Texas Hunting Forum

Cowboy Beans

Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Cowboy Beans - 02/02/15 05:44 PM

Anyone have a good recipe? A buddy of mine makes a pretty good pot, but won't share his family recipe!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Cowboy Beans - 02/02/15 06:16 PM

Buy a bottle of Williams chili seasoning mix. Add a tablespoon for each 2 pounds of beans. Hunk of salt pork or a hambone. Wait until they are about cooked and then salt to taste. No salt pork or hambone? Chop up a pack of country style bacon and dump some in. Not the sweetened bacon, that "stuff" in beans will ruin them.

For variations, add more Williams and a can or 2 of tomato sauce, chopped onions, sliced jalapenos, or red pepper flakes to taste. Or just follow the directions for making chili pound of beans equaling a pound of meat and you will have a vegetarian chili.

My guess is he is using the Fiesta brand bean seasoning mix, my first one puts that to shame.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Cowboy Beans - 02/02/15 06:24 PM

Put cilantro in them whatever you do.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Cowboy Beans - 02/02/15 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner

oh yeah.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Cowboy Beans - 02/03/15 02:53 AM

only at the end if you want the fresh taste of cilantro if not you cook it away to almost nothing! i always add mine in about 5 minutes before i turn them off...keep the lid on for about 10 minutes before you eat so the flavor works thru the pot up
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Cowboy Beans - 02/03/15 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: NewGulf

only at the end if you want the fresh taste of cilantro if not you cook it away to almost nothing! i always add mine in about 5 minutes before i turn them off...keep the lid on for about 10 minutes before you eat so the flavor works thru the pot up

Yep. People ask my why I don't put cilantro in my homemade salsa. It goes away with cooking.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Cowboy Beans - 02/03/15 10:42 PM

We skip the cilantro, and put it in a salsa to go with the beans. Over the years we have found some people do not care for cilantro or prefer only a small amount, with the salsa everybody is happy.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Cowboy Beans - 02/09/15 04:28 PM

Gonna try it this weekend.. thanks for the help!

For the record, I love cilantro, and anyone who doesn't has no business eating my food!!
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Cowboy Beans - 02/10/15 07:34 PM

Cilantro is said to remove heavy metals from the body! Good stuff. Don't forget always, and I mean ALWAYS through a Ham hock in the pot!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum