Texas Hunting Forum

Ribs

Posted By: wacorusty

Ribs - 12/29/14 03:25 PM

Let me tell you about my mistake yesterday. I cooked some ribs too long too high. It was cold and damp so my fire kept dropping. I let it jump up to 400 a couple of times and it didn't seem to be a problem. Well, I followed the 3-2-1 and I should have done 2-2-1. Ribs were tough and black. Still good flavor and nobody else complained, but they were a flop for me. Lesson learned. Good side is my elk sausage, Anasazi beans and taters were awesome.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Ribs - 12/29/14 04:01 PM

that's why I love the masterbuilt. set it and forget it.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Ribs - 12/29/14 08:33 PM

yikes, 400* ... yeah I would think you would need to cut down on the time running that high. I normally hold my smoker at 180-200 for the 3 hours smoking.
Posted By: Pointer

Re: Ribs - 12/29/14 11:06 PM

I've gotta say, I cook as good a rib as anyone around (that I've tasted). I use a simple rub that my wife makes, (It consists of 12 cups salt, 1 cup course chopped garlic, 4 oz. black pepper, 2 oz. white pepper, 1/2 ounce cayenne pepper, and a 2 oz. can of ginger) and I rub this mixture onto the ribs well. nothing like a heavy coating or anything, just make sure that all surfaces of the rack was rubbed. I don't bother skinning the membrane off, brining, or anything else. I cook over direct heat on a Weber, turning every twenty minutes four times. I then wrap them in foil, and put em in the oven at 250 for another two hrs.

Hard to beat? Oh yeah! People who have tried them say so, and if you don't like 'em falling of the bone tender, look elsewhere.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Ribs - 12/29/14 11:21 PM

Sounds pretty salty grin

Re: Ribs - 12/30/14 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback
Sounds pretty salty grin

If you are referring to the rub, yep it is salt based.
If you are referring to the ribs, by the time they come out of the foil, not at all. I have never had a complaint to that effect, and have had compliments come from all around the table everytime I've done them this way.

Re: Ribs - 12/30/14 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Pointer
Originally Posted By: skinnerback
Sounds pretty salty grin

If you are referring to the rub, yep it is salt based.
If you are referring to the ribs, by the time they come out of the foil, not at all. I have never had a complaint to that effect, and have had compliments come from all around the table everytime I've done them this way.

I was referring to the 12 cups of salt, thinking you meant 2 cups...

Re: Ribs - 12/30/14 02:45 AM

12 cups of salt? really?

Re: Ribs - 12/30/14 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By: wacorusty
Let me tell you about my mistake yesterday. I cooked some ribs too long too high. It was cold and damp so my fire kept dropping. I (unintentionally) let it jump up to 400 a couple of times and it didn't seem to be a problem. Well, I followed the 3-2-1 and I should have done 2-2-1. Ribs were tough and black. Still good flavor and nobody else complained, but they were a flop for me. Lesson learned. Good side is my elk sausage, Anasazi beans and taters were awesome.

Re: Ribs - 12/31/14 06:34 PM

For those questioning my using 12 cups of salt....the correct amount is 12 cups of salt.

Now that said, this stuff goes along way....my wife makes up a batch in a crock, and weve been using out of the same batch for quite a long while. I use it on all types of red meat.

Here it is in her words:

Secret Seasoning for Meat

12 cups salt
4 oz. can black pepper
2 oz. can white pepper
2 oz. can ginger
1/2 oz. can cayenne pepper
1 cup coarse chopped garlic

"Put ingredients in a crock or big glass container. Mix well and cov er with a cloth and let set at least a week before using. Stir every other day.
Note: I (being she) use a generous amount of this seasoning and worstershire sauce EVERY time I cook beef of any kind. It makes delicious hamburger patties for the grill. Bottle attractively and give to friends." Donna Gaye Arnold
Posted By: Cast

Re: Ribs - 12/31/14 06:36 PM

I like salt, that sounds good. BUT, I would be very tempted to add a half bag of light brown sugar.

Re: Ribs - 12/31/14 06:38 PM

up

Re: Ribs - 12/31/14 06:48 PM

Pointer ... ah ha! I think others were thinking you were using the whole mixture at once ... which would make it pretty dang salty. That recipe is for "batch" to use/last over time.

Re: Ribs - 12/31/14 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: PMK
Pointer ... ah ha! I think others were thinking you were using the whole mixture at once ... which would make it pretty dang salty. That recipe is for "batch" to use/last over time.

That's right roflmao I was like wtf 12 cups of salt, on some ribs hammer rofl

Re: Ribs - 12/31/14 10:25 PM

yep, I was thinking like that too but knew that just couldn't be the case ... 12 cups is 3 quarts, might be enough for brontosaurs ribs
Posted By: Auctioneer1

Re: Ribs - 01/09/15 03:37 AM

I use a vertical wood smoker hard to beat. I smoke with Apple Wood for 3hrs use a spray bottle and spay Apple cider and beer on them every 30min then bring them inside spread butter and honey on them then wrap with foil and put them back in the smoker for 1hr thank me later and your welcome.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum