Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone taken a stab at this

Posted By: Ricochet83

Anyone taken a stab at this - 10/21/14 01:33 PM

So i want to try something different with my processing this year and i am curious if anyone has tried this. I am going to make sausage but what i want to do is roughly 70% venison, 10% wild hog and 20% brisket. The brisket is the new thing but i think if i can find the fatty briskets i should get the fat content i need and it will make it super juicy and change the flavor profile just enough to make it different. Anyone used brisket in their sausage before?
Posted By: wacorusty

Re: Anyone taken a stab at this - 10/21/14 02:14 PM

$3 per lb for brisket, I'm out

Re: Anyone taken a stab at this - 10/21/14 02:22 PM

yes it is a little pricy but since i am not and have never used a processor the added savings of doing it myself makes it not so bad.
Posted By: wacorusty

Re: Anyone taken a stab at this - 10/21/14 02:42 PM

I might go 60/20/20. I just like a little more fat in my sausage.

Re: Anyone taken a stab at this - 10/21/14 02:51 PM

yeah i am still on the fence about the percentages thats just my initial thinking but it will be a trial and error thing at first i am sure anyways to get the right percentages.
Posted By: Weegs

Re: Anyone taken a stab at this - 10/21/14 02:55 PM

We use 75% Deer, 25% Brisket in our ground venison. We find that it has just enough fat that it browns really well without having so much Brisket that it drives cost out of sight. We also check for specials and buy a couple when the price is good. Cube them up and package in 5lb packages. We do the same thing with the deer thru the season. Makes it real easy when it is time to break out the ginders.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Anyone taken a stab at this - 10/21/14 03:00 PM

My uncles sausage recipe calls for 50% deer 25% pork and 25% beef. Its not bad but I prefer it without the beef personally.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Anyone taken a stab at this - 10/21/14 04:54 PM

needs way more fat.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Anyone taken a stab at this - 10/21/14 06:21 PM

I've thought about it, but never tried adding brisket. The hard fat (like the deckle on a brisket & most of the fat cap) doesn't render very well so I've always been scared to try it. Last year I even saved the fat off of a couple of briskets and bought 5 more lbs of beef fat from the local butcher to grind for a sample batch of deer sausage, but ended up changing my mind and feeding it to my pig dogs grin Maybe I'm missing out, I dunno. I use pork fat instead.

Re: Anyone taken a stab at this - 10/21/14 07:15 PM

I think if ground the hard fat will render on beef, It typically doesn't on a brisket because it is in too big of a chunk.

We have made beef/pork jap and cheese sausage for the grill and the beef fat rendered fine.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Anyone taken a stab at this - 10/21/14 07:55 PM

Yeh you're probly right. Maybe I'll give it a shot this year and see. It's just hard for me to get away from adding bacon. grin
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Anyone taken a stab at this - 10/22/14 04:26 PM

Pork fat holds up better over time than beef fat. If you aren't going to eat it in < 3-6 months I'd go straight pork.
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Anyone taken a stab at this - 10/22/14 04:40 PM

Guess I'm a "Po Boy" but the brisket is out. Save that for Q. I'd get cheap pork shoulder and add that. I had some where the guy had added a little minced carrot and tomato sauce/ketchup in with the venison/pork and it was very good but he wouldn't share the magic recipe.

Re: Anyone taken a stab at this - 10/22/14 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Scott
Guess I'm a "Po Boy" but the brisket is out. Save that for Q. I'd get cheap pork shoulder and add that. I had some where the guy had added a little minced carrot and tomato sauce/ketchup in with the venison/pork and it was very good but he wouldn't share the magic recipe.

Them pigs aint as cheap as they used to be!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum