Texas Hunting Forum

Named recipe help with quail and chukar

Posted By: Wburke2010

Named recipe help with quail and chukar - 10/05/15 03:15 AM

We went on a hunt a while back and got some quail and chukar. What is a good way that you have made it. Would like to do something special with it and not just grill it like chicken.

Walter
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Named recipe help with quail and chukar - 10/05/15 12:21 PM

I like my quail fried.

I tried to pan fry quail for several years. The breast never came out right because they have three sides, and the bones prohibited the flour from properly coating. A friend and I had an 840 quail year, so I had more than I knew what to do with them. I taught myself to butterfly the quail. I've show this to lots of people since, and it's the only way they cook their quail anymore.

The first and most important step is to cut off the ball and socket joints like this;

Next you run your scissors under the rib cage on each side.

Then you clip off the sternum.

Pull the bones over the front of the quail breast, and it's a done deal.

You have a butterflied quail breast which will pan fry in less than 3 minutes on each side. Use your pan drippings for cream gravy. You don't have to use an egg wash if you bread them 30 minutes or so before you fry them. The breading will get gummy, and they'll come out crisp.

I've deep fried them for a field trial crowd, but I serve those with french fries and store bought breaded okra.
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Named recipe help with quail and chukar - 10/05/15 07:41 PM

Thanks bill. I'll give that a try with the quail. Any ideas for the chukar?

Walter
Posted By: Cast

Re: Named recipe help with quail and chukar - 10/05/15 08:11 PM

You cleaned your fingernails!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Named recipe help with quail and chukar - 10/05/15 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: wburke2010
Thanks bill. I'll give that a try with the quail. Any ideas for the chukar?

Walter

I had some mixed grouse from North Dakota that I braised with white wine and mushrooms. They came out fine. I got the recipe from a cook book called going wild in the kitchen. You might google that. It made a pretty good presentation.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Named recipe help with quail and chukar - 10/05/15 08:34 PM

http://honest-food.net/wild-game/pheasan...r-or-partridge/

http://honest-food.net/wild-game/pheasant-quail-partridge-chukar-recipes/
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum