Texas Hunting Forum

Started the 2015 processing season.......

Posted By: skinnerback

Started the 2015 processing season....... - 01/17/15 07:39 AM

Nothing like some good pork breakfast sausage. Made some mild, hot, and extra hot. Turned out to be the best yet! My BIL showed up to help and we de-boned/ground/seasoned/packed 75 lbs the other night. It won't last long, especially since we split it. cheers

Samples were awesome, had to stop and pull out another skillet so to get two going at a time. Owens ain't got nothing on this!

Stuffing bags.

Love seeing tubs of goodness going to the freezer....

Re: Started the 2015 processing season....... - 01/17/15 07:57 AM

Prepping my son's buck for jerky. For those who wonder, the pale color on the outside of the meat is from the ice it was packed in. No there is nothing wrong with it, just leached of blood on the outside.

Tub of jerky meat about to be seasoned....

Seasoned and will hit the dehydrator tomorrow followed by snack sticks if I have the time to get it done. Next is venison summer sausage, then hickory smoked pork sausage, then (pork) chorizo.

Then who knows what else. I need to pop a few more pigs and also use up a few of the seasonings that I have left from last year. Will make some more brats...but want to try the hot & sweet Italian seasonings in fresh sausages.....
Thanks for lookin'

Re: Started the 2015 processing season....... - 01/19/15 02:31 PM

1'st batch of deer jerky, good stuff! The kids attacked it like starving dogs. roflmao
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Started the 2015 processing season....... - 01/19/15 02:37 PM

up
Do you have a pellet ice maker or did you buy the ice?

Re: Started the 2015 processing season....... - 01/19/15 02:49 PM

That ice was bought. I have an ice maker at the ranch that makes little cubes, have another one at home but haven't set it up yet (will soon). I go through a lot of ice so looking forward to not buying anymore.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Started the 2015 processing season....... - 01/19/15 02:55 PM

Lookin tasty!
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Started the 2015 processing season....... - 01/19/15 03:57 PM

That's unreal- you really look like you know what you're doing.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Started the 2015 processing season....... - 01/19/15 03:59 PM

food

Re: Started the 2015 processing season....... - 01/19/15 04:12 PM

I'm learning, there is a whole list of meats that I haven't got to yet. up

Re: Started the 2015 processing season....... - 01/21/15 05:47 AM

Didn't have time to fire up the smoke house today, so doing skinless venison snack sticks in the oven......
Double ground/seasoned ran threw 1/8" plate.

Mixed the HOT batch, will begin tomorrow....

Never done skinless snack sticks in the oven before. I prefer stuffing them in 19mm collagen casings and putting in the smokehouse, but my 3/8" stuffing tube is AWOL so going this route tonight.

In the oven, but they are sticking to the grate. From now on I will be spraying the heck out of the grate.

Re: Started the 2015 processing season....... - 01/21/15 05:51 AM

I did a 25 lb batch so will have 3 or 4 more batches to go to work out the sticking bug....house smells good though food

Re: Started the 2015 processing season....... - 01/21/15 01:56 PM

Skinner, what do you set the oven on for those snack sticks?

I got my old man a jerky gun deal for part of his Christmas so we are going to try this. Looks great!

Re: Started the 2015 processing season....... - 01/21/15 06:09 PM

Thanks man, I set the oven at 200 with the door cracked open.
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Started the 2015 processing season....... - 01/22/15 04:51 PM

Those sticks look awesome.. would you mind posting your mixture?

Re: Started the 2015 processing season....... - 01/22/15 06:34 PM

Thanks skiner

Re: Started the 2015 processing season....... - 01/22/15 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Stevarino
Those sticks look awesome.. would you mind posting your mixture?

Here you go Steve...

I've been using this brand for all of my meats for several years now, I like it. I did two batches, one regular & one HOT. I mixed one bag of seasoning/1 oz of cure/and added smoked Hungarian Paprika to the whole 25 lb batch, then split into two meat lugs. The regular was OK, would be good for kids & such, just didn't have that zap I was looking for. I meant to also add garlic powder but I forgot hammer The HOT batch I did last night turned out great, I added both crushed red pepper and ground red pepper to it. I'm about to weigh/bag/freeze the rest to stuff into snack stick casings and put in the smokehouse. The oven/dehydrator method works but I miss that smoke flavor.

Re: Started the 2015 processing season....... - 01/22/15 11:19 PM

This is next. Gotta big pig on ice right now that I'm about to start de-boning. I love this Chorizo seasoning.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Started the 2015 processing season....... - 01/22/15 11:29 PM

I am always looking for seasoning ideas, thanks for sharing

Re: Started the 2015 processing season....... - 01/22/15 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
I am always looking for seasoning ideas, thanks for sharing

Yes sir, me too. up

Re: Started the 2015 processing season....... - 01/23/15 02:21 AM

So I've learned a few things using the jerky cannon/oven. The meat mixture of course tastes better after leaving in the fridge over night for the seasonings to incorporate. The directions don't call for the cure to set overnight since it is finely ground meat, but in my opinion it turns out better that way. The most important lesson I've learned is to spray the racks well with Pam or whatever you choose to use. I destroyed the 1'st batch due to sticking, and then I fell asleep waiting on it and over cooked it so I have a big bag of dog treats now. This batch came out right on the money, is good stuff for doing in the oven. In my oven @ 200 degrees, dry for 1 hour, flip, dry for another hour and then takes anywhere from 10-30 minutes to get the bite that I want. Kinda like ribs in the pit, when I pick one up holding from the center and it has a somewhat firm but still flexible/tender texture that hangs down it is done. Folds over with just a little stiffness. If you put back in for much longer it will be over dried and tuff to eat. Once the sticks cool down on the rack they turn out just right. I over cooked a few batches until I found the texture that I was looking for. Now I know, just thought I'd share this info for those who may appreciate it. Got a few bags ready for the kids to try.

Re: Started the 2015 processing season....... - 01/23/15 03:16 AM

These are fresh out of the oven, mild just dusted with garlic powder when they went in food I have several more batches to do but won't post any more pics of snack sticks, will post again when I change categories. Thanks for lookin'.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Started the 2015 processing season....... - 01/23/15 01:44 PM

What brand of grinder is that? Looks like a great set up!

Re: Started the 2015 processing season....... - 01/23/15 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
What brand of grinder is that? Looks like a great set up!

It's a Weston 22, 1 HP. Thing's a beast.
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Started the 2015 processing season....... - 01/23/15 04:38 PM

Thanks for posting.. I have just enough spare ground in the freezer to at least try 25 lbs.. i can taste it now.

Between this and your smoked pig leg, my super bowl party should be a hit next weekend... cheers

Re: Started the 2015 processing season....... - 01/23/15 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Stevarino
Thanks for posting.. I have just enough spare ground in the freezer to at least try 25 lbs.. i can taste it now.

Between this and your smoked pig leg, my super bowl party should be a hit next weekend... cheers

cheers up
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Started the 2015 processing season....... - 01/24/15 04:43 AM

I have to say it again; your stuff just flat looks good!

Re: Started the 2015 processing season....... - 01/24/15 04:54 AM

Thank you, I'm learning. I have batch #3 in the oven now with one more to go. If I can find what I am looking for I will be making chorizo tomorrow. I love this stuff, from the trigger to the table. up

Re: Started the 2015 processing season....... - 01/26/15 01:52 AM

Here we go! Got Mr. Porker de-boned & ready to grind. Love home made chorizo. The "La India" chorizo seasoning is the best IMO! 3 days in the fridge and it gets bagged. 80/20 pork/bacon ends and pieces. Can't wait to fry up some potatoes and toast some corn tortillas.....hmn.

Normally when we do chorizo we do 100 lbs at a time, but I am working alone again so just did 40 lbs tonight. This stuff smells awesome! Now to clean up and call it a night. Hope all is well with my THF brethren.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum