Texas Hunting Forum

bison chili?

Posted By: TXHogger

bison chili? - 10/22/14 11:34 PM

Anyone ever try something like this?
I wanted to make some smoked chili and thought about using bison and pork.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: bison chili? - 10/23/14 12:34 AM

you sure can make it! sad to say its been about 20 years since ive had any but it really was some of the best ive ever had! up
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: bison chili? - 10/23/14 03:03 AM

No beans!
Posted By: Erny

Re: bison chili? - 10/25/14 01:54 AM

Make it all the time. I do not add another meat to the chilli. Bison has a very rich beefy test it would seem like ashame to add pork. Oh and by the way I do add beans to my chilli.

Re: bison chili? - 10/25/14 02:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Erny
Make it all the time. I do not add another meat to the chilli. Bison has a very rich beefy test it would seem like ashame to add pork. Oh and by the way I do add beans to my chilli.

Do you grind it?
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: bison chili? - 10/25/14 04:24 PM

Well, I highly value bison and think it is better than beef so I'd probably eat it as is. If real tough- maybe bison burgers on a grill but since it is similar to beef it seems bison would be great in chili. When I use beef I cut it in 1" squares in chili so you get a chuck of meat to eat. If the bison is real tough, stewing it a long time in chili ought to bring it around. I'd leave the pork out.
Posted By: udamdan

Re: bison chili? - 10/26/14 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: TXHogger
Anyone ever try something like this?
I wanted to make some smoked chili and thought about using bison and pork.

Go for it and share the pics Bro !
Posted By: Erny

Re: bison chili? - 10/27/14 04:48 AM

Originally Posted By: TXHogger
Originally Posted By: Erny

Do you grind it?

Yea
Posted By: Texas Tatonkas

Re: bison chili? - 10/27/14 04:29 PM

Made some last night for dinner,

1 lb. ground bison

2-3 TBLS Olive Oil

½ white or yellow onion – use a cheese grater to grate into pan

2 cloves of garlic crushed

28 oz crushed tomatoes

1 can pinto beans drained and rinsed

1 can of kidney beans drained and rinsed

1 shiner bock

1-2 TBLS Chili powder, 1 tsp garlic powder,1 tsp onion powder, ½ tsp paprika, ¼ tsp cumin, salt and pepper to taste

Coat the bottom of a large pot with olive oil, sauté crushed garlic and onion. Cook until tender 3-4 minutes. Add bison, salt and peper, and brown. Add ½ shiner bock (if it gets too thick you can add more later). Allow to cook down for about 3 minutes, then add tomatoes and beans. Add seasonings depending on your taste. Cover and allow to simmer.

Serve with: chips, fresh onion, fresh jalapeno, cilantro, cheese, sour cream, lime juice, etc.

Re: bison chili? - 10/27/14 06:11 PM

mine turned out really good.

aside from what you did above, i added 1/3lb pork, 1/2lb chili meat, 1 smoked jalepeno - seeds removed, 1 1/2 habanero - seeds removed, 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1/2 cup picante sauce.

tomatos, peppers, garlic and onion were first smoked for about two hours.

turned out great. has a quick kick from peppers but it doesn't linger so you can still taste the 2nd and remaining spoonfuls.
Posted By: aggielandman

Re: bison chili? - 10/29/14 04:14 PM

This post makes me hungry for some chili.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum