Texas Hunting Forum

How to Break in my smoker

Posted By: ATXan

How to Break in my smoker - 02/18/13 03:25 PM

I found an old smoker, sanded all the rust off and repainted it with paint specifically made for grills and smokers. So I have been told to break it in several ways. 1. Just build a hot fire 2. rub it with lard and build a hot fire 3. rub the inside and out with vegetable oil and build a fire....someone tell me how I should do this. Thanks!
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: How to Break in my smoker - 02/18/13 03:38 PM

If it's an old smoker then it should be seasoned already. The paint on the outside doesn't matter, it's all about the condition of the steel on the inside. I've re-seasoned several pits/smokers. If it was rusty on the inside and you buffed it down, just rub the smoke chamber down good with vegetable oil, lard, or my favorite bacon grease. Get a fire going & let it go for a while. As the steel heats up & expands it will re-season itself with whatever you rubbed it down with. That's a start, the smoker will continue to season as you cook on it. Remember, seasoning a smoker/pit is most important when you're dealing with a brand new cooker. You season a new shiny cooker to (1) protect the inside & keep it from rusting, & (2) keep your food from tasting like metal the first time you cook on it. Hope this helps. Post some pics of some BBQ!!
Posted By: centxshooter

Re: How to Break in my smoker - 02/25/13 01:01 AM

I typically will whipe out the interior of new smokes with some towels then spray it with pam and burn several chuncks of Hickory and oak. My newest smoker I burned out for about 5 hours and it hitting temp everytime and tastes great
Posted By: redchevy

Re: How to Break in my smoker - 02/25/13 04:23 PM

Like skinnerback said clean it whipe it with lard or vegi oil or something and build a fire.

I was always told not to build a hot fire when seasoning.
Posted By: PMK

Re: How to Break in my smoker - 02/25/13 04:39 PM

^^^ x2.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum