restaurant. It was really good.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Dinner tonight - 03/20/18 12:12 PM

Our leftover meatloaf usually goes cold on a sandwich..........
Posted By: chalet

Re: Dinner tonight - 03/20/18 12:32 PM

I love meatloaf sandwiches.
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Dinner tonight - 03/20/18 12:51 PM

Looks good minus the peas and carrots.

Re: Dinner tonight - 03/20/18 01:18 PM

Originally Posted By: CassCounty
Leftover meatloaf is Great! and that plate of food is fit for a king. I love peas the way my cajun Mother cooks them, We call them roux peas. The grandkids make her cook a big pot so they can carry cool whip containers full home.

Tonight my Daughter and I ate at our local JB's Hot Link restaurant. It was really good.

Tell me about these roux peas..... food
Posted By: Stub

Re: Dinner tonight - 03/20/18 03:19 PM

Looks real good Bill, but that is a mighty Big Serving don't you think laugh bolt

BTW I like peas up
Posted By: Cast

Re: Dinner tonight - 03/20/18 05:29 PM

Man, how are you a stringbean eating so good every day?
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Dinner tonight - 03/20/18 06:18 PM

Try a can of LeSueur "Very young small" peas. You can get them plain or with mushrooms and pearl onions. Don't drain them, just pour them into a sauce pan, add a pat of butter an a dash of salt and pepper, and heat up. They're totally different from the big, ugly, foul tasting, bright green peas,and taste great.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Dinner tonight - 03/20/18 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: retfuz
Try a can of LeSueur "Very young small" peas. You can get them plain or with mushrooms and pearl onions. Don't drain them, just pour them into a sauce pan, add a pat of butter an a dash of salt and pepper, and heat up. They're totally different from the big, ugly, foul tasting, bright green peas,and taste great.

This is what we eat.......Um good.
Posted By: CassCounty

Re: Dinner tonight - 03/21/18 02:10 AM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback

1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1/4 cup finely chopped bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped green onions, whites and green tops
1 clove garlic finely chopped
1 tsp chopped parsely
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cajun seasoning
1/2 tsp paprika
3 cans Le Seuer petit pois peas
2 tsp sugar

Make a copper penny colored roux using the oil and flour. Add all vegetables except garlic and cook until very, very tender. Add garlic and seasonings when vegetables are almost finished cooking. Open cans of peas and pour one can of the juice from peas in a container to save in case needed. Pour all three cans of peas including the juice from the two cans in the pot with roux and vegetables. Cook on Medium/low for 30 minutes, then add 2 tsps sugar and stir. Cook until thickness you desire/stew consistency. Delicious!!!

This version is our favorite that has been handed down.

Some cajuns serve over rice. Some add sausage or tasso. Some use bacon grease to make roux.

Re: Dinner tonight - 03/21/18 10:48 AM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback

1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1/4 cup finely chopped bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped green onions, whites and green tops
1 clove garlic finely chopped
1 tsp chopped parsely
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cajun seasoning
1/2 tsp paprika
3 cans Le Seuer petit pois peas
2 tsp sugar

Make a copper penny colored roux using the oil and flour. Add all vegetables except garlic and cook until very, very tender. Add garlic and seasonings when vegetables are almost finished cooking. Open cans of peas and pour one can of the juice from peas in a container to save in case needed. Pour all three cans of peas including the juice from the two cans in the pot with roux and vegetables. Cook on Medium/low for 30 minutes, then add 2 tsps sugar and stir. Cook until thickness you desire/stew consistency. Delicious!!!

This version is our favorite that has been handed down.

Some cajuns serve over rice. Some add sausage or tasso. Some use bacon grease to make roux.

Thank you for sharing! I appreciate it. Gonna try these next week.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum