Texas Hunting Forum

Quail recipes

Posted By: wesleyc

Quail recipes - 02/23/15 12:26 AM

My sons first quail hunt and we cleaned up on blues. Need some good recipe options to try out.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Quail recipes - 02/24/15 12:06 AM

Look up my recipe and pictures on my fried quail thread.
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: Quail recipes - 02/24/15 12:25 AM

Grill with garlic and melted butter.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Quail recipes - 02/24/15 12:27 AM

Flour and fry with gravy. You can make rice but I prefer my gravy over white bread. If there's anyone around that answers to Momma, Nana, or Mimi let them worry about cooking it.

Re: Quail recipes - 02/24/15 01:17 PM

I tried to pan fry quail for several years. The breast never came out right because they have three slices, and the bones prohibited the flour from properly coating. A friend and I had an 840 quail year, so I had more than I knew what to do with them. I taught myself to butterfly the quail. I've show this to lots of people since, and it's the only way they cook their quail anymore.

The first and most important step is to cut off the ball and socket joints like this;

Next you run your scissors under the rib cage on each side.

Then you clip off the sternum.

Pull the bones over the front of the quail breast, and it's a done deal.

You have a butterflied quail breast which will pan fry in less than 3 minutes on each side. Use your pan drippings for cream gravy. You don't have to use an egg wash if you bread them 30 minutes or so before you fry them. The breading will get gummy, and they'll come out crisp.

I've deep fried them for a field trial crowd, but I serve those with french fries and store bought breaded okra.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Quail recipes - 02/24/15 04:22 PM

I bet you could do dove the same way! Thanks for posting Bill!

Re: Quail recipes - 02/24/15 04:36 PM

The pulley bone comes out cleaner on dove. It's a little difficult to get the sternum and pulley bone out of quail. I also take the femur or thigh bone out of the quail legs. Some people prefer the quail legs over the breast.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Quail recipes - 02/24/15 08:18 PM

Scroll to the bottom. Several great quail recipes

http://honest-food.net/wild-game/pheasant-quail-partridge-chukar-recipes/
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Quail recipes - 02/24/15 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner

You have a butterflied quail breast which will pan fry in less than 3 minutes on each side. Use your pan drippings for cream gravy. You don't have to use an egg wash if you bread them 30 minutes or so before you fry them. The breading will get gummy, and they'll come out crisp.

I've deep fried them for a field trial crowd, but I serve those with french fries and store bought breaded okra.

I have a buddy that works for a quail farm. They sell processed quail to restaurants and meat markets etc. Their breasts look like that last pic bill, and they fry wonderfully.
Posted By: wesleyc

Re: Quail recipes - 02/25/15 05:08 PM

Thanks for the info and keep it coming, gonna try some out this weekend.
Posted By: magspa

Re: Quail recipes - 02/25/15 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
The pulley bone comes out cleaner on dove. It's a little difficult to get the sternum and pulley bone out of quail. I also take the femur or thigh bone out of the quail legs. Some people prefer the quail legs over the breast.

what technique do you use for the legs? sometimes i pull the meat to one end and cut around the bone, then pull meat to other end and cut around that end of leg bone and meat comes off inside out.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Quail recipes - 02/25/15 06:23 PM

I also clean up the legs, keep them both together, I like the flavor of the legs.

Re: Quail recipes - 02/25/15 06:25 PM

I just take the thigh bone out. It's easy to figure out. The bone will snip right out. I start at the top.
Posted By: tigger

Re: Quail recipes - 02/25/15 10:03 PM

I prefer to deep fry and that way I do not loose all the meat Bill does making yuppi quail
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Quail recipes - 02/25/15 10:05 PM

stick....fire......foood

Re: Quail recipes - 02/25/15 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: tigger
I prefer to deep fry and that way I do not loose all the meat Bill does making yuppi quail

You'll leave more meat on the bones by trying to ear around them.
Posted By: tigger

Re: Quail recipes - 02/25/15 10:25 PM

You have not seen this bone sucker
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Quail recipes - 02/26/15 01:58 AM

eeks333

Re: Quail recipes - 03/02/15 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback

eeks333

He may regret that one bolt
Posted By: PMK

Re: Quail recipes - 03/02/15 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

eeks333

roflmao
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Quail recipes - 03/02/15 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: PMK
Originally Posted By: redchevy

eeks333

roflmao

roflmao
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Quail recipes - 03/02/15 05:42 PM

I debone the breasts and separate each leg bone-in. Season with S&P, sautee in butter or oil of choice. Remove quail, add flower (half cup or so)and stir continuously for a few minutes. Then I add the quail back in with a half cup to a cup of white wine and 8-16 ounces of better than boullion (beef) and simmer for a half hour or so. I sometimes add mushrooms the last 10 minutes.

Serve over wild rice with biscuits. Can't beat it.

Re: Quail recipes - 03/02/15 06:45 PM

^^^ sounds great minus the wild rice.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum