Texas Hunting Forum

Smoked Beef Ribs

Posted By: deedeetaylor

Smoked Beef Ribs - 09/19/15 09:28 PM

I made these ribs for my pregame meal-Hook'em Horns!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Smoked Beef Ribs - 09/19/15 11:47 PM

How were they?
Posted By: Bradgrace

Re: Smoked Beef Ribs - 09/20/15 02:10 AM

What cut of ribs are they? They look like a plate rib.
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: Smoked Beef Ribs - 09/20/15 02:48 AM

food

Re: Smoked Beef Ribs - 09/20/15 03:08 PM

Plate rib. Real easy cook. Smoked for 4 1/2 hours at about 250 degrees. Used charcoal with mix of apple wood and post oak in my small Weber Smoker. Very tasty.

Re: Smoked Beef Ribs - 09/20/15 05:24 PM

I've been looking for some to cook but can never find them in the grocery stores. Where did you get yours?
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Smoked Beef Ribs - 09/20/15 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Bradgrace
I've been looking for some to cook but can never find them in the grocery stores. Where did you get yours?

Aldi had them the last time I was there.

Re: Smoked Beef Ribs - 09/20/15 10:08 PM

Winnco-I asked at the butcher area and they brought it out from the back.

Re: Smoked Beef Ribs - 09/20/15 10:26 PM

Awesome thanks guys I'm going to try to track some down this week.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Smoked Beef Ribs - 09/21/15 05:19 PM

chef
Posted By: ijohnston

Re: Smoked Beef Ribs - 09/23/15 01:44 PM

I have never smoked a beef rib. Is there anything different than cooking pork ribs?

Rub, smoke temp, smoke time, internal temp?
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Smoked Beef Ribs - 09/23/15 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: ijohnston
I have never smoked a beef rib. Is there anything different than cooking pork ribs?

IMO, yes - low(close to 200 as you can stay), slow(can't rush or go over 225 - they'll dry out), and long(4+ hours).
In/on BEEF rib rubs, I use no sugars and use black peppers only (no paprika/ceyenne).

There is no 'internal temp' to attain or worry about (as in raw pork); the key is to not 'burn' the moisture out of the beef!

Posted By: PMK

Re: Smoked Beef Ribs - 09/23/15 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: oldoak2000

IMO, yes - low(close to 200 as you can stay), slow(can't rush or go over 225 - they'll dry out), and long(4+ hours).
In/on BEEF rib rubs, I use no sugars and use black peppers only (no paprika/ceyenne).

There is no 'internal temp' to attain or worry about (as in raw pork); the key is to not 'burn' the moisture out of the beef!

^^^ this ... if you burn the moisture out, you have jerky with bones in it and tougher than boot leather ... but when done right ... MmmmmmMmmmmmGood!

Re: Smoked Beef Ribs - 09/24/15 03:00 AM

I used my Weber Smokey Mountain smoker. I filled my water pan and smoked with charcoal and wood pieces at 250 degrees for 4 1/2 hours. I only mopped it once at 3 1/2 hours, The ribs were almost 200 degrees when I pulled them off and rested for 45 minutes. Not dry at all. And nice smoke ring too.
Posted By: ijohnston

Re: Smoked Beef Ribs - 09/24/15 01:04 PM

Originally Posted By: PMK
Originally Posted By: oldoak2000

^^^ this ... if you burn the moisture out, you have jerky with bones in it and tougher than boot leather ... but when done right ... MmmmmmMmmmmmGood!

So just kosher salt and pepper and maybe a touch of garlic (as I do my brisket) is what I am going to try. I typically smoke at 250 to 275 but will drop it down for this. Thanks guys.
Posted By: Tres

Re: Smoked Beef Ribs - 09/24/15 01:46 PM

I smoked some a month or so ago, just salt and pepper, 250 for about 4 hours. As you can see they were plenty juicy and tender.
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Smoked Beef Ribs - 09/25/15 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Bradgrace

Wal Mart generally has them, you have to look for them though, they are usually by the briskets or by the lamb
Posted By: conifer

Re: Smoked Beef Ribs - 09/25/15 03:00 AM

Darn.....just got through with dinner....looked at your picture, and mouth watered like crazy. NOT FAIR !
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum