Texas Hunting Forum

BBQ Cookoff Cook's Choice???

Posted By: redchevy

BBQ Cookoff Cook's Choice??? - 09/08/14 05:03 PM

Doing a bbq cookoff this weekend. Never done the cooks choice entry before, but think we are going to this year. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: BBQ Cookoff Cook's Choice??? - 09/08/14 08:04 PM

Smoked prime rib?

Re: BBQ Cookoff Cook's Choice??? - 09/08/14 09:09 PM

Sounds interesting but out of the budget for now.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Re: BBQ Cookoff Cook's Choice??? - 09/09/14 02:50 PM

Nobody else has ideas? I don't want your secret family recipe just some ideas up
Posted By: PMK

Re: BBQ Cookoff Cook's Choice??? - 09/09/14 09:07 PM

I have no idea what cook choice types of things would be at a cook-off? what about some of the candied bacon, death by bacon, the mooink balls, etc. or would it normally be a specific cut of meat???

beer can (or Dr. Pepper can) chicken, st louis style ribs, pork butt/roast ... might find a chunk of sirloin/rib eye (but might break the bank too)...

not overly familar with "organized cook-off" type things ... educate me please.
Posted By: booger

Re: BBQ Cookoff Cook's Choice??? - 09/09/14 09:15 PM

pounded out chicken breast rolled and stuffed with peppers (slices or chunks) and cheese (cream or a blend of different ones) then wrapped in bacon. Smoke or grill.

Re: BBQ Cookoff Cook's Choice??? - 09/09/14 10:48 PM

I appreciate the thoughts guys. Im not real big into it, its a fundraiser cookoff for the local 4h/ffa.

From my understanding it can be pretty much any kind of meat. Some people have done steaks, pinwheels, stuffed pork loin etc. I am thinking about trying pulled pork just didn't know if there were other ideas.

The pounded chicken sounts like an interesting idea, thanks booger ill think that one over some.
Posted By: booger

Re: BBQ Cookoff Cook's Choice??? - 09/09/14 11:21 PM

Marinate it in tequila for added flavor. Ideas can be endless with a simple recipe. Try out 2-10 different varieties and see what you like and others too!

I have a buddy that always does well with it at $$ cook offs.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: BBQ Cookoff Cook's Choice??? - 09/10/14 12:35 AM

I've been wanting to try cup cake chicken, just to throw that out there. Myron Mixon is pretty arrogant but he knows how to cook & have been eye balling this recipe for a while just haven't tried it yet. It's also hard to beat pulled pork. cheers
Posted By: wacorusty

Re: BBQ Cookoff Cook's Choice??? - 09/10/14 12:26 PM

Pulled pork is cheap and full of flavor. Slow and low!

Re: BBQ Cookoff Cook's Choice??? - 09/10/14 01:19 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I think we are going to go with a couple and pick the best. So far the pounded chicken, pulled pork, and someone I know suggested stuffed shrimp. Those are all relatively small so I think we may just do all 3 and pick our favorite and turn it in.

Thanks again.

matt

Re: BBQ Cookoff Cook's Choice??? - 09/10/14 01:39 PM

take pictures as you build it up (and the finished product) ... I am always looking for new ideas
Posted By: wacorusty

Re: BBQ Cookoff Cook's Choice??? - 09/10/14 02:00 PM

cupcake chicken always goes quick around my peeps

Re: BBQ Cookoff Cook's Choice??? - 09/10/14 02:26 PM

Ok im going to google cupcake chicken... never herd of it before today.
Posted By: Gill_97

Re: BBQ Cookoff Cook's Choice??? - 09/10/14 04:17 PM

I just won a cooks choice with a pork loin stuffed with sliced mango & pineapple. filet the loin out and spread some cream cheese. put the sliced fruit in the loin and roll it back up. Cook and baste with something you like. I used a mango habanero jelly I found at HEB. I've also won it the year before with using boudain instead of the fruit.
Posted By: Gill_97

Re: BBQ Cookoff Cook's Choice??? - 09/10/14 04:18 PM

use fresh fruit and if it isn't sweet, roll them in some brown sugar before the cook.

Re: BBQ Cookoff Cook's Choice??? - 09/15/14 01:30 PM

Sorry forgot to take pictures. I made the stuffed chicken breast. It was a hit with my friends and family although not with the judges. Have a few tweaks for it next year that hopefully will help out.

I butterflied the chicken breast then pounded it down to a little over 1/4 inch with a meat hammer, seasoned with my home concoction rub put a thin layer of cream cheese over it put sautéed onion and red and green bell pepper over the cream cheese then rolled it up wrapped in bacon and grilled. Took about an hour and 15 minutes cooking at 250-275 to get it done. I was told we got some of the highest marks for appearance. It needed a little more salt though.

Thanks for the ideas everyone, there is always next year.

Re: BBQ Cookoff Cook's Choice??? - 09/15/14 03:43 PM

up friends count more than the judges ...

and I now have to try the cupcake chicken, looks pretty good (for chicken)
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum