Texas Hunting Forum

brine for chikin / turkey?

Posted By: hallfns

brine for chikin / turkey? - 10/21/15 02:01 AM

Gonna fire up the smoker this weekend and do the first brisket in it.

I wanna do a couple of chikins' as well.... who has a good brine/process?
Posted By: wacorusty

Re: brine for chikin / turkey? - 10/21/15 11:33 AM

Boil water with salt, throw in a couple bay leaves and some onion and garlic powder or fresh cut. Let the water cool, same temp as bird in fridge. Soak them overnight.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: brine for chikin / turkey? - 10/21/15 02:56 PM

^^^Pretty much spot on to what I use.
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: brine for chikin / turkey? - 10/21/15 03:19 PM

I normally do 1 to 1 brine. 1 cup salt (without iodine) and 1 cup sugar per gallon of water needed to cover the meat (boiling makes it easier to desolve). Make sure the brine is cold before pouring it then keep it all as cold as possible (don't freeze) like in a refrigerator for at least 24 hours or 48 hrs for large turkey. You can add in different spices for the flavoring but I haven't noticed much difference within the meat in my experience. I brine for the moisture and I use my rub for the flavor profile. Using a brine make a big difference.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: brine for chikin / turkey? - 10/21/15 03:28 PM

^^^si^^^
Posted By: Eagle 1

Re: brine for chikin / turkey? - 10/21/15 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: BuckRage
I normally do 1 to 1 brine. 1 cup salt (without iodine) and 1 cup sugar per gallon of water needed to cover the meat (boiling makes it easier to desolve). Make sure the brine is cold before pouring it then keep it all as cold as possible (don't freeze) like in a refrigerator for at least 24 hours or 48 hrs for large turkey. You can add in different spices for the flavoring but I haven't noticed much difference within the meat in my experience. I brine for the moisture and I use my rub for the flavor profile. Using a brine make a big difference.

Yep; however, cut the water in 1/2 when dissolving the spices...add 5-10#'s ice to cool the liquid faster then enjoy.
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: brine for chikin / turkey? - 10/21/15 04:07 PM

I also do a 1 to 1 on salt and sugar in mine. I use the smae brine for pork as well as chicken.

I use coarse gound sea salt, brown sugar, and my favorite seasoning. Every once in a great whiel I will add some red pepper flakes although i ahvent noticed a difference with that being added. To me, the brown sugar adds a whole new flavor and it is great.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: brine for chikin / turkey? - 10/25/15 04:29 PM

This is what I do and it comes out excellent!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum