Texas Hunting Forum

i need a recipe for a whole hog

Posted By: SpoonPlatoon

i need a recipe for a whole hog - 02/27/13 06:41 PM

I'm going to pick up a 35 lb hog tomorrow and I'm going to cook him on the smoker on Friday. Any suggestions on a recipe or how and what temp to smoke it?
Posted By: PMK

Re: i need a recipe for a whole hog - 02/28/13 03:38 PM

Domestic or feral?

Rub down with olive or vegetable oil, dry rub mixture of fine ground black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt, red pepper (cayenne) generously coating all over and rubbed in. Put on smoker at ~170-180F with heavy smoke (I prefer a mixture of oak & some type of fruit wood, like pecan, peach, pear, etc.) bringing up to and maintaining internal temperature of meat at 150-155F for about 4-5 hours mopping every 30-45 minutes. Place a pan of water (or beer) between hot part of pit & meat.

Mopping sauce using 2-3 cups beef stock/bouillon as the base, lime juice, orange juice, vinegar, Worchester sauce, liquid smoke (mesquite), ½ beer and ½ stick butter with black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt and a little cumin or chili powder (not much) in a sauce pan, bring to a low boil, reduce heat to simmer 20-30 minutes. Mop down meat with sopping sauce every 30-45 minutes. After 4-5 hours of heavy smoke, kick fire up to 225-250F to bring internal temperature of meat up to 180-190F for another hour to hour and a half (give or take based on density of the meat). You might need to adjust smoking & cooking time based on weight. I did similar for a ~25 lb ham off a feral hog and it turned out phenomenal …
Posted By: Navasot

Re: i need a recipe for a whole hog - 02/28/13 03:40 PM

dig a hole....get some goooood coals going in the pit....wrap that sucker in foil with onions, garlic, beer...etc. then set that sucker on a stand above the coals and cover the hole with plywood....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Posted By: Navasot

Re: i need a recipe for a whole hog - 02/28/13 03:40 PM

O you gota smoker....same thing just without the hole lol
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: i need a recipe for a whole hog - 02/28/13 04:22 PM

What PMK said - and use Pecan wood, but put Apple Juice or Apple Cider in the pan instead of water.

Did my most recent one with apple juice for the first time; all I can say is WOW, never again without; - it was so good that Wife, kids, and me continued gnawing on the bones for 5 min even after every morsel of meat was gone ; and -0- leftovers!

Re: i need a recipe for a whole hog - 02/28/13 04:34 PM

yep, apple juice or cider work very well ... I have even used root beer that gives it's own unique twist of flavors ... I usually have water or beer around the pit that I can refill the pan was my reasoning for using that laugh

Re: i need a recipe for a whole hog - 02/28/13 07:43 PM

Will it be ok to add fruit chips to mesquite? Should I soak the chips in water before hand?
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: i need a recipe for a whole hog - 02/28/13 09:02 PM

Are you skinning or scalding?

Re: i need a recipe for a whole hog - 02/28/13 09:16 PM

Skinning

Re: i need a recipe for a whole hog - 02/28/13 10:11 PM

I usually start off with a good charcoal bed, let it start to ash and then add the real wood. I have a small foot tub sitting next to my pit that I toss the wood into and fill with water when I first start the charcoal, so the wood can soak/absorb the water so as to not catch fire but produce heavy smoke. I add more charcoal to maintain the heat level.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum