Texas Hunting Forum

Dyna-Glo Vertical Offset Smoker

Posted By: RossCravens

Dyna-Glo Vertical Offset Smoker - 09/11/14 09:34 PM

I am thinking about buying a smoker, but I have never used a vertical smoker before.

What do y'all think about this one?

Do any of y'all have one, or know someone who has one of these? Good or bad?

I really appreciate any input y'all can give me!

Thanks!
Posted By: PMK

Re: Dyna-Glo Vertical Offset Smoker - 09/11/14 10:45 PM

I don't have one like that ... but I kinda like the looks of the concept for smoking. price seems pretty reasonable, not sure how long it would last (probably really thin metal, firebox burn out quick).
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Dyna-Glo Vertical Offset Smoker - 09/15/14 07:33 PM

I would have to pass on that one due to firebox design.
Posted By: Classic Rocks

Re: Dyna-Glo Vertical Offset Smoker - 09/15/14 07:42 PM

Firebox looks awfully small even for a charcoal-only cook. All the vertical smokers I have had ran hot even with extensive mods (baffles, deflectors, etc).
Posted By: Sparky45

Re: Dyna-Glo Vertical Offset Smoker - 09/26/14 01:14 AM

I have given up looking for this type of smoker I can afford and would have.

Lifetyme in Uvalde makes a nice combination smoker with a nice big vertical stack but they are $1500

I have just about decided to make mine this fall. I have a design I can do using 2 sheets of 4X8 10 gage steel.

I think I can pull it off for under $500

the one OP posted looks ok in principal but I have seen them in person and you can dent the metal with your fist.
I think it would rust out pretty quickly
Posted By: cb66

Re: Dyna-Glo Vertical Offset Smoker - 09/26/14 04:03 AM

If you like that style, like I do, look for a used New Braunfels Bandera.
Posted By: Auctioneer1

Re: Dyna-Glo Vertical Offset Smoker - 09/29/14 02:21 AM

Call your local Academy and see if they carry the OLD COUNTRY VERTICAL SMOKER. I bought mine last year for $300 and love it I burn charcoal and wood mix cooks great.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Dyna-Glo Vertical Offset Smoker - 09/29/14 02:51 PM

agree with Sparky45 on fairly quick burn out of fire box. My dad used to make pits out of 55 gallon barrels, but quickly learned to line the bottom with fire bricks to make them last much longer.
Posted By: Dave B

Re: Dyna-Glo Vertical Offset Smoker - 10/08/14 06:26 PM

Good for 5 to 6 years. Save your money and get one built like it. Have a buddy building me one with a 5' X 3' X 3' smoke box with a side wood box that is 2' X 3' X 3' for 800 bucks similar to the one you posted. The one I am getting built will last a life time.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Dyna-Glo Vertical Offset Smoker - 10/10/14 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: cb66

these are great smokers... just so happens i've been thinking of selling mine and buying a Traeger
Posted By: sevensixtytwo

Re: Dyna-Glo Vertical Offset Smoker - 10/17/14 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
Originally Posted By: cb66

these are great smokers... just so happens i've been thinking of selling mine and buying a Traeger

Everyone I know three people with a traeger and all three have nothin but problems with them. But they bought them quite a few years ago. Maybe the kinks are worked out now. Something about the feeder, then the heating element.
Posted By: hallfns

Re: Dyna-Glo Vertical Offset Smoker - 10/17/14 05:08 AM

I purchased a bandara and it took about 8 years to rust through. So that wasn't the problem, the metal is too thin to hold heat steady and it took a rick of wood to smoke a brisket!

Ok, not a rick but way too much.
Posted By: Dave B

Re: Dyna-Glo Vertical Offset Smoker - 10/17/14 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave B
Good for 5 to 6 years. Save your money and get one built like it. Have a buddy building me one with a 5' X 3' X 3' smoke box with a side wood box that is 2' X 3' X 3' for 800 bucks similar to the one you posted. The one I am getting built will last a life time.

Almost complete and will last a lifetime.
Posted By: Gacman

Re: Dyna-Glo Vertical Offset Smoker - 10/27/14 07:56 PM

I just sold my offset on craigslist a that I bought at wallmart in 1994. They made them a little better back then, and I guess I took good care of it. It was in bad shape, but still good enough to sell. I've cooked so much meat on that pit over the years. I almost shed a tear when the guy drove off with it. But I didn't.
Posted By: Gacman

Re: Dyna-Glo Vertical Offset Smoker - 10/27/14 07:57 PM

I have a pit for sale in the classifieds ritht now too. Search for BBQ smoker trailer. And I'm in the market for a new back yard pit. Open to all options.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum