Texas Hunting Forum

Sausage ideas

Posted By: redchevy

Sausage ideas - 03/12/18 04:23 PM

I have been wanting to make another kind of sausage, typically jalapeno and cheese gets my vote, I love it, but my wife and 3 year old will absolutely not eat it, they don't care for anything hot.

I was thinking about making some sausage with bell peppers or some other form of pepper that is not spicy or not near as spicy as jalapenos can be, possibly adding onion to the mix as well.

Any thoughts, or has anyone tried something similar? I tried some "fajita sausage" this year at the rodeo, it was basically fajitas onions and bell pepper ground and stuffed in a casing, while it wasn't the best, it got me to thinking.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Sausage ideas - 03/12/18 04:31 PM

you can drastically tame down jalapeno heat for those that can't handle the hotter side and still get that distinct jalapeno flavor ... remove the seed and vein (vain?) before chopping them up to put in your sausage. I really don't care for the flavor of bell pepper and my wife can't handle the full on heat of jalapeno.

I'm also not sure how onion would freeze within the sausage.

if you want to add in a interesting flavor, add a little whole mustard seed. That really brought out my dad's summer sausage and he started adding it to our link and even breakfast sausage.

Re: Sausage ideas - 03/12/18 04:39 PM

We have always just used pickled sliced jalapenos in our sausage, easy and they are pretty mild to begin with. If she was to eat Whataburger spicy ketchup I think it would take a week for her mouth to quit burning lol.

Appreciate the suggestions and will look into the mustard seed. I was trying to think of the names earlier and couldn't maybe poblano or some other kind of pepper would be interesting.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Sausage ideas - 03/12/18 05:00 PM

I like a good kielbasa.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Sausage ideas - 03/12/18 05:02 PM

make you some boudin
Posted By: driedmeat

Re: Sausage ideas - 03/12/18 05:19 PM

for variety I always make an unsmoked batch with roasted garlic, fresh chopped green onion, and fresh chopped parsley stirred in, and a little heavier on the course black pepper.

Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Sausage ideas - 03/12/18 05:35 PM

Green onion sausage is hard to beat.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Sausage ideas - 03/12/18 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw
I like a good kielbasa.

Me too. I love pan fried potatoes with, onions, bell peppers, and Italian sausage. I throw zucchini and yellow squash in there if my garden is in.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Sausage ideas - 03/12/18 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: BayouGuy

What he said. ^^^ Green onion pork & chicken sausage is the bomb.

Love homemade bratwurst too. Also hard to beat just good ol' homemade smoked sausage. No japs & cheese, just seasoning/minced garlic/black pepper. Always a hit for me with finicky eaters.

Re: Sausage ideas - 03/12/18 06:34 PM

Will have to give the green oinion a try for me... I love them. Its probably another thing the wife will not eat though.

Re: Sausage ideas - 03/12/18 06:36 PM

roflmao

Re: Sausage ideas - 03/12/18 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback
roflmao

If it aint one thing its another... I sure hope my kids inherit my eating habits!!!
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Sausage ideas - 03/12/18 08:25 PM

60% pork, 40% venison. Salt, pepper and whole mustard seed. I don't like the flavorings to overpower the taste of the meat.

Re: Sausage ideas - 03/12/18 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: skinnerback
roflmao

If it aint one thing its another... I sure hope my kids inherit my eating habits!!!

Kids are weird. Made chicken enchiladas for mine the other day. They ate the shredded chicken by itself and loved it. Ate the corn torts by themselves and loved them. Put chicken in the tort and rolled them up, wouldn't touch it. roflmao
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Sausage ideas - 03/12/18 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: BayouGuy

good stuff!
Posted By: majekman

Re: Sausage ideas - 03/12/18 09:23 PM

Fresh jalapeņos....slice in half length wise. Scrape all seeds an veins out and place in a bowl with water. Put in fridge overnight. Chop em up and put in sausage. Great jalapeņo taste without the heat. My grandkids love it and they hate anything hot
Posted By: don k

Re: Sausage ideas - 03/12/18 10:30 PM

Your wife must be like mine. I make the sausage and I eat it. At least that way I put what i want and try what I want.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Sausage ideas - 03/13/18 01:32 AM

Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw
I like a good kielbasa.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum