Texas Hunting Forum

Whole pineapple

Posted By: bill oxner

Whole pineapple - 12/12/17 04:21 PM

They were on sale for 77cents each at HEB yesterday. Half the shoppers had one or two in their carts. I just couldn't pass it up. Now I'm having second thoughts. Have you ever? Worth the effort?

Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Whole pineapple - 12/12/17 04:49 PM

Slightly over ripen, slice bout 1/2" thick "patties" then place them on the grill over a low heat.....turn regularly until golden brown on both sides......

Makes a great side for fish of pork......
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Whole pineapple - 12/12/17 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Slightly over ripen, slice bout 1/2" thick "patties" then place them on the grill over a low heat.....turn regularly until golden brown on both sides......

Makes a great side for fish of pork......

X2, used to do this all the time.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Whole pineapple - 12/12/17 05:10 PM

Love it! I lay fresh pineapple on meats while they smoke. It's excellent grilled too.
Posted By: OkieDokie

Re: Whole pineapple - 12/12/17 05:12 PM

It is a lot better than canned pineapple, but if you eat too much it will give you sores in your mouth from the acid.

Re: Whole pineapple - 12/12/17 05:12 PM

It was not as much trouble as I first thought. I got out my big cutting board, peeled it, quartered it, then cut the core out of each quarter. It was great. Looks as if it will last awhile.

Re: Whole pineapple - 12/12/17 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
It was not as much trouble as I first thought. I got out my big cutting board, peeled it, quartered it, then cut the core out of each quarter. It was great. Looks as if it will last awhile.

up
Posted By: DPirates80

Re: Whole pineapple - 12/13/17 04:03 PM

My wife buys them all the time. the girls love em.
Posted By: ChrisG

Re: Whole pineapple - 12/14/17 02:33 AM

Look up Maui Gold if you prefer sweeter less acidic pineapple.

https://pineapplemaui.com/
Posted By: bp3

Re: Whole pineapple - 12/14/17 03:08 AM

Friends om Maui says to cut the top off and stand them where you cut them off for 2-3 days and they will be sweeter. food

Re: Whole pineapple - 12/14/17 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By: bp3
Friends om Maui says to cut the top off and stand them where you cut them off for 2-3 days and they will be sweeter. food
I've heard that too....cut the green "plant" off the top including 1/2" TO 3/4" thick top part of the fruit.....place the plant in a pot with potting soil then place the fruit on a plate cut side down for 2-3 days.......
Posted By: rickym

Re: Whole pineapple - 12/15/17 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: ChrisG

You've got to be kidding me!? Do people really pay those outrageous prices? whip

Re: Whole pineapple - 12/15/17 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: rickym

You've got to be kidding me!? Do people really pay those outrageous prices? whip

I've bought them on sale for a couple of dollars.

Re: Whole pineapple - 12/15/17 08:51 PM

Stealing a pineapple in Hawaii is a big deal. You can get shot and thrown under the jail.

Re: Whole pineapple - 12/15/17 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: rickym

Not me.... I don't like pineapple that much....
Posted By: bp3

Re: Whole pineapple - 12/16/17 04:06 AM

Worked off shore out of Jakarta,Indonesia and spent small amount of time in Sumatra and the maid at our staff house would by them 10 for a dollar,but they were about a third as large as we get here but had great flavor a super sweet. food
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Whole pineapple - 12/16/17 03:14 PM

I love fresh pineapple! Raw or grilled. The grilled is great served hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.

Another thing you can do is use it to tenderize tough meat. Blend it into a puree and marinate tough cuts in it overnight. The enzyme bromelain in fresh pineapple breaks down tough meat very well. There are no enzymes in canned pinapple.

Re: Whole pineapple - 12/16/17 04:46 PM

I decided to add a little color. I bought a fruit cup and added to the pineapple. That ran my cost up to $3.75.

Posted By: Kthnx

Re: Whole pineapple - 12/18/17 05:31 PM

Brown sugar and cinnamon on the grill. Taste fantastic.

Re: Whole pineapple - 12/18/17 05:47 PM

I make a sweet rub with brown sugar and Canadian Steak Seasoning. Then grill or smoke on top of the meat.
Posted By: Hogflyer

Re: Whole pineapple - 12/25/17 01:55 PM

Lay a slice of pineapple on cuts of venison or grill meats, adds a different flavor, chicken is good too!

hunt safe all....
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum