Texas Hunting Forum

Rolling Smoke....in the pit!

Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/07/15 09:28 PM

Got a cpl hogs...

After a few days on ice...soak 'em a couple of hours in tomato juice and orange juice....

...then gather the prep spices for the pit....

...pork back strap with crushed pineapple, brown sugar, and molasses...

Also, a little venison back strap...with grilled onion, mushrooms, and spices....

A little pork tenderloin....honey mustard and spices....

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/07/15 09:29 PM

More wild pig back strap...chipotle, ro-tel, and other spices.....

All ready to cook....9 different concoctions at once....

Went on the pit at 2:00pm! Be ready to eat after about 14-18 hrs at 175F-225F!

Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/07/15 09:31 PM

Dang that looks really good!

food
Posted By: Mud

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/07/15 09:33 PM

You need a winch. It would make cleaning those pigs a lot easier.

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/07/15 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Mudshark
You need a winch. It would make cleaning those pigs a lot easier.

Ya think????? I should post a question about what kind of w"i"nch I should get..... bolt
Posted By: General Guts

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/07/15 09:37 PM

Nancy Baby wants your slab hangers in your garage.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/07/15 09:40 PM

youve got it goin on bro what time is supper gonna be ready?
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/07/15 09:40 PM

You need 2, one winch and a wench. One to raise them, the other to gut and clean. up
Posted By: John2

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/07/15 09:45 PM

Looks awful good cheers

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/07/15 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
You need 2, one winch and a wench. One to raise them, the other to gut and clean. up

You still tryin' to get me shot!

Originally Posted By: NewGulf
youve got it goin on bro what time is supper gonna be ready?

Be done on the pit about 4-6am....then let it all rest and marinate in their juices....should be an awesome lunch tomorrow.....

...which brings me to my next problem (the "wench" was the 1st problem)...LOL

When I cook, I tend to use old family recipes that make way too much for us. When I grill, it's a whole hog (or as in this case, lot's of meat) all at once...

Can anyone recommend a good vacuum-pac food storage system that is a good value for both the unit and consumables (bags)? I need to be able to store cooked and raw foods for future use in the most economical way possible. Right now using freezer paper and Ziploc bags but need something much better than that.
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/07/15 09:58 PM

Whoa!!! That all looks awesome food Well done SnakeWrangler! Hope you have a large group of friends to enjoy all that smile
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/07/15 09:59 PM

Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/07/15 10:00 PM

We use the FoodSaver system and rolls/bags. Works great!

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/07/15 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Thanks! I need something! My chili recipe uses 6 lbs of meat (plus all the other stuff) and I have an amazing "Jalapeņo soup" recipe that make about 2 gallons of soup! It's all wonderful 'til you've been eating on it for a week or so! Kind of wears on the appetite after a while!
Posted By: Txkiller

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/07/15 10:22 PM

Very nice!

flehan
Posted By: janie

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/07/15 10:33 PM

That looks wonderful! food
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/07/15 10:43 PM

Do you compete?

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/07/15 10:51 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Do you compete?

No Sir...strictly a "stay-at-home" amateur cooking for family and friends.
Posted By: fowlplayr

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/07/15 11:05 PM

Looks great! But I'm confused. Whats the point in wrapping it then putting it on the smoker? scratch

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/07/15 11:10 PM

Originally Posted By: fowlplayr
Looks great! But I'm confused. Whats the point in wrapping it then putting it on the smoker? scratch

I open them up periodically to marinade and the open the up the last few hrs for a better smoke flavor (cooked with mesquite) .... it maintains moisture to keep them tender by keeping them wrapped. Also, lets me cook multiple "flavors" in the same pan. Ease of handling.
Posted By: wacorusty

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/08/15 12:25 AM

cheers
Posted By: DannyB

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/08/15 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Thanks! I need something! My chili recipe uses 6 lbs of meat (plus all the other stuff) and I have an amazing "Jalapeņo soup" recipe that make about 2 gallons of soup! It's all wonderful 'til you've been eating on it for a week or so! Kind of wears on the appetite after a while!

How about sharing that Jalapeno soup recipe. Any soup that you can eat for a week has to be good. smile
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/08/15 06:00 AM

up food
Posted By: ijohnston

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/08/15 02:43 PM

Can't wait to see the finished product.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/08/15 04:30 PM

looking good! up

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/08/15 06:40 PM

It's all done....

Venison back strap with grilled onion and mushrooms....

Black pepper venison tinder loin.....

Salt, black pepper, and garlic powder wild pig back strap....

Ro-tel & chipotle pepper wild pig back strap (my 2nd favorite!)....

[URL=http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/snakewrangler1/media/DSC07196_zpsafa08c22.jpg.html][/URG]

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/08/15 06:41 PM

And my favorite! Wild pig back strap with crushed pineapple, molasses, and brown sugar.......

Also, a little wild pig tenderloin...

....a little more wild pig back strap....

...and little more wild pig back strap.......
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/08/15 07:12 PM

Awesome! food Yeh I'd say you need a Food Saver ha ha...
Posted By: PMK

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/08/15 08:18 PM

yep ... definately need to get a vacuum sealer. I will check to see what brand/model ours is. My wife wanted one for Christmas a few years ago, SIL bought her one (less expensive model), wife researched and found a much better choice (but a lot more $$$). It's been great ... cause when I fire my pit, I normally will load it up with all sorts of various things (brisket, pork loin, ribs, sausage, burgers, etc.), way too much to consume in a few days. I usually do several different sets of ribs using different rubs & flavoring, pull when I am done smoking, let cook, vacuum seal and to the freezer for later. Then my wife usually pulls out a set, thaws, cuts in half, drops in crock pot some morning with a little water & a bouillon cube on low ... ready when we get home. Similar with hamburger patties (beef & sausage), cool & vacuum seal, makes for an easy meal later on or when unexpected company shows up.

all yours looks good!!!
Posted By: ThreePeppers

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/08/15 09:05 PM

Wow, I'm so hungry now its not even funny... Might have to try one or two of those this weekend.

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/08/15 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: PMK
yep ... definately need to get a vacuum sealer. I will check to see what brand/model ours is. My wife wanted one for Christmas a few years ago, SIL bought her one (less expensive model), wife researched and found a much better choice (but a lot more $$$). It's been great ... cause when I fire my pit, I normally will load it up with all sorts of various things (brisket, pork loin, ribs, sausage, burgers, etc.), way too much to consume in a few days. I usually do several different sets of ribs using different rubs & flavoring, pull when I am done smoking, let cook, vacuum seal and to the freezer for later. Then my wife usually pulls out a set, thaws, cuts in half, drops in crock pot some morning with a little water & a bouillon cube on low ... ready when we get home. Similar with hamburger patties (beef & sausage), cool & vacuum seal, makes for an easy meal later on or when unexpected company shows up.

all yours looks good!!!

I'm in the same boat (as you can see), when I fire the pit I want to make the most of it....lol Way too much to eat over a few meals.....
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/08/15 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted By: PMK

all yours looks good!!!

I'm in the same boat (as you can see), when I fire the pit I want to make the most of it....lol Way too much to eat over a few meals.....

I do the same thing. I like to cook plenty extra and portion out/vacuum seal/freeze for quick meals later. up
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Rolling Smoke....in the pit! - 01/09/15 05:36 PM

Looks outstanding sir
© 2019 Texas Hunting Forum