Texas Hunting Forum

Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt...

Posted By: skinnerback

Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 12/28/17 09:35 PM

Perfect weather for a big hot bowl of spicey tomatoey goodness. Hmn hmn...it's not my homemade smoked sausage but it'll work.

Thanks for lookin'.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 12/28/17 10:02 PM

nice! never tried it with sausage.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 12/28/17 10:04 PM

I was born a twin and separated at birth. You have to be my long lost twin. I got what I thought was frozen marinara out of the freezer. I was my creole sauce. A neighbor brought me what she called salsa. It was chopped tomatoes, onions, and maybe, just maybe one jalapeño. I stewed the sauces together and plan to serve them over pasta. Take a peek.

Thanks for looking.

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 12/28/17 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Yes Sir! I like sausage or chicken and sausage. Last time I made it with dove and rabbit, was good.

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 12/28/17 10:12 PM

Heck yeh, that looks good Bill. up
Posted By: JLP83

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 12/28/17 10:14 PM

food
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 12/28/17 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback
Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Yes Sir! I like sausage or chicken and sausage. Last time I made it with dove and rabbit, was good.

you should try it with frog legs. Make you slap your mamma.

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 12/28/17 10:35 PM

That sounds good.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 12/29/17 12:14 AM

You are kicking out some exceptional stuff as of late. Keep up good work amigo cheers
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 12/29/17 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: 2Beez
You are kicking out some exceptional stuff as of late. Keep up good work amigo cheers

Well articulated.
Posted By: easttexasdiver

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 01/21/18 11:14 PM

food
Posted By: chalet

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 01/24/18 02:38 AM

That looks great. Would you mind sharing the recipe? I'd like to try it out.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 01/24/18 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Originally Posted By: 2Beez

Well articulated.

x2!

Would love to hear a recipe if you have one, I think I would like that and just made a little run of sausage not long ago.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 01/24/18 06:36 PM

Good stuff!
Posted By: bp3

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 01/24/18 08:43 PM

food
Posted By: Cast

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 01/24/18 10:39 PM

So, that's kind of a creole sauce, like shrimp creole?

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 01/24/18 11:30 PM

Sorry guys I don't really have a recipe, but...

All I do is first make a dark roux, not gumbo dark but dark. I like to make my roux's in a seperate skillet and have ready before I get started.

I chop one yellow onion and brown down real good with 1
stick of real butter, then add the trinity until soft followed by garlic at the end. Remove and place on plate with paper towels to drain excess butter. I also remove excess butter from pot.

Then I brown whatever meat I'm using. When brown I add in the roux, the trinity & garlic, and tomato paste. Stir that in good and let the tomato paste cook a little. Then I add my chicken stock, little Worchestershire, and a good dose of Louisiana hot sauce. Let simmer for a few hours, then season at the end with Cajun seasoning. That's pretty much it.

Not a Creole dish. Think of it as a spicey tomato gravy. Oh, sometimes I add diced tomatos also.
Posted By: TXSIGNGUY

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 01/24/18 11:37 PM

Sorry guys I don't really have a recipe, but...

All I do is first make a dark roux, not gumbo dark but dark. I like to make my roux's in a seperate skillet and have ready before I get started.

I chop one yellow onion and brown down real good with 1
stick of real butter, then add the trinity until soft followed by garlic at the end. Remove and place on plate with paper towels to drain excess butter. I also remove excess butter from pot.

Then I brown whatever meat I'm using. When brown I add in the roux, the trinity & garlic, and tomato paste. Stir that in good and let the tomato paste cook a little. Then I add my chicken stock, little Worchestershire, and a good dose of Louisiana hot sauce. Let simmer for a few hours, then season at the end with Cajun seasoning. That's pretty much it.

Not a Creole dish. Think of it as a spicey tomato gravy. Oh, sometimes I add diced tomatos also.
up Sounds outstanding... food

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 01/24/18 11:38 PM

The trinity? SPG?

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 01/24/18 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
The trinity? SPG?

No Sir. Onion, celery, bell pepper is the Cajun trinity. I use red bell pepper vs the green.

Oh, and I forgot about the cayenne pepper. I like to sweat when I eat it.

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 01/24/18 11:56 PM

I should have said add the celery & bell pepper to the onion instead. I like to cook the onions down good and dark first, not burnt just nice and caramalized. Love that rich & sweet flavor. Oh, and doing a sausage sauce piquaunt I remove the fat after browning. Chicken fat stays in the pot.

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 01/25/18 12:08 AM

Smacksmacksmack

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 01/25/18 03:50 AM

Sounds great and thank you, but you lost me at "excess butter" ....Thats why God created bread and biscuits.

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 01/25/18 04:09 AM

Originally Posted By: chalet
Sounds great and thank you, but you lost me at "excess butter" ....Thats why God created bread and biscuits.

roflmao I hear you friend. I used to leave it all in there, but sometimes it's a little too buttery when you eat it. So started removing the excess. I do love my butter though. grin
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 01/25/18 02:28 PM

I looked up a few recipes they share a lot in common with what you describe. Ill try and take a little from each, gotta try it though, looks too good. I told my wife it was like a Cajun/itallian enspired carne guisada lol

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 01/25/18 04:49 PM

Yep pretty much lol, give it a shot and post some pics!

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 02/18/18 11:43 PM

Haven't forgot about this one. Chalet'd a little bit. Jury gets home from Church about 7 ....

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 02/18/18 11:57 PM

clap I'm sittin' out here in 4,300 ft of water wishing I had some. grin Looks good! What kind of meat did you use?

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 02/19/18 12:03 AM

Pound of bulk hot italian and 1# of smoked andouille from sprouts. Somebody said gravy, I kept thinking about breakfast sausage gravy with crumbled sausage in it. Also added bay leaves, little oregano to sweeten it up for the kids.

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 02/19/18 12:06 AM

Have some jalepeno German deer sausage cased up, just can't seem to use Jalepeno's much in cajun food. Won't come together in my head as being "right".

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 02/19/18 12:19 AM

Man that sounds good!

As far as the jalapeno sausage, do it! I never in a million years thought I would ever eat much less like any kind of a chicken sausage. Cajun buddy of mine kept raving about how good this chicken & jalapeno sausage was from Nunu's Fresh Market in Lafayette (Youngsville) La, so I tried some. It's darn good and got the whole family hooked on it, bring hundreds of dollars of it home with me now. roflmao Grilled is good but most of the time I make a smothered sausage with it (crumbled), served over rice. Pretty much a fricassee, good classic Cajun dish. Jalapeno flavor mixed with their Cajun seasoning is a heck of a combo.

I bet the family will like your sauce piquant.

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 02/20/18 01:21 AM

Well, what was the verdict Sir?
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 02/20/18 01:27 AM

I’ve had many types of chicken sausage, different brands and such; I’m just not a fan.

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 02/21/18 05:14 AM

Well, what was the verdict Sir?

Good stuff. I might have went a little heavy on tomato paste. 1 c oil / 1 flour four roux. Maybe 2 quarts chicken broth, 2 cans tomato paste. Had leftovers tonight, definitely will make again.

Re: Smoked sausage sauce piquaunt... - 02/21/18 12:40 PM

up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum