Texas Hunting Forum

Need some smoked venison recipes

Posted By: whitewing maniac

Need some smoked venison recipes - 11/15/17 04:48 PM

I've never smoked a venison roast before, so some tips on temps and what the tricks are to keeping this lean meat moist and tender would be helpful.

Roast I have is 4#.
Posted By: ThreePeppers

Re: Need some smoked venison recipes - 11/15/17 04:57 PM

Following...
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Need some smoked venison recipes - 11/15/17 06:37 PM

I'd do it like a brisket.....couple of hours in the smoke then wrap in foil to finish....once fully cooked let it rest an hour or so in a cooler before slicing.....
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Need some smoked venison recipes - 11/15/17 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
I'd do it like a brisket.....couple of hours in the smoke then wrap in foil to finish....once fully cooked let it rest an hour or so in a cooler before slicing.....

I've tried to cook it like I would do a brisket but it came out dry as dust. I think next time I'll try injecting it first.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Need some smoked venison recipes - 11/15/17 08:14 PM

old best deer recipe thread
if you scroll down and find my picture laced recipe ... comes out great ... basically, butterfly the roast, stuff, roll back up and wrap with bacon, smoke low n slow (the bacon keeps the outer portion moist) for several hours until the center reaches 140 (160+ if you use sausage like I did), then move to directly over hot coals to crisp up the outer bacon ...
Posted By: whitewing maniac

Re: Need some smoked venison recipes - 11/15/17 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: PMK
old best deer recipe thread
if you scroll down and find my picture laced recipe ... comes out great ... basically, butterfly the roast, stuff, roll back up and wrap with bacon, smoke low n slow (the bacon keeps the outer portion moist) for several hours until the center reaches 140 (160+ if you use sausage like I did), then move to directly over hot coals to crisp up the outer bacon ...

You only had pit at 150-170 for 2 hours?
Posted By: PMK

Re: Need some smoked venison recipes - 11/16/17 03:45 PM

yep, running low to keep the venison on the rarer side, then remembered I had sausage mixed in the inside that needed to get considerably hotter.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum