Texas Hunting Forum

Turkey leg sausage?

Posted By: BlakeJ

Turkey leg sausage? - 12/05/14 03:19 PM

I always feel guilty about leaving turkey legs, but they're just so dang tough. I was thinking about saving all of them up, deboning, brining, mixing 50/50 with pork, and making some sausage. Thoughts? Does anyone do this? I'm wondering what to season it with.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Turkey leg sausage? - 12/05/14 03:30 PM

I don't think you need to brine them-that's only to keep them moist if roasting/smoking them. If you want to make sausage, just debone/grind/mix with pork and go, using a standard venison sausage seasoning kit or recipe. Another option would be to season them with poultry seasoning, toss them in a crockpot with some chicken bouillon & water or chicken stock and cook them on low for 4-6 hours. Could do the same thing in the oven, just put them in one of the turkey bags with the chicken stock and go low/slow.
Posted By: activescrape

Re: Turkey leg sausage? - 12/11/14 10:48 PM

I make soup, turkey and dumplings and turkey pot pie with the legs and thighs. Slow simmer for a few hours, debone, dice and use in the above recipes. Or you can pressure cook it for faster results, then use in the recipes.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Turkey leg sausage? - 12/12/14 01:19 PM

I make turkey sausage gumbo or chili out of mine. Both come out fine.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Turkey leg sausage? - 12/13/14 06:28 PM

Usually use turkey legs in Gumbo or Pot Pie. Pressure cooker gets the meat tender and off the bone quick.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Turkey leg sausage? - 12/14/14 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I make turkey sausage gumbo or chili out of mine. Both come out fine.

We get a smoked turkey from work. Makes the best gumbo around.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum